I'm Giving up. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 06-22-2006, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just follow the directions, I spray them, let them air dry, and then throw them in the dryer for 10 minutes. Then I wash them again and they are good to go, I never give them any special treatment. I tried nikwax, but the PWG lasted much, much longer and doesn't smell hardly- nikwax stinks. I have a very large rotation, but the pul was very water-resistant for at least a year. With heavy use, probably a few months? I dunno. But no, I don't wash them differently
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 33 Old 06-28-2006, 05:03 AM

So here's an interesting thought to throw into the mix, as I noticed you have an uncircumcised boy...sometimes when boys are not circumcised (I have 3 and none of mine are) there urine stream is more forceful because it sort of balloons out at the foreskin before it comes out. With tighter forskins (my older 2 boys have this issue) it can actually create a VERY forceful urine stream. My 2 year old absolutely cannot wear pocket diapers of any kind because his urine stream is so strong that the diaper cannot absorb it fast enough...regardless of the type of insert used (I think it has to do with the fact it needs to wick through the microfleece or suedecloth to get to the soaker, but it is such a strong stream that it just sort of goes right out of the diaper).
After way too many leaks when trying out a couple of different kinds of pocket diapers with a wide assortment of inserts, I settled on fitted diapers and wool covers. These never leak - the cotton is able to absorb the stream and the wool is absorbant as well.
I know this does not help your current dilema - but I wanted to throw out a possible explanation that has nothing to do with how you are sewing them. I have talked to some other mamas about this, and for some of us with super-soaker or strong steam boys, pockets just do not work.
Good luck! And if you still want to sew some dipes, think about trying out a few fitteds and wool covers. Butt sweaters work great and are super cheap to make. And the fitteds can be made out of lots of different types of materials.
#33 of 33 Old 07-08-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla
I have a theory (well, I'm pretty sure I know what at least part of your problem is, because it happened to me!)

FB are made with pul that has DWR applied to it- waterproofing. They will not wick to the outside very easily because the outside is very water repellant. Regular pul that most people buy is not DWR treated, although you can find the stuff....

I had wicking diapers that I made very similarly to yours. I ended up just buying a spray bottle of permanent water guard and DWR-ing the things myself. Then they worked perfectly for like a year, until the PWG wore off, they started to wick a bit around the legs again. So I re-applied. It was $10 and made me feel like all that time in front of the machine had not been a total waste- it's SO frustrating to make leaky dipes!!!

I'd try it- www.atsko.com . The permanent water guard is VERy good stuff, not smelly, etc...I found mine locally for like $10.
I just wanted to agree with this. For us, any diaper not made with DWR treated PUL is totally worthless. Every PUL diaper I buy (except bum-ware because I know hers are made from treated PUL already) has to be sprayed with DWR or it'll wick like mad. But remember.. if you use this stuff, you need to dry your diapers with heat or it won't work. The few times I hung our diapers to dry, they all wicked again *LOL*.. so even when I sun our diapers, I toss them in the dryer for ten minutes or so to "activate" the dwr. I think I re-treat ours every three months or so.

If you watch carefully, the wahms out there that make PUL diapers that rarely get wicking complaints are the ones that use DWR treated PUL... others are hit and miss.

I'm right there with you though.. I almost gave up sewing diapers too until I discovered the DWR on the outside of the PUL was the key for us.

I hope you find the sewing love again!

amber

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page