Polarfleece "hair" tips? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-01-2006, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi --

When I get the opportunity, I now have the same rag doll pattern that my grandma used to make us a rag doll growing up - so Ina will get the same style doll from me! BUT - I'm wondering what to do with the hair. The pattern calls for typical wool yarn hair (picture Raggedy Ann) --- my Grandma made the doll using brown fabric for the back side of the head, and a little semi-circle (shallow) of the same fabric at the top seam of the head as "bangs." I think she did so to make it more durable, and also to make it easier to wash?

Which makes that approach tempting .... yarn hair IMO does have a tendency to eventually be loved out, KWIM? I'm wondering what experience/advice folks might have on fleece "hair" -- I read on an earlier post here about taking long strips of fleece and pulling it, and then it "curls up" for making hair. My big questions are - How well does this wash? (That is, does it stretch out into long lanks at that point, or does it stay curly, or do you have to re-stretch it to make it curly?)? And how well has it remained attached while being "loved"? Ina is nearly 3 and even assuming tht I don't get this dolly done 'til she's nearly 4 , I'm expecting it to get a lot of loving/dragging/attention (or hoping anyway).....

Not all who wander are lost.
#2 of 3 Old 08-04-2006, 09:54 PM

I'm new and I see its been a while since you posted this, but I have made quite a few dolls with fleece hair and they turned out very well, and the fleece was much sturdier and stronger for hair than yarn and premade hair I have used before. I also like cutting the fleece into strips with pinking shears and it sort of comes out like thick dreadlocks.
Hope this helps if your project is not already finished!
#3 of 3 Old 08-28-2006, 01:30 AM

over time, i think anything will wear a bit. The fleece hair has a nice curl, but does eventually stretch a bit, in my experience. I just add another layer over the top.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page