THE official MDC sock KAL..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
starts now!

Ok, it actually starts in the morning but like I explained in the details thread I need to get it up tonight.

So this first KAL is all about socks. There is no set pattern since we all have different wants/needs.

This is my first time doing socks and will be making DH a pair. I'll be doing Thuja (from Knitty) with some dark blue merino. It's a top down pattern for men (shoe size 9-11).

NO one can start until tomorrow morning!! There is no deadline yet since I know some of us are newbies to socks. We'll just take it as it goes!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#2 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 03:29 AM

Alright. I"m in, but I'm working on FINISHING 2 pairs of socks in progress (really, it's not a good idea for me to start something new right now).

I'm working on a pair in Plymouth Sockotta, toe up, Queen Kahuna pattern, I've turned one heel, and am ready to turn the second (2 at a time, magic loop). THey're for my friend Terri.

I also am working on a toddler sock, kool aid dyed fisherman's wool, cuff down. THe first is finished, so I'm working on the second. These are for CHildren in Common.

My blog is part of the knitring, and I ahven't posted pictures ina while, for which I apologize. My blog is http://www.knittingsheeple.livejournal.com

I'm going to see the Yarn Harlot tomorrow night, and will have sock knitting in tow!

~amey
#3 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 04:41 AM

I'm jealous, amey (and I hadn't realised that was your blog. I keep getting frustrated by its lack of updates.)
If you won't accept my nearly-finished pair then I'm out, unless I do Skye a pair. I'm not meant to be knitting atm though.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#4 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 07:46 AM

I'm in with these socks for my son. First time with socks and leaving right now for vacation and will be w/o internet until Sunday. Wish me luck!
#5 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 08:22 AM

I am in....I have knit one sock and I need to start the other one. I have been putting it off, but now is a great time.

I really need to learn the magic loop way of knitting.

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#6 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 10:46 AM

I'm in, but I, too, I am working on an already begun pair of socks...well, not so much a pair as one sock for a 4-year old in which I am at the instep. Perhaps this KAL can help inspire me to kick it in gear and get finished. These are knit from a cotton/nylon blend Fortissima Cottou Colori. It is a beautiful colorway that the LYS nearest my mom's house had only one ball of, hence the kid's socks and none for me. I am using the magic loop, for the most part and the pattern is my own (this could be a mistake, we'll see).

I also have a brand spanking new pair I need to start for my mom's birthday near the end of next month--yikes! I need to wind that yarn into balls before I can begin. These socks will be knit out of KnitPicks Sock Memories Hawaii colorway (personally, I detest the colors...far too cheery..., but hope my mom will like it)
#7 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

flapjack go ahead!!! Join us with your almost finished pair! We won't tell.

It's morning time ladies....get knitting!

Give more**Expect Less
#8 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 12:15 PM

apparently this is a "finish those socks" KAL

I am in, with 4 pairs to be completed that i have found. Well, at least the first 2 need completing, then maybe I will find something new.

The first is a pair of toddler socks, knit on 1.25mm needles. only the ribbing needs to be done. The second is a pair for me, in Opal on 2.5mm. They are knit to the instep.

plus, i have 2 mateless socks to do.
#9 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 01:32 PM

I'm going to do Pomatomus from Knitty. Here's a link to my new craft blog.
#10 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 01:33 PM

I'm knitting the cable rib socks from the Better than Booties baby socks pattern on the interweave site.
http://www.interweave.com/knit/inter...han_Bootie.pdf

and I'm using Lang Bebe yarn that I picked up for $2 at a LYS last year but haven't had any use for. It's the pink and yellow self-striping yarn from this site
http://www.yarns-and.com/fabrics/Lang/LANbebecolor2.jpg

I cast on one sock while ds was napping this morning and knit almost two rounds
I'm hoping to get some more knitting time in at the library this afternoon and in the car on the way to my prenatal. This is the first time I've ever used tiny needles, so I'm going to need this thread to keep me motivated.

