need help with a PUL cover... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I need some help. My DD is the flower girl in my sister's wedding in August. I made the dress for her out of a polyester bridal fabric - fairly heavy weight satin type stuff - has a flower pattern in it. Anyway, I got to thinking that since we mainly use fitteds and wool these days, I should think about making a cover to put under this pretty dress. I have a piece of the bridal fabric left-over. I was thinking about using the bridal fabric on the outside and a piece of PUL on the inside and binding the whole thing with FOE. I'm figuring this should work without a problem since the outer fabric is also polyester, right? So, do I put the fabric side of the PUL towards the baby or towards the outer fabric? Which works better? Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 07-07-2006, 01:48 AM

I put the plastic part facing the baby (obviously with something else in between!) with the material side facing out. Works for us.
#3 of 13 Old 07-11-2006, 06:40 PM

I iron the two fabrics together. Put the shiny side of the PUL towards the wrong side of your dress fabric. Iron on HOT until the two are fused. Then, cut out your pattern from the fused pieces and sew on FOE. Works great and looks very professional.

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#4 of 13 Old 07-12-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbyard
I iron the two fabrics together. Put the shiny side of the PUL towards the wrong side of your dress fabric. Iron on HOT until the two are fused. Then, cut out your pattern from the fused pieces and sew on FOE. Works great and looks very professional.
This is a great idea. I was going to say that you should face the shiny side of the PUL toward the outer fabric, that is how I make my PUL covers when I want something pretty on the outside.

But the ironing is a great idea, especially considering the fabric you will be using for the outer.

Good luck and be sure to post pictures!

-Lindsay
#5 of 13 Old 07-13-2006, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for suggesting the ironing - I will definitely try that. I'll try to post pictures - this project will probably get pushed to next week now though. Thanks again!
#6 of 13 Old 07-13-2006, 05:05 AM

Your post inspired me to go on a cover sewing binge yesterday. I used the iron technique on 5 covers. One had a flannel outer, one a rayon/poly linen, two a natural linen and one was two pieces of PUL sandwiched Bummis-style. Each fabric reacts to the heat a little differently, so be patient when you attempt this. Make sure to really crank up the heat to linen on your iron. Also, make sure that the steam function is turned OFF. You'll have to kind of "hover" the iron over each section of the fabrics while pressing for the fabrics to fuse. Some of the fabrics REALLY took to the PUL lining while others formed more of a light adhesion. All of them, however, became really easy to work with and simply cut and sewn with FOE. The pink one I made with a microfleece inner, which I had to baste to the PUL due to the risk of melting the mf with the iron. I HATE sewing with mf! The ironing is definitely much easier! Now if I can just get the keys to my husband's workshop -- I use his drill press to apply my snaps, so they are missing and I am jonesing to use my new covers. Here are some photos of my latest sewing jag:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...Uy=3y52fk&Ux=1

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#7 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 12:39 AM

crbyard, your link is not working for me and I would REALLY like to see this technique. Would you please try it again? Thank you. I can't wait.
#8 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 10:46 AM

Try the link again. I think it should work this time.

Christina

#9 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 04:31 PM

Thanks for this post. crbyard Wow, that is a great idea and they turned out soooooo cute. They look trim too. I got a bunch of pul cheap, but it's all the same color and I'm in desperate need of covers.

Questions - When you iron, do you lay something down in between material and iron? I know you said hover, but was that on all material, and could you lay something down instead of hover?

Quote:
The pink one I made with a microfleece inner, which I had to baste to the PUL due to the risk of melting the mf with the iron. I HATE sewing with mf!
What do you mean by "basting"?

What will you cover? Fitteds? Prefolds? Just curious. I'm really new to this.

Oh yeah, was this a pattern? I have a DD pattern, do I just use the outer layer for this? (if you know)

Can you buy FOE at any fabric store? how wide?
#10 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 06:29 PM

"basting" is just a long straight stitch to loosely hold two fabrics together -- kind of like sewing with pins. You cannot iron microfleece.

I did not use an actual pattern. I took the measurements of my dd and copied the basic shape of the bummis super whisper wrap covers I have in size small. If you have the darling diapers pattern, yes, use just the outside piece. I found that the bummis shape give more room in the bum for double diapering at night.

After experimenting with other styles and making many pocket diapers that I ended up despising, we exclusively use chinese prefolds and hemp doublers. I find that they are absolutely the most effective diaper. I really wanted the "look" of pockets and AIO, though. I find that it is much easier to make cute prefold covers than cute AIOs and pockets -- plus they work better!

#11 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 06:31 PM

Oh, and as far as FOE goes, I have never seen it available outside of internet stores. I would simply LOVE it if diaper making materials were available locally, but such is not the case. Where did you get a good deal on PUL? I got my FOE at one stop diaper shop.

#12 of 13 Old 07-14-2006, 10:50 PM

Well, I think it's a good deal. She said it was and I trusted her. I got it from the local lady in town that sells diapers and she had about 5 yards that she wasn't going to use for 30 bucks.

OK, so if you don't mind another question, how do I put snaps on? Or how would you suggest and where and what size to get?

and - what's the difference between chinese prefolds and unbleached indian cotton prefolds, and what in the heck to doublers do? Extra absorbtion? Do you just lay it in?

Thanks for the help.
#13 of 13 Old 07-15-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellid

OK, so if you don't mind another question, how do I put snaps on? Or how would you suggest and where and what size to get?

I just bought a snap press for $62.00 from http://thesnapstore.com and size #16 snaps from them also.
The press was the cheapest deal i could find the other places i looked wanted $74 for a snap press.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page