What sewing machine do you have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 95 Old 05-08-2006, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And why did you pick that particular one? What machine do you secretly dream of owning if $$$ was no object

I have 2 vintage kenmores, a vintage singer,a necchi, a pfaff and a brothers. I also have a pfaff serger.
I would love to own a bernina becuz they seem so awesome and reliable. Honestly I can't justify buying another machine
For the type of sewing I like to do which is home decor and clothing I'm all good with the ones I have. I love my singer and the kenmore 47...those are real workhorses. In fact if I were just getting into sewing I think I'd look for a vintage machine to start with. My vintage machines are all metal, simple, you can work on them yourselves, parts are readily available (feet and accessories) and you can't beat the price. If you keep your eye pilled you can really find a treasure.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#2 of 95 Old 05-08-2006, 10:51 AM

I have a vintage Kenmore that I used for twin needle stitching only although it hasnt been out for a few years. My love is my Viking Freesia 415. Everything about that machine is so intuitive to me. I don't think I've ever needed to look at the manual even. It makes sense to me. It has some nice features like being computerized and there aren't any dials. The bobbin can be wound from the needle, drop in bobbin, fix button so I don't have to backstitch, and it's pretty quiet for a sewing machine which is nice as I usually sew during naps or bedtime.

If money were no object I'd get a designer 1 or I think its the babylock ellure.
#3 of 95 Old 05-08-2006, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a Brother CS100T and love it its so easy to work. Not sure what would be my dream sewing machine though.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#4 of 95 Old 05-08-2006, 08:26 PM

I have a Brother PC-6000 sewing machine.

a Janome 204d serger - a great and economical workhorse
a Babylock Imagine serger - wonderful! esp. since I change thread colors so often
a White 3300 embroidery machine - another good little workhorse
and I just got for my birthday, a Brother ULT-2003D embroidery machine.

I love all my machines!
#5 of 95 Old 05-08-2006, 08:31 PM

I'm a sewing novice. I just bought a White, Sewing Professional from my local Sew 'N Vac. It's a budget machine, but if I like it & I use it, I can trade it up to a better machine.
#6 of 95 Old 05-08-2006, 08:32 PM

I have a vintage Kenmore as well. I learned to sew recently on it... and its so pretty! I was just given an older model Singer as well.....
None of them fancy, but all of them do thier job!

:
#7 of 95 Old 05-08-2006, 08:37 PM

I guess that I should add that I do have a vintage singer console machine & an old Viking 610.
#8 of 95 Old 05-08-2006, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmreinke
I have a Brother PC-6000 sewing machine.
Oh, I have that machine too. It was my first "real" machine purchase and I really love it. I haven't tried many of the extra stitches but the utility stitches are great! I've been very pleased with it.

#9 of 95 Old 05-08-2006, 09:14 PM

I've got a Brother Innovis 4000D for my main sewing machine and a BabyLock Evolve for the serger. I LOVE LOVE LOVE both but I upgraded from a $100 sewing machine and a serger I paid $250 for 10 years ago. They are both around I just haven't gotten around to getting rid of them.

Deb
#10 of 95 Old 05-08-2006, 09:20 PM

I have a brother innovis NX400Q. It was my dream machine, so I'm happy as a pig in mud with it.

My serger is a husquvarna 905. I looked at a bernina while serger shopping and would have rathered that, but didn't have the $ at the time.
#11 of 95 Old 05-08-2006, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a singer Featherweight, from my grandmother (though I learned to sew on my mom's featherweight), and a Pfaff Hobby 1040. It's a workhorse machine, really simple. I was happy with the old singer; but the buttonholer didn't work--and my friends' solution ("just don't do things with buttonholes") didn't really 'do' it for me.

I don't know what I'd get if money were no object. Could be fun to do machine embroidery. I've heard that, for free motion quilting, Bernina makes a pretty spectacular new machine, with automatic tension control.

A serger might be more generally useful to me.

Mom of two girls.
#12 of 95 Old 05-08-2006, 11:30 PM

I have a Babylock Ellure and a vintage Singer hemstitcher. I really want a machine that does better freemotion quilting than my Ellure. I probably will just get a lower end Pfaff or Bernina although the new Berninas do look awesome.

