Bamboo fabric anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 06-24-2006, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been hearing about this for months. Heard both good (soft and absorbent) and bad (doesn't hold up well to washing) reports. It's expensive and hard to find. Anyone tried it? Anyone know of a coop selling it? What kind did you try (jersey? fleece? french terry? blend or 100% bamboo?)? And do you know of a store or a coop where I might be able to get some? Maybe even just a diaper cut or half-yard at first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 06-24-2006, 08:37 PM

I have used bamboo jersey - got it in a trade. It's really trim, which means you also have to use more layers. I used the same amount of bamboo jersey as I would hemp.

Working with it - it's very silky and soft, feels like grandma pajamas if that makes sense, lol! But, it is also very slippery, rolls, hard to keep flat when piecing everything together, cutting and sewing.

I made a diaper with it, using bamboo and hemp jersey for the soaker parts of an AIO. This diaper holds up wonderfully! I went out with dd one morning, put the diaper on her at 8 am, at noon it was still holding up, no wicking.

However, the one drawback I have found - and this just may be me - is that when she does wet it well, I can smell it! It has this weird wet bark smell. Makes sense, since it is bamboo. But I find the smell annoying and between that and how hard it is to use, I probably won't be using it again.
#3 of 28 Old 06-24-2006, 10:41 PM

I've been waiting for months for ClothEssentialsCo-op (yahoo) to fill theirs. It is suppose to close soon. I'm hoping that it doesn't build up as easy as hemp.
#4 of 28 Old 06-25-2006, 12:44 PM

I have Bamboo Fleece and Bamboo Velour, I haven't had any problems working with it. I haven't had a chance to use it on myself yet.
#5 of 28 Old 06-26-2006, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Sounsd interesting. Thanks for the replies. Mmmskids do you know if the coop is still offeriing any bamboo fabrics or if they will have leftovers? Or maybe if htere's any other coops on it? Preferably ones that clsoe soon so I don't end up waiting forever.
#6 of 28 Old 06-27-2006, 02:15 AM

That's the only coop I know of. Unfortunately, I have been waiting forever it seems, really, like 6 months at least. I signed up for her last bamboo coop and then when she decided to close it she gave like 2 days to get payments in from the time she first announced it was actually closing (she had said not to send payments before that). I was out of town for 4 days and missed it completely. Even felt a bit blackmailed since my name was called out a few times. It happened so fast I didn't even have a chance to pay her. I was terribly bummed. I haven't put in an order for this round. I'm just not sure if I want to go through that again.

A good alternative: go to Bed, Bath and Beyond and buy a set of 100% Modal sheets. It is made of birch, all natural and naturally organic since there haven't been any chemicals introduced to the crops yet. It's incredibly silky and soft! But, very similar to how Phoebz described the bamboo. Very thin, very slippery, rolls easily. I've made 3 AIO's with this inside and as the soaker and I'm very pleased with how they work and hold up, and they are the most luxurious diapers ever, but it's a huge PITA to work with. Once it's all pinned in place it's not too hard to actually sew, but cutting it is a nightmare!

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#7 of 28 Old 06-28-2006, 11:48 PM

Target has bamboo sheet sets. You could buy just a pillow case set to try it out. I haven't yet but was thinking about it.
#8 of 28 Old 06-29-2006, 12:10 AM

Ooo, I didn't know that travelinmama. Thanks for telling us. Guess where I'm going in the morning!?! I usually know these things, don't know how I missed that one.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#9 of 28 Old 06-29-2006, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama
Ooo, I didn't know that travelinmama. Thanks for telling us. Guess where I'm going in the morning!?! I usually know these things, don't know how I missed that one.
Ours has them on clearance too. I can't buy any though, I have way too many yards of other stuff to sew up first. At least that is what I've been telling myself.
#10 of 28 Old 01-04-2007, 01:00 AM

Hey guys, I know where you can get bamboo fabric in smaller quantities without a coop, but I'm not sure I can post it because of the rules...
just try googling "bamboo fabric by the yard"

edit:
ok, I bought sig advertising, it was killing me not being able to help you gals out! look down there \/

treehugger.gif
#11 of 28 Old 01-04-2007, 11:37 AM

I have several bamboo fleece diapers. AIOs and fitteds. I like it very much and have not had any durability issues with it. I also use it for wipes.

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
#12 of 28 Old 01-04-2007, 03:54 PM

Actually I just finished two soakers this morning out of 80/20 (bamboo/cotton) terry....I made one that I have used a few times and LOVE the result...that said though it is soooo slippery to cut...and then the edges roll all over the place, AND it is stretchy so you have to be sooo careful not to pull it when stitching etc, or else it cabbage edges (curls). I just think it is a pain. I was on the phone this morning seeing about ordering it for wipes and more soakers...but it is hard to buy quantity without buying incredible quantity (like 60 yards actually!). I really messed up sewing the three I was able to get out of a sample that was sent to me and wanted a little more to try a different way of sewing them that I was thinking would be easier as I was doing these.
I love the sustainable resource idea, the fact that it is so absorbant and soft. BUT, I havent noticed the smell yet that the pp mentioned. Will keep my nose out for that of course!
~best
tamica estelle
#13 of 28 Old 01-05-2007, 09:55 AM

Bamboo should work and feel like like rayon (aka viscose, modal, tencel). Single knits, Jerseys and terrys, will be harder to work with as cut edges will curl over on themselves. (Tip: add startch to your prewash, this will help the cut edges stay flatter when sewing) Double knits, interlock and rib, will lay flat and be more stable.

