how do i "felt" a wool sweater for a cover? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-07-2006, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i need to make some covers as my 5 1/2 month old just grew out of the newborn imse vimse covers. they were a gift from my mil and we can't afford to buy the next size up. i LOVE wool covers and would like to try shrinking some thrift store sweaters. i saw another mom mention felting the sweaters and i was wondering if anybody could tell me how to do it?

hooray for cloth diapering!
#2 of 16 Old 07-07-2006, 10:50 AM

for felting, wash on hot and dry on hot. I usually only felt once but if it's thin you might want to do twice, just be careful that you don't do too much or you won't have a sweater left to work with. LOL Don't forget about blankets, skirts, ect. Then before you use you have to lanolize. I am sure you knew that though.
#3 of 16 Old 07-07-2006, 11:37 AM

i bought a whole bunch of sweaters on dollar day at the thrift store. i try to get men's XL 100% wool, because after felting, they still have enough material for 1-2 covers.

i put them in the wash/dryer maybe 2 or 3 times. some sweaters take longer than others, and some felt so fast and so thick they'd be better off as a rug.

some people like to put a towel into the wash cycle for better agitation, but if you do, make sure it's a towel you won't be using for your next shower, or all those fuzzies end up on your skin.

i used the pattern here: http://www.bumwrapdiapers.com/pages/pattern.php it is such a quick sew, they look cute, and you have the option of making them long or short.
#4 of 16 Old 07-07-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningloria
i bought a whole bunch of sweaters on dollar day at the thrift store. i try to get men's XL 100% wool, because after felting, they still have enough material for 1-2 covers.
Have you tried this one yet, for the sleeves that way nothing goes to waste. And I make them into shorts as well using the same method

http://www.cafepress.com/thatskindacool/864331

I really like this one.
#5 of 16 Old 07-07-2006, 05:14 PM

i haven't tried that pattern yet, because i've made mostly longies with the bum wrap pattern.

i've also thought about using the pattern where you cut a triangle, fold it up, and use the arm cuffs as leg cuffs. only problem is, it seems like when baby stretches his/her legs the top would pull down...
#6 of 16 Old 07-07-2006, 06:25 PM

I contour the triangle a little so that the legs are down instead of more in front. But even with without contouring it doesn't pull down. I have been putting elastic in the legs instead of the sleeve cuffs so they fit under clothes better and don't stick out.
#7 of 16 Old 07-07-2006, 08:48 PM

I got some sweaters that someone had felted and then never made into covers and I've cut them out using a pattern that is like a normal diaper cover with gussets. They are going to be cute. I'm just waiting for an order of 1" FOE to finish them off. Some of the sweaters were tiny, so I just cut the sleeves off, opened them up, cut the back and the front apart and sewed pieces together until the big piece was large enough to use as a cover. I finished all the seams and they are fine. I'll try to remember to post some pictures when they're done.
#8 of 16 Old 07-07-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seun
I got some sweaters that someone had felted and then never made into covers and I've cut them out using a pattern that is like a normal diaper cover with gussets. They are going to be cute. I'm just waiting for an order of 1" FOE to finish them off. Some of the sweaters were tiny, so I just cut the sleeves off, opened them up, cut the back and the front apart and sewed pieces together until the big piece was large enough to use as a cover. I finished all the seams and they are fine. I'll try to remember to post some pictures when they're done.
I read somewhere that foe would have a different washing then the wool and might hold the pee smell. I could be wrong though.
#9 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas i go to the thrift store tommorow
#10 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 02:40 AM

If you want to make pull-on covers, I would felt lightly by running your sweaters through a hot wash, warm dryer. Remember, hand-knit soakers are usually not felted and work great, you don't have to felt and your covers will fit longer if you keep the stretch. Heavily felted sweaters work better for wraps.
#11 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_mom
If you want to make pull-on covers, I would felt lightly by running your sweaters through a hot wash, warm dryer. Remember, hand-knit soakers are usually not felted and work great, you don't have to felt and your covers will fit longer if you keep the stretch. Heavily felted sweaters work better for wraps.
True, and the main thing is that you lanolize really well.
#12 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofangels
I read somewhere that foe would have a different washing then the wool and might hold the pee smell. I could be wrong though.
I guess I'm going to find out the hard way

Hopefully it works out.

Thank you for warning me though.
#13 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seun
I guess I'm going to find out the hard way

Hopefully it works out.

Thank you for warning me though.
I bet it will be ok. There are some wahm covers like this, I haven't heard any complaints about how they smell.
#14 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 12:30 PM

i must admit, when i made my covers, i didn't know anything about lanolizing. i juts felted and sewed and my daughter wore them for quite some time and never had a leak.
#15 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 03:28 PM

Let us know what you found at the thrift store! I love the 'treasures' one can find there! (Last time I went, the woman at the cashier asked me if I'm going on vacation in a cold area She looked quite confused when I told her I'd make my son longies and shorties as diaper covers:

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#16 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 04:09 PM

I wouldn't use the FOE as binding either - it will definitely hold the pee smell and then you will lose that "self-cleaning" benefit of wool. I've seen wool covers binded with a contrasting bit of wool, so you could try this. Like scraps from wool pants or something? And just use regular elastic for your legs (sounds like you are doing a cover vs. a pull on soaker), but they would be encased in the wool trim and not get wet. I would hate to have you use up your sweaters and make beautiful covers but then have them not work out because of the FOE.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page