I don't have a serger.
#13 of 95 Old 05-09-2006, 12:06 AM

I have a Singer 6038 which I really like. SImple, easy to use and does whatever I need. However I am thinking about getting a new machine, one that is digital and has lots of decorative stitches. I also have a Necchi Lydia 3 and an old Elgin.
#14 of 95 Old 05-09-2006, 01:23 AM

I have used Bernina industrial machines for thirty years for my soft toy, doll fashion and plush design business. I have an 850, a 950 (my personal favorite) and a big 217N. All of these are Swiss built, and really fine 'horses'. I also have a White overlock (a real workhorse!) a New Home (Janome) My Lock634D overlock and also a Janome embroidery/quilting machine.
I just love the Berninas--they have been so good to me, but I had a new one for awhile-- not Swiss one, but built in Thailand, and what a 'donkey' that machine was- I got rid of it!
#15 of 95 Old 05-10-2006, 12:56 AM

I have a janome harmony 2049 and really do like it. it was the best machine I could afford, had the features I wanted ands good reputation for quality. I would like to move up the line a bit though. one with the computerized thread tensioning and automatic threading would be nice.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#16 of 95 Old 05-10-2006, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

I go back and forth on computerized v. mechinical. I love love love my computerized machine, but live in fear that the kids will "do" something to it, or the motherboard will go bad or it'll get wet or a magnet will come too close. Anything. I think if it ever dies I'll by a mechinical one to replace it. Even though my machine has a bazillion decorative stitches. I've never once used any of them. I only use the utility stitches. So knowing how I sew I probably spent more than I needed to, but I wouldn't trade her for anything

#17 of 95 Old 05-10-2006, 11:34 AM

I also have the Janome Harmony and I kind of hate it now. I loved it at first but it has gone all funny: it sticks when I push the petal down or try to backstitch. I just turn the wheel but it is kind of a pain. I supposed it needs a tune up. I can't take it apart, too, which irritates me. I took all the screws out but the thing just will Not come apart! Guess Im really going to have to take it in. :P Can't wait to trade up.

I have a white superlock and it kind of sucks too but it was free The stitches just don't seem to hold sometimes. and doing lettuce leaf on it seems to be nearly impossiable... it seems to work ok with about one stitch! haven't quite figured out this whole thing, yet.
#18 of 95 Old 05-10-2006, 02:13 PM

the can't take it apart thing does suck. i dropped my seam ripper into mine (don't ask) and had to have some dresses done that night (costumes for the nextmrning) and I must have takne 30 scews out of that thing. not all went back in. and **** I just got it open a crack and had to shake out the seam ripper. i do have the service warrenty though and will be taking it in for a tune up in a couple of weeks. I will let you know if it helps because there i some stuff that is getting wonkey. But I just assumed it was because it was long overdue for a proper cleaning. I have sewn a lot including 12 dozen flannel diapers. that will make a machine cry for a cleaning.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#19 of 95 Old 05-10-2006, 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=ud
I have a white superlock and it kind of sucks too but it was free The stitches just don't seem to hold sometimes. and doing lettuce leaf on it seems to be nearly impossiable... it seems to work ok with about one stitch! haven't quite figured out this whole thing, yet.[/QUOTE]

Your White could probably use a new blade (and needle). A good oiling could help as well. All machines need regular servicing by a competent and professional sewing machine mechanic. The timing could be off, or it could be a nicked or damaged hook. If it has been serviced recently, the mechanic might have missed something.
#20 of 95 Old 05-10-2006, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi
All machines need regular servicing by a competent and professional sewing machine mechanic. The timing could be off, or it could be a nicked or damaged hook. If it has been serviced recently, the mechanic might have missed something.
That's what I love about the mechinicals. I'm the competent and professional sewing machine mechanic. I can do anything to my vintage machines. I've taken my kenmore and singer apart and cleaned them top to bottom, oiled and lubed them and got them purring like a kitten. Me! I did it! I'm rehabbing a pfaff right now, but it's killing me, becuz the parts are so spendy and hard to come by.

