What kind of sewing machine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2003, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
would you sewing ladies recommend for someone who is new to sewing?? MY DH said I could get one! AND I am so freaking happy!!!!!!! I just want to know what brands are good and what ones to avoid... I plan on doing the HB diaper pattern for my first project. ANd I hope to venture into making some clothes for my family. So what would you recommend??
Thanks Mamas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2003, 02:35 PM

I have a White. It is the only sewing machine I have ever owned. It has all metal parts and I taught myself to sew. It came with an instructional video and I've been sewing ever since. Don't buy a machine with lots of fancy features. It will only confuse and frustrate you. Get a machine that is basic with all metal parts for durability. I decided if I kept sewing I would get a fancier machine with more features. I have never found the need for anything fancier. Although, I would like to get a serger one day.

You can make dipes with a basic White. You can make clothes, anything. Sewing is so much fun! I'm so glad that you are getting a machine! Congrats and happy sewing!
Old 03-12-2003, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks KAssi...

I have decided to go with a basic machine because I am so easily confused What do you mean all metal parts? I have never even heard of a White...do you know where I can look at one online? Thanks
Old 03-12-2003, 09:06 PM

http://www.whitesewing.com/

This is a link to White. The "guts" are all metal making the machine much more durable. I would not get a brother or other similar brand because the parts are plastic. This was advice given to me when doing research on selecting a brand. My sewing machine was very inexpensive. $120.00 and it has been super great! I have been using it for 5 years.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:07 PM

T Wow our babies were born the same month! What day is your little ones birthday?
Old 03-12-2003, 09:09 PM

OOPS! Same year, not month. I read that too quick!
Old 03-12-2003, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

lol...Jayden was one of the names for our baby though and Bailee was born October 3rd...MAkenna was born July 9th. I am goingtogo check out that site... Thanks!
Old 03-13-2003, 06:37 PM

I have a Kenmore that I love- go to Sears and you can find great-featured machines at good prices.

A sewing machine is great- I repair the kid's clothes, diapers- you name it- have made some clothes and toys and sewed puppy bath capes for both my nephews last Christmas.

This from a girl who almost flunked home ec because I couldn't sew an A-line skirt. Left by myself to do it my way, I do pretty good with sewing.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 03-14-2003, 03:23 AM

I have to listen to my mom talk about sewing machines regularly.
She has been a homeEc teacher for 21 years now, and a county extension agent for 15 years before that! She has seen them all!
If you want to do a lot of applique and embrodery, even by hand, a Bernina or a Pfaff is the way to go. For simple sewing and a machine that is tough as nails, get a Viking. Not the new daisy, or whatever it is called, it is made by White.
I am glad you have had a good experience with your White, mama-kass, but I would never, ever buy one. They have unpredictable quality.
The way to get a good machine for pretty cheap is to go to a good repair shop and buy a reconditioned machine that is at least 15 years old. Mom got me a "new" Viking for my last birthday this way. It is 27 years old and I absolutely love it. It is a nicer model, but solid as anything and sews anything like butter. It is my other baby!
Actually, if you want another tough as nails, sew anything heavy machine, the Singer Jeans machine from, I think the early-mid 70's is a good one.
If you do get a new one, then I agree with the Kenmore recommend, they are pretty good, otherwise you have to pay quite a bit to get a really good machine. As the saying goes, they just don't make them like they used to!
When you do get a machine, make sure you ask about either a class or an informal one on one training in your machine. It is nice to have someone explain all the features and really show them to you instead of you figuring them out a few years down the road. Even if you don't use, or don't think you will use a feature, at least you know it is there!
Old 03-18-2003, 08:11 PM

Mine is a Viking Husqvarna, supposedly built to last! It's very basic, but it does most everything I want for basic projects!
Old 03-22-2003, 04:55 PM

I have a Husky by Viking that I got new in '96 because it had all metal parts and has held up great. We bought my mom a White for her 50th last year and spent twice as much on it as mine but I think mine sews better.
As for Berninas... let me wipe the drool off my chin. If you've got the money I highly reccomend them for quilting as well as general sewing, I know you can get their embroidery machines but I'm more into the quilters edition model. I don't have one but go into work 2 hrs early so I can use the ones in our classroom. I do love my Viking but I would drop it in a hot second if I was offered a Bernina at a price I could afford.
Like RasJane said try to buy it from a store that offers classes along with your purchase. You may also want to ask at local quilting or fabric shops and see if they reccomend any machine dealers. As for buying an older machine I just inherited a White Superlock 534 the great -grandma to my White Speedylock and it is amazing what a difference all the metal parts in the older serger make. My newer one is now in it's box because I love the smooth as silk sewing of the older one.
Ahhh sewing...I can't wait until my mom gets here so I can work on my current project!
QM
Old 03-23-2003, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

I got a machine and I didn't have to pay for it It is a 1950 Singer and it was my mamaws. She bought it new , and while in a conversation with my dad today about buying a machine he went to his basement and brought this machine up! I haven't gotten to try it because I don't have any thread or anything to sew. But I cannot wait until I do! I'll let you all know....oh and he let me borrow this machine until I could decide on the one I want and to learn on Wish me luck!

User Tag List