does anyone cross stich? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 07-20-2006, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't sew, i always broke the needles on the machines in sewing class......and I never got the hang of long stitch or embroidery, but I have cross stitched since I was 12. Anyone else out there have a love for cross stitch? do you prefer small designs or big projects?
#2 of 39 Old 07-20-2006, 11:44 PM

I do a lot of cross stitching since it is one of the only things I can do with the kids awake. Most of my sewing waits for bedtime unless DH is around to keep an eye on the kids.

I like LARGE projects so I've got several Mirabilia and Chatelaine designs going right now.

Deb
#3 of 39 Old 07-21-2006, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

I like a medium sized projects most the time, but i do love the tiny ones for quick projects i can finish in a day (or now with ds being more active it takes 3-4 days lol).

If I do a big project i like to design it myself.
#4 of 39 Old 07-22-2006, 10:36 PM

I love x-stitch. I'm really slow though. I'm always more attracted to the bigger projects (my current project is Mirabellia's Maiden's of the Seasons Autumn/Winter) but they take me forever. Like years. The little ones I can usually get done in a timely fashion but truth be told I still have ornaments from this last year not done .

I really want to design my xstitch but I'm like that with all my hobbies (knitting, sewing, beading, etc).
#5 of 39 Old 07-26-2006, 09:59 PM

I'm a cross-stitcher, too. Though I get bored with large projects really easily--it has taken me over six years to finish the one I'm *almost* done with.

~Lizzie~

Four boys: Corey (11) blahblah.gif , Aiden REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif  (8), Simon superhero.gif   (5), Timothy bouncy.gif (2).  Shh! Surprise no. 5 in October 2012! belly.gif

#6 of 39 Old 07-27-2006, 11:35 AM

I go in spurts... LOL! Mainly medium or small projects after the kids go to bed.
#7 of 39 Old 07-27-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthroknitmuommy
I love x-stitch. I'm really slow though. I'm always more attracted to the bigger projects (my current project is Mirabellia's Maiden's of the Seasons Autumn/Winter) but they take me forever. Like years. The little ones I can usually get done in a timely fashion but truth be told I still have ornaments from this last year not done .

I really want to design my xstitch but I'm like that with all my hobbies (knitting, sewing, beading, etc).
I've got the patterns for the Maiden's of the Seasons!! They are beautiful and I thought I'd do all 4 on once piece of fabric. I don't know when since the only Mirabilia I've finished so far is Winter Queen and she took me 200+ hours. I've got Autumn Queen started right now but only have her head done.

Deb
#8 of 39 Old 07-27-2006, 11:41 AM

I used to and I loved it. But I can just barely get all the stuff done that I need to get done now, never mind a hobby. Some day though I'd like to finish ALL the projects that I have started!!!

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#9 of 39 Old 07-28-2006, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtain
I used to and I loved it. But I can just barely get all the stuff done that I need to get done now, never mind a hobby. Some day though I'd like to finish ALL the projects that I have started!!!
:

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#10 of 39 Old 08-09-2006, 09:07 AM

I've cross stitched since I was really young. I hadn't done it in years, but just picked back up again in June. It's sooooo relaxing to me. My newest project I just started is "Peacock Tapestry" by Teresa Wentzler. It a lot bigger than I thought and has tons of colors, mostly blended. It's gonna take forever but I love working on it and it's gonna be so gorgeous when it's done.
#11 of 39 Old 08-11-2006, 07:18 PM

I use to do it alot but have been too busy the last few years. I have made a stocking for my dh and my 2 older children. I am working on my daughter's for Christmas this year. Next year I hope to start on the baby's. One a year is all I have the time for anymore
#12 of 39 Old 08-13-2006, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm with y'all!

I'm working on Teresa Wentzler's Four Seasons Faeries. I finished Autumn a couple years ago, and now I am getting close to getting Winter done. I definitely like the big projects for their beauty, but there are definitely times I enjoy a quick 2 day project. Lately I've been cross stitching like mad, while listening to Harry Potter books on disc

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#13 of 39 Old 08-16-2006, 09:41 PM

Me, me, me! I started after my daughter became a toddler and started going to sleep at 7 p.m., so I suddenly had all this free time in the evening ... relative to how much free time I had when she was a baby, anyway. I just love counted cross-stitch; I'm doing a Donna Vermilion Giampa butterfly my little girl picked out right now.