Knitting fabrics is a bit of science and a bit of art, each knitter has to tune machinery, tune yarn thicknesses and blends, and then tune the finishing process. When a hot new product emerges, like bamboo knits, knitters race into the market. It takes months to perfect a quality knit, days to produce junk knits. Junk knitters are filling demand until the quality knitters perfect the knit process. This means quality is hit and miss at the moment, your best chances of getting top quality is through a reliable dealer.
#14 of 28 Old 01-05-2007, 10:15 PM

T hanks for the tip about Target and BBB! I wonder if our local Marshalls will have any bamboo....
#15 of 28 Old 01-06-2007, 03:22 AM

There is at least one coop on yahoo right now that has bamboo. There might be several more but the one I'm thinking of has bamboo in the name. Can't think of it right now though.
#16 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 01:56 AM

there's also :

celticclothswholesale.com that has bamboo french terry for $9.95/yd (58" wide), and

olivebranchbaby.com that has it for $11/yd (60" wide)

(both are 100& bamboo)
#17 of 28 Old 04-14-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutmama View Post
edit:
ok, I bought sig advertising, it was killing me not being able to help you gals out! look down there \/
So do we get an MDC discount or anything? I want to try something (bamboo velour maybe?) to make some inserts. Should I get the velour, DS terry, or the sherpa?

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#18 of 28 Old 04-15-2007, 01:47 PM

I read on the bamboo fabric store website that the fleece absorbs the best/fastest. I've made a few fitted diapers with the velour on the skin-side of the diaper because it is so darn soft and comfy and it works great as the liner, I haven't tried using it as a soaker yet though (I've been making fitteds only). I would think the fleece would be a better option for that? I also bought some of the jersey and it is SO NICE and light, I"m not sure about making a soaker from it, it would have to be layered up so many times because of how thin it is.

Also, regarding how some bamboo fabric breaks down -- I was initially turned off to bamboo fabric because the bumG bamboo fitted fabric broke down so quickly and that was the only bamboo fabric I had tried. I could see where the fibres were woven into a polyester mesh (sort of like a hook and loop rug). The velour I bought isn't anything like that, so far so good -- but I've only washed it maybe 12 times so far. The bumG bamboo broke down after 20 or so washes, maybe not even that many.

Erin, mom to a 9 month old boy

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#19 of 28 Old 04-15-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
So do we get an MDC discount or anything? I want to try something (bamboo velour maybe?) to make some inserts. Should I get the velour, DS terry, or the sherpa?
OK.

I'm working through a new, more thorough set of absorbancy tests, so I'll get back to you on that...

treehugger.gif
#20 of 28 Old 04-15-2007, 08:32 PM

Great....thanks! Please do let us know when you've completed the newest absorbancy tests. Any idea how long it will be? I'll wait to order if it won't be too long so I am sure to buy the "right" type.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#21 of 28 Old 04-15-2007, 09:13 PM

FYI--at least my Hancock's had 100% organic bamboo. I saw it last week.
#22 of 28 Old 04-16-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalehm View Post
Interesting, it said organic bamboo? I hadn't noticed the word organic on any bamboo yet. I guess it is more wildcrafted? I wonder if there is "certified organic" in China or wherever it is grown or should it really be labeled wildcrafted? I'm curious.... does anyone know the answer to this?

Erin

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#23 of 28 Old 04-16-2007, 01:55 AM

It's my understanding that bamboo can't be organic due to the process it has to go through to mill it. So it can't be organic...

ETA: Maybe it's mixed with organic cotton, allowing it to be called organic. (I think the rule is 10% organic qualifies the title?)
#24 of 28 Old 04-16-2007, 03:20 AM

I have no idea--just that it was under the sign that said "Organic Fabrics," so I assumed it was one of them. (I could be wrong about that!) But I thought it was interesting that they carried bamboo. I was tempted to buy some, but I really have too much fabric. I was only there to buy thread!
#25 of 28 Old 04-16-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalehm View Post
We have no Hancock's. Thanks, though!

#26 of 28 Old 04-16-2007, 05:58 PM

Another coop with bamboo fabrics is "bamboofabs". I haven't ordered from it yet, but I believe she has some in stock. It's all around $10-11/yd.
Cyndie
#27 of 28 Old 04-17-2007, 11:31 AM

Since bamboo is easy to grow without nasty chems, you and I would consider it an organic crop, but as far as I know there haven't been criteria created for certifying it so.

The companies that actually make the fiber are very protective of the specifics of the process. They do claim that it's 'clean' though, for what that's worth.

treehugger.gif
#28 of 28 Old 07-10-2007, 04:03 PM

Bamboo is an eco friendly fiber, it can be grown in organic and non organic settings. The reason you don't see 'organic' labeling is because the countries that produce bamboo for fiber lack both standards and enforcement in Organic production.

Hemp is the only fiber that still uses an eco-toxic fiber separation processes.
The process for making bamboo yarns is not new, it has been around for more than a century. Bamboo yarn production is eco-friendly and the finished yarns residues are comparible to other natural fibers.

Bamboo is probably one of the best advances in diapermaking textiles we have seen for a while. It's clean to produce, durable, soft, absorbent, and it's also easy to sanitize.

Cost is still an issue and will ramain that way until producers catch up with demand.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page