Activity Blanket - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-30-2006, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there!

My sister-in-law and my best friend are both expecting about a month apart from eachother.

I have a good sewing machine, but without a serger, and was thinking about making a nice acitivity/nap blankie for the babies. I think this would be easy.

I envision buying a bright, solid-coloured, large comforter and:

-Cut it in half, mending the cut side. Using the two parts for the two blankies.

-Stitching pockets of bright, patterned, fun matierial in various places.

-Tethering soft, small, baby toys with ribbon near the pockets, with enough slack to tuck the toy into the pocket nearest, but not long enough to tangle, near the middle of the blankie. So baby can sleep in the middle on soft toys if need be.

-Tethering harder toys with pockets near the edge of the blankie.

-Tethering a little tupperware-type snack cup on the blankie with a pocket near by.... a nice spot to stash favourite arrowroot cookies, dried fruit, other baby snacks.

-Folding the blanket over in half, overtop a square of bed-top foam cut to size, stitching all the way around, with a pretty two inch border.

- It would be machine washable, and about the quarter of the size of a bed blanket.

This is intended to be a nice, comfy place for baby to sit, roll around and play on the floor.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Trin.
#2 of 5 Old 07-03-2006, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sounds great to me.

I think I would make lots of toy tethers with snap fastinings so that the toys could be swapped out or removed for washing.

I'd like to make something similar, I quite like the ones with toy arches over them but I have no idea what to make the arch out of. Although I'm not sure if the floor is going to be a great place for our new little one with a toddler around
#3 of 5 Old 07-03-2006, 01:09 PM

Once the baby starts crawling, the blanket is going to be less useful. Personally, I make baby quilts... the same amount of work and they can be "kept" as a treasured keepsake. (or used on the toddler bad!) When I gave my friend a home-made quilt at her shower, every other gift was store bought! And she likes it lots.
#4 of 5 Old 07-31-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena
I'd like to make something similar, I quite like the ones with toy arches over them but I have no idea what to make the arch out of.
I loved the idea of this as a playmat!!!
Then I used a 2 pool noodles covered in fabirc to arch over. They make an arch over the mat in the floor and are attached in the middle on the top. I used plastic rings on the end of them to thread it into loops on the blanket.
#5 of 5 Old 08-05-2006, 11:51 AM

Sounds beautiful! Can you post a picture when it's finished??

SAHM to my and and due in summer 2010, married to my best friend.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page