I've also taught her to stitch (she's five), although she needs me to thread the needle and anchor her threads off for her. It's such a relaxing and satisfying thing to do.
#14 of 39 Old 08-20-2006, 11:28 AM

I love to cross stitch. It's so relaxing. I tend to do medium-sized projects, although right now I'm finishing up a big one. It's the Footsteps poem with a beach scene at the bottom, and it will wind up being 9" by 20". I'm excited because it's a wedding present for my cousin. He got married on the beach and one of his nieces read this poem during the ceremony.
#15 of 39 Old 08-21-2006, 04:56 AM

Do y'all do counted or colored? My mom has done counted cross stich for as long as I can remember (I have one teeeeeeeny piece done from when I was 12, and another couple started, and my DP has a small one halfway done - yup, I have a guy who crafts! - but I'm a knitter/crocheter myself), mostly BIG projects, and I just have the softest spot in my heart for it. I can't really stand doing it myself, but I love watching others work, and checking out the finished project (and yes, I always flip it to look at the back, right away! ).
#16 of 39 Old 08-21-2006, 09:19 AM

I definitely prefer counted.

~Lizzie~

Four boys: Corey (11) blahblah.gif , Aiden REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif  (8), Simon superhero.gif   (5), Timothy bouncy.gif (2).  Shh! Surprise no. 5 in October 2012! belly.gif

#17 of 39 Old 08-21-2006, 09:28 AM

would love to find someone to teach me anyone live in Idaho?
#18 of 39 Old 08-21-2006, 09:43 AM

Definitely counted. I've done one or two printed ones over the years, and I don't really like how big the stitches are.
#19 of 39 Old 08-21-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Bugs Mama
Definitely counted. I've done one or two printed ones over the years, and I don't really like how big the stitches are.
:
#20 of 39 Old 08-21-2006, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom said I used to help her cross stitch when I was 3 pulling the thread through.. I now do all sorts of projects. Large and small... Working on 2 family trees for my boys, just finished new babys birth sampler, doing sign language hands for ebay, sailing flags...all sorts of patterns.
I just started with babys sampler designing my own patterns and really enjoy it.
#21 of 39 Old 08-21-2006, 12:00 PM

Definately counted for me also. I like to use hand dyed fabrics and colorones aren't printed on that anyway.

Deb
#22 of 39 Old 08-21-2006, 01:03 PM

I love the counted and mostly do big projects with embellishments like gold filament (hate using it but love how it looks) or seed beads. I did our wedding announcement with satin ribbon, gold filament, and seed beads. I had never looked at the Mirabilia designs before, but now I want like a dozen of them!! I was in a skiing accident about 12 years ago, and cross-stitch was the only thing that kept my mind off all the pain I was in. Still works to distract me. I stitched like crazy while DD was in the NICU.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#23 of 39 Old 08-21-2006, 02:25 PM

Counted all the way. The stamped is a whole different craft, IMO.

Darcy, it's very easy to learn! I just found an online tutorial and taught myself. I think I used this one: http://users.rcn.com/kdyer.dnai/nf_xstitch_tut.html
#24 of 39 Old 08-21-2006, 02:55 PM

Oh yay. I knew I'd like y'all.
#25 of 39 Old 08-21-2006, 02:59 PM

Counted here. I'm working on a baby sampler for my dd who will arrive sometime early next year. It's too fun! I just finished two other samplers (one of my college, the other just a pretty one) and I have two or three other projects waiting in the wings.

The "big" one that I'll probably start next summer is of the Rainbow Row in Charleston. It will wind up being 15 x 40 or some such obscene size, but it's gorgeous!

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#26 of 39 Old 08-21-2006, 03:07 PM

I work in spurts on smaller counted cross stitch projects. I let my husband do the big ones! He's just started the Moskowitz Noah's Sub pattern for a future nusery and I've been working on several really cute, simple bibs for a friend.

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
#27 of 39 Old 08-21-2006, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

wow your dh does cross stitch?
#28 of 39 Old 08-22-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub
I love the counted and mostly do big projects with embellishments like gold filament (hate using it but love how it looks) or seed beads. I did our wedding announcement with satin ribbon, gold filament, and seed beads. I had never looked at the Mirabilia designs before, but now I want like a dozen of them!! I was in a skiing accident about 12 years ago, and cross-stitch was the only thing that kept my mind off all the pain I was in. Still works to distract me. I stitched like crazy while DD was in the NICU.
Sehbub - If you want to be enabled : come on over to the Mirabilia Boards. There are some great laides there and lots of progress pictures and pictures of completed works. My work in progress right now is Autumn Queen: Picture

Deb
#29 of 39 Old 08-22-2006, 12:46 PM

My DH does cross stitch! It's amazing, I know! He was bored one day several years ago and asked me for something to do, so I gave him the only other cross stitch project I had-a Winnie the Pooh baby bib and he worked so hard I couldn't give it to the friend I had originally intended it for! He has now done stockings for the whole family, Christmas pillows, and he wants to do the Noah's sub for a nursery/play room wall hanging. He is certainly wonderful!

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
#30 of 39 Old 08-23-2006, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

wow! my dh just writes.......nothing fun to give as gifts I have got him into making cards though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page