I'm seriously intimidated by my serger and my computerized machine. But I guess that's the price of progress

#21 of 95 Old 05-10-2006, 05:59 PM

Good for you, sabrinat!! I have never learned how to set the timing. How were you able to learn to do that?
#22 of 95 Old 05-10-2006, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi
Good for you, sabrinat!! I have never learned how to set the timing. How were you able to learn to do that?
I joined a bunch of machine related yahoo groups. There are tons of people who love vintage machine and just want to share their knowledge. Most of them have retired mechanics and dealership owners and they are a fountain of info. I learned a little known secret though, according to some of the gurus on the lists most machines do not go out of timing...that's like when you go to the doctor w/some kind of vague symptoms and upper resp. thing they always say it's a virus. It's something that satisfies most folk and validates that there's a problem, kwim. They said usually it's something simple almost 95% related to user error. I was skeptical, but I have found that the majority of the time when I thought something was wrong with the timing or tension it really had to do with my thread, my needle, my bobbin or how I threaded the machine. Not the machine. But, back to your original question...If you have an older mechinical machine and you get a service manual for it or sometimes the owners manual will tell you how to adjust everything. Amazingly the owners manual for my singer 503 tells you everything, they wanted you to take it apart yourself, it told you every place to oil and lube the machine and how to adjust the tension on the bobbin. It was like they wanted you to be able to really take care of your own machine.
I did have one machine that I owned...a plastic wonder that was a piece of junk...the tension was never right no matter what it was set on...sometime you do get what you pay for.

#23 of 95 Old 05-17-2006, 10:18 AM

I have a brother from walmart, the most basic model, that will be a great learning machine for my daughter , but it has major tension issues. I have an old new home machine that I just got and also an old Necchi...that old Necchi is such a wonderful machine. I also have a brand spankin' new Janome 634D serger that I really like, it was a slight upgrade from my Kenmore...that Kenmore was a good machine too...
#24 of 95 Old 05-17-2006, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Nita,
congrats on baby magdalena
I love my Necchi too. It's a workhorse in the true since of the word. Which one do you have? I have a bu nova.

#25 of 95 Old 05-22-2006, 01:10 AM

neat, sewing machine lovers after my own heart.

I own a Janome Harmony 8080, a janome made Kenmore serger (with the lay in thread tension disks) and a Janome Coverpro 1000cp. If I were to have no limit on the budget I'd get one of the viking designers. I have to say that I really do enjoy my machines though.
#26 of 95 Old 05-22-2006, 02:26 PM

I have 2 older metal Kenmores. I love them, except the bobbin winders slip on both of them. Oh well, I hated winding bobbins anyway.
#27 of 95 Old 05-22-2006, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
I have 2 older metal Kenmores. I love them, except the bobbin winders slip on both of them. Oh well, I hated winding bobbins anyway.
Those were some really well made machines. They should last your practically forever with a little tlc. Enjoy!

#28 of 95 Old 05-22-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat
Nita,
congrats on baby magdalena
I love my Necchi too. It's a workhorse in the true since of the word. Which one do you have? I have a bu nova.
Thank you!

I can't really find a ton of info on mine but I do know it was made in Taiwan, so it's not considered one of the "classics" like you have! It's a 523? ( http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals....temNo=smm1807a this one) It is a verynice machine though, almost flawless!

My New Home is a 552. It is an "advanced" machine, very many stitches, I can't wait to use it! DH bought both machines for me right before
Magdalena came so I haven't had a ton of time to research them. I did get lucky and find a manual for the New Home, and even luckier that the Necchi came with its manual.
#29 of 95 Old 05-23-2006, 02:03 AM

I have a babylock serger, a 1960's singer, a 1980's singer and a brother, I use the brother the most, but I can't wait to up grade and get some fancy stitches.
The antique singer has soo many stiches etc but I'm scared to really push it
#30 of 95 Old 05-23-2006, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajira
I have a babylock serger, a 1960's singer, a 1980's singer and a brother, I use the brother the most, but I can't wait to up grade and get some fancy stitches.
The antique singer has soo many stiches etc but I'm scared to really push it
Which singer are you calling antique, the one from the 60's or the 80's When I read that I had to laugh since I was born in the 60's and hadn't yet begun to think of myself as antique . I prefer to think of it as vintage since antique usually refers to something over 100 years.
If you have a 1960's era singer depending on which model it is, it's virtually indestructiable, I'd push it to max! Sew and enjoy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page