Malden Mills Fabric Users - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-20-2006, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas! I am interested in getting some MM 200wt and maybe some windpro. I am lost as to what parts of the diapers to use these for. They are used for AIOs as the outer layer, right? I could also make shorts or pants that would be mostly waterproof? I just ordered some of the double velour, is this better for somethings, and not for others? Any MM knowledge you can pass on will be greatly appreciated! I still can't seem to use the search feature here, so sorry if you have answered this before. TIA!!

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-20-2006, 04:52 PM

I just recently got some myself so I'm limited (haven't sewn with it) definitely... I'll tell you what a MMills sewer suggested to me okay?

She told me that Windbloc/Windpro (but esp. Windbloc) is the most waterproof of the fleeces... then 300wt, etc. You would use these for either a cover or the outside for an AIO.

I am not sure what weight the double velour is in so I can't tell you about that... all I know is what I posted above (and of course, about the microfleece (yummy!!).

I'm sure there are lots of other knowledgable Moms who will be by to fill my holes in.
~Julie

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

#3 of 14 Old 07-20-2006, 07:08 PM

You can use the 200wt for an outer, but only if your dc isn't a heavy wetter and you probably don't want to use it for night time. WindPro (or WindBloc) is an excellent outer for an AIO.

For a fleece inner, you want microfleece, and imho, microchamois is the nicest of the microfleeces.
#4 of 14 Old 07-20-2006, 08:13 PM

I used 200wt for the outters in my VB AIO's, great for daytime, but not nighttime use. I have a bunch for sale if you'd like it (gave up making and using CD's)

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#5 of 14 Old 07-21-2006, 12:07 AM

you can also use 100 wt for inners. It's a bit thicker than microfleece but it totally works. You can also double up 200 wt to get a more waterproof cover.
#6 of 14 Old 07-21-2006, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2a2z
You can use the 200wt for an outer, but only if your dc isn't a heavy wetter and you probably don't want to use it for night time. WindPro (or WindBloc) is an excellent outer for an AIO.

For a fleece inner, you want microfleece, and imho, microchamois is the nicest of the microfleeces.
I agree with mom2a2z about the microchamois being the nicest. I prefer Windpro over Windbloc---the Windpro comes in different weights. I have used both types of outer fleeces. Windpro sewed up wonderfully for me and worked awesome overnight. Never pilled on us either.

300 weight is bulky imo, and it can pill. Not my fave at all.

200 weight is good for daytime covers or for light wetters. Not too bulky as far as a cover would go.

100 weight, microfleece, and microchamois all work for inners. 100 is bulkier though. Micro is nice, and of course there is microchamois.

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!
#7 of 14 Old 07-24-2006, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies! I like the sound of the micochamois. Can my dd wear these covers or AIOs in the summer, or will they be hotter than PUL? It seems like PUL gets really hot if the diaper gets wet at all.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water
#8 of 14 Old 09-29-2006, 06:21 PM

So for making a pocket fitted (darling diaper pattern) which will be inside a cover which MM fleece should I purchase?

I was thinking microfleece inner, possibly a microfiber cleaning towel soaker, 200 wt MM fleece outer. (I already have the microfleece from JoAnn's on clearance.)

If I purchase a heavier weight MM would I need to bother with a soaker for daytime use? Or do you think I could use it with a soaker and without a cover?

or--should I use microfleece for the inner and outer to keep the bulk down?

Any opinions as I fumble my way through CD-making?

Mom to two amazing girls: big E 7/04 & little e 1/07
#9 of 14 Old 09-29-2006, 10:16 PM

If you are putting fleece on the outside, you won't need a cover, at least for daytime/at home use. (Polar) Fleece, of whatever weight, is not absorbent. You could not do a two layer fleece pocket with no soaker. Well, you could but you wouldn't want to! My mom recently put my ds down for a nap in nothing but a two-layer fleece cover with a doubler inside it--a very old, very thin doubler--and the soaked-ness of him and his bed was comical, to say the least. Unless you are making a AIO-style pocket, make the inner microfleece(microchamios) and the outer something absorbent. Isn't this is what Amber says to do in the DD pocket directions?

Marjorie
wife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05 and Kathryn 9/09
#10 of 14 Old 09-30-2006, 03:02 PM

I'm not a fan of fleece for diapers. They are good for light wetters and for babies who never sit down, but if they are small and laying, in a sling, or sitting on their bums then you have the issue of compression leaks.
#11 of 14 Old 10-01-2006, 07:13 PM

I like fleece for fleece pants I use 200 wt and make them slightly baggy so that they are nigt snug agenst the diaper and are less prone to compression leaks. Good for bopping around the house in, but not sitting in the car seat as fleece is more prone to compression leaks than wool.
I love it for a wetness barrier on my home made mamma pads too.

~pam~ sewing mom to my Navy boy (1/85), my lego geek (12/01) and my girly-girl (12/04)
#12 of 14 Old 10-02-2006, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the advice! I was having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole fleece and waterproofedness issue.

I keep telling my husband that diaper-making is a science, with all the research I've been doing, but I don't think he believes me

#13 of 14 Old 10-02-2006, 04:31 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#14 of 14 Old 10-02-2006, 07:25 PM

I just realized that part of my confusion on the fleece issue is because people use microfiber -also a synthetic- for soakers. So Microfiber absorbs, due to the texture, but fleece doesn't.

Just thinking outloud...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page