Where to buy supplies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-13-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I placed an order with OSDS over the weekend, but so far I have not been impressed. I emailed them to add something to my order and never received a confirmation email back. Then I called them this morning and left a message asking them to confirm if they got the email. A few hours later, I called back since I still hadn't heard from them (I took into account the time diff.) and someone finally answered. He said they wouldn't even be shipping my order until tomorrow, and that sometimes it can take up to 5 days to ship! So, after an ignored email, an ignored phone message and 3 days to pack and ship my order, I'm looking for someplace new.

Can you recommend a place with responsive customer service, that ships the same day you place your order, or the next business day?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 06-13-2006, 04:47 PM

I get my stuff from www.sewzannes.com She has pul, hemp, aplix, elastic etc. She is in Cali, I'm in Ohio and I had my order in 2 days!
I don't think I've ever read much of anything good re: OSDS.
#3 of 17 Old 06-13-2006, 04:48 PM

That stinks. My order with them came very quickly.

You could try http://www.sewshoppe.com/ I ordered from them last time and they were quick. I'm not sure how quickly they ship though since I ordered over the weekend.
#4 of 17 Old 06-13-2006, 05:56 PM

Hmm my order came fast with osds. I only ordered touch tape, but now that makes me nervous to order from them again. That stinks too, because thier prices seem good.
#5 of 17 Old 06-13-2006, 06:04 PM

Yeah, OSDS has some customer service issues from my observation/experience. I think partly b/c they have a niche in the diaper sewing world. I like a few sellers on ebay that have stores b/c they're fast and nice and helpful... but it depends on what you're looking for.

I tend to co-op b/c while it's slower, it's cheaper and I know who I'm dealing with, etc. I'd rather wait b/c I KNOW I'm waiting than purchase and then wait and wait when something should have taken a few days to get to me.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#6 of 17 Old 06-13-2006, 07:15 PM

I order almost everything through OSDS. I can't be 100% sure, but it seems like they have set shipping days, twice a week. They aren't a big company! Just a family run (and local to me) business, but they have almost everything I need, so I'm more then willing to support (my) local business and wait a few extra days, then send my money to a bunch of large companies that ship fast. But I'm a pretty patient person

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#7 of 17 Old 06-13-2006, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so impatient! I will fully admit that, and it drives me crazy that I can't get touch tape or FOE or any of that stuff at my local fabric stores. Plus this is my first order, and I'm itching to start using that stuff, so it's not like I have some supplies on hand. And I was disappointed by the lack of responsiveness to my email and phone call, especially since this is my first order.

Sewshoppe and sewzannes are local (to someone) small businesses as well, so if I do switch suppliers it's not like I'm ordering from WalmartDiaperSupplies.com
#8 of 17 Old 06-13-2006, 09:49 PM

Lol! It's true. I think that to be competitive you HAVE to have good customer service. To be honest that's part of why people love the Darling Diaper patterns (other than they are delivered fast), she responds *very* quickly when you ask her questions - there's something to that, people feel valued and they come back again (or refer). I wouldn't with OSDS unfortunately, with my own experience - but when you're limited then I guess you have to decide what is most important. I don't know...

It makes me nuts that I can't get lastin, FOE or any of the good diaper supplies anywhere near me either... but I sure do enjoy when I get them in the mail - it's like Christmas!

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#9 of 17 Old 06-14-2006, 03:30 PM

I have always gotten my shipments very quickly from OSDS. But I know how family run businesses are, sometimes life gets in the way and they get backed up on orders. Especially if you order on the weekend. I think they make a point to not do anything on the weekends (smart, I think), and then they have to catch up on the first part of the week because a lot of people order stuff on the weekends.
#10 of 17 Old 06-14-2006, 04:59 PM

Oh, gosh, I know it's sooooo hard to wait when you are excited to get started on something! I'm practically jumping on the mailman when I'm waiting for stuff to come USPS, and I'm worse than the dog getting all excited when the Fedex truck comes.

If you place an order over a weekend, it wouldn't seem fair to me to expect that it would be shipping same day or even next day ~ if you order on a Sunday and they come in to pull orders together on Monday morning from the weekend, unless it's a slow weekend, they'll have orders from Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday. The first time they may be looking at them is Monday. Besides, I know when I drop off orders for Fedex ground at Kinko's, it only ships out Monday through Friday, so if I take something on Saturday, it's going to hang out there until Monday. For USPS, I can request a pick up, but I have to request it a day in advance, so if I get an order on Saturday, the earliest I can ask them to pick up is Monday.

Hope you love your goodies when they do reach you!
#11 of 17 Old 06-14-2006, 06:30 PM

I think so long as you never email or call OSDS, you'll probably be fine with them. The customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

I mostly order from www.diapercuts.com (actual shipping!!!), but she is on babymoon. She's my absolute fave WAHM though. I also order from Sewshoppe.com and have been *very* happy--quick shipping, wonderful customer service and she has a cheap shipping option if your order is going to be very lightweight. On ebay, Daigle fashions is great, she has FOE and print PUL, ships fast and is very nice. Co-ops are great if I can wait for the items, but I'm usually too impatient!

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#12 of 17 Old 06-14-2006, 07:17 PM

Oh I cant wait until diapercuts reopens they have some really cute stuff.

Like I need more fabric.
#13 of 17 Old 06-19-2006, 11:07 AM

I second www.diapercuts.com. Beth is fabulous! I can't wait to order more when she comes back in July!

Marie- Mom to David- c/s 2/1/03, Andrew VBAC 2/13/06 and Ashee unplanned unassisted homebirth 10/10/09
#14 of 17 Old 06-20-2006, 08:32 PM

Oh my god, its like you wrote the exact comments I came in to ask today. How weird. I placed an order on the 14th. Today is the 20th and i noticed my order STILL had not even been processed. After an email reply i just now find out they take up to 5 working days to ship per their policy. That should have been today no? I think that policy should really stand out on their site.

Anyhoo, I like you, am waiting to get started and hate the fact that i cant find FOE anywhere else. I left a msg earlier today asking if I could also add on to my order but after reading your post I probably wont get a call back right away.
#15 of 17 Old 06-20-2006, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slestudillo
Oh my god, its like you wrote the exact comments I came in to ask today. How weird. I placed an order on the 14th. Today is the 20th and i noticed my order STILL had not even been processed. After an email reply i just now find out they take up to 5 working days to ship per their policy. That should have been today no? I think that policy should really stand out on their site.

Anyhoo, I like you, am waiting to get started and hate the fact that i cant find FOE anywhere else. I left a msg earlier today asking if I could also add on to my order but after reading your post I probably wont get a call back right away.
Maybe try ordering the additional supplies from another vendor and see which arrives first...
#16 of 17 Old 06-21-2006, 01:26 PM

My first order was through OSDS, and there were no problems. If I need something quickly, I'll go there again. They have most of what I need/want. So sorry you're having trouble!

I do love the co-ops, though, when I can afford to wait. The variety is awesome, and it's fun anticipating my stuff. I really like being part of a group of people who are all excited about "our" purchases! I've learned about new items doing this. You do have to watch out though, and be sure who you're dealing with. Some are better than others.
#17 of 17 Old 06-21-2006, 01:46 PM

Concerning www.sewzannes.com,

Suzanne is a sweetheart!! She is really nice on the phone too. I really like my order from her

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page