What is the difference between canvas and duck fabric? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-15-2006, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am shopping on-line for fabric to make a Mei Tei type carrier and I am not sure what type of fabric to use.

So does anyone know what is the difference between canvac and duck fabric? On the picture they seem to be the same, or very similar. I need some heavier weight fabric for the straps.

Any advice?
#2 of 7 Old 05-15-2006, 09:58 PM

The terms seem to be used interchangeably, but duck has a tendency to be slightly rougher and heavier than canvas.

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#3 of 7 Old 05-15-2006, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!
#4 of 7 Old 05-16-2006, 12:46 PM

Canvas and Duck are two different weaves. Both can come in varying weights, but Duck is a two by two weave, and Canvas is a flat weave. Canvas will always seem stiffer or 'boardier' in comparison because the weave allows a greater thread count. The '2B' weave in Duck allows for greater air circulation and was used for nautical clothing because it would dry out faster that Canvas.
Canvas would make much better straps for a carrier as the weave makes it more durable. Duck is softer and more pliable, and is better suited to clothing for that reason. It would be better for the body of the carrier. HTH.
#5 of 7 Old 05-16-2006, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi
Canvas and Duck are two different weaves. Both can come in varying weights, but Duck is a two by two weave, and Canvas is a flat weave. Canvas will always seem stiffer or 'boardier' in comparison because the weave allows a greater thread count. The '2B' weave in Duck allows for greater air circulation and was used for nautical clothing because it would dry out faster that Canvas.
Canvas would make much better straps for a carrier as the weave makes it more durable. Duck is softer and more pliable, and is better suited to clothing for that reason. It would be better for the body of the carrier. HTH.
Thank you for the great description!!
#6 of 7 Old 05-16-2006, 03:30 PM

In my experience - duck is much stiffer than canvas. I have made MT straps out of both and they both work really well. Just prewash and it will soften up quite nicely. I was a little worried the first time I used duck because it was so stiff. But it has made some of the nicest MT straps.

Good luck with your project.
#7 of 7 Old 05-16-2006, 04:56 PM

Sometimes Twill will be labeled as Canvas, but this is a misnomer. Twill is much softer with a an obvious diagonal pattern in the front face of the material and the back will be flat. Poplin is another fabric that is mistakenly called Canvas.
If you look closely at the surface of Duck fabric, you can see the distinct 2B weave that gives it a bumpy surface. It does soften up nicely when washed. Duck was very popular in the early sixties, when I was a child, and it is still one of my favorite fabrics. It wears pretty well, although the more open 2B weave makes it prone to snagging in the more loosely woven variety.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page