Good Soapmaking books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-21-2002, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to learn how to make soap from scratch. There are so many books out there. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've seen a couple of books at the library by Susan Cavitch. They seem to be pretty good, but then so did the book I got out at Christmas and look where that took me ( see thread "Soap emergency) LOL!!

Thanks in advance!

C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-21-2002, 12:08 PM

I have the Natural Soapmaking book and the Soap Makers Companion. I think they complement each other nicely. They are by the same woman, and much of the info is repetitive, so you could get by with just one.
#3 of 7 Old 01-22-2002, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks LaLa.

Those are the books that I have from the library right now. If you had to pick one, which would you pick? I got a gift certificate to a bookstore for my b-day today and want to buy a soap book.

Have you ever heard of Natural Soapmaking by E. Browning? It seems interesting, it uses things like mild dishsoap as a base for bubblebath. I like the idea of enhancing other products, but I am not sure about dishsoap. I have very sensitive skin and can't wash dishes without gloves, so it wouldn't work for me but as a gift, maybe. I know that you are a soapmaker, what do you think?

Thanks again for replying! i appreciate it!

Christina
#4 of 7 Old 01-23-2002, 04:21 AM

hey, I have senistive skin too and I have learned to avoid products with propelyne glycol in them if I am using them on my skin....maybe that will help some.....

Not all those who wander are lost 
#5 of 7 Old 01-23-2002, 10:59 PM

I have both of the books by Susan ****** Cavitch but if I could only have one it would the Natural Soap Book (not the companion) You can cut the recipe down as they make a lot of soap. I sell soap and I get about 40 bars out of 3/4 of her batch size. The soap essentials bar is very nice. I took a soap making class and the best thing I got out of it is to do your lye in the sink. I was afraid of using the lye, but the teacher told us that if your container was to overheat and break or overflow or tip over it would just clean your drains and there would be no harm done. The stir time can be pretty long on some recipes and you need to stir at a good pace. I invested in a bar mixer (those straight mixers) for about $20 and it mixes the soap very fast (careful if you use it though because it can go so fast that you seize the soap) I just pulse and then stir, pulse and stir. Hope something here made sense. There are other books available but of the ones I have bought all I got were recipes and ideas and frankly there are plenty of those online. The book above is very good instruction.
Sheri
#6 of 7 Old 01-23-2002, 11:54 PM

i agree with sheri about the books
#7 of 7 Old 01-24-2002, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sheri! I would love to take a class, unfortunately i haven't been able to find one in my area. I will keep looking though!

I appreciate the tip about the lye in the sink. I will keep it in mind.

C.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page