We have a new baby coming in a few weeks, but we don't know if it's a girl or a boy. I'll put pretty much any typically girly colors on my ds, but bright pink socks seem a little over the top to me, so they may go to the next person I know who has a girl if we have another boy.
#11 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 01:43 PM

Ok tell me the love of socks? I have tried starting socks, 2 times. Both are still on needles. One was a a toe up pattern, knitting 2 socks @ one time. The other was a beginner sock on dpn.
I have 6 skiens of sock yarn, I need to use it. Show me the love of socks!!!!!!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#12 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 02:29 PM

I am hoping to be done with my second sock in a pair of RPM today.

After that, I think I have the perfect yarn to start Thuja. Have to swatch to be sure.
#13 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy
Ok tell me the love of socks? I have tried starting socks, 2 times. Both are still on needles. One was a a toe up pattern, knitting 2 socks @ one time. The other was a beginner sock on dpn.
I have 6 skiens of sock yarn, I need to use it. Show me the love of socks!!!!!!
Well, seems like now would be a good time to try to find the love. Imagine yourself knitting with all these MDC mamas - joined together in sock knitting... Embrace the sock knitting love.... patience grasshopper. It's slower than soakers, and the yarn is thinner, but they're super fantastic.

~amey
#14 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 08:55 PM

Are we supposed to start yet? I just cast on about an hour ago. I'm working on a sweater for ds1 at the same time so it may not go quickly.
#15 of 106 Old 07-26-2006, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Cast on whenever Trishy! It started this morning. I won't be casting on until tomorrow morning though. Have fun everyone!

Give more**Expect Less
#16 of 106 Old 07-27-2006, 02:25 AM

Okay, not doing Pomatomus anymore. I realized after frogging 4 rows of the 14 I had started in K1P1 rib that:
1. I didn't have to be so literal (I mean really, what's an extra 4 rows of cuff?), and
2. Pomatomus uses K1tbl,P1 rib, NOT K1P1 rib

*sigh*

Anyway, I decided that this is my pattern:

Row 1: K2tbl,P2 across
Row 2: K2, P2tbl across
#17 of 106 Old 07-27-2006, 05:41 PM

I finished the toddler sock mentioned above. I've started another (32 stitches, fisherman's wool, relatively mindless), because my 5.75 year old was up SO MANY TIMES last night (why is it that the just turned 3 year old can sleep thru the night, practically every night [say 28 out of 30] and has been for several months, but the child who is nearly 6 still wakes at least 3 times a night? Last night it was 4 times between midnight and 2:30 : ). I want to work in the sock for my friend out of the plymouth sockotta, since I'm ready for the second heel to turn, but the idea of knitting stitches that small confidently is really more than I can handle.

I've already, thru the course of knitting those socks, had to pick up dropped stitches THREE times - and the stitches are so small I end up needing to use 20 gauge wire to do the picking up.

So, thick socks it is. At least I'll have a nice package to send to Children in Common.

~amey (considering a nap)
#18 of 106 Old 07-28-2006, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to get cast on for one sock while we drove. I only managed a couple rows though. I have no idea how many rounds I have done though. The beginning ribbing says to go for one inch so I didn't bother to count. I think I finally have holding the needles down. It's getting easier that's for sure.

So I've been reading ahead...how do I turn when it says to turn the heel? I know i have some time before I get there since we shall be busy for the next few days but I thoguht it might be wise to ask now.

Give more**Expect Less
#19 of 106 Old 07-28-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre
So I've been reading ahead...how do I turn when it says to turn the heel? I know i have some time before I get there since we shall be busy for the next few days but I thoguht it might be wise to ask now.
Are you still making Thuja? If you are, it tells you how to do it. When you're working the heel, you'll work back and forth on a small group of stitches (I think it's 22 for that pattern) - the others will stay idle on your needles - just ignore them. If you have DIYNetwork, Karen Baumer has done an episode of Knitty Gritty on knitting socks - these things seem to repeat pretty regularly (and I don't know if you can find it on bit torrent or something - one of those download places? Is that legal?).

Heels are sock knitting magic - all of a sudden you have this three dimensional piece of knitting! Very exciting stuff.

~amey
#20 of 106 Old 07-29-2006, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, still doing Thuja. It does tell me how many stitches and the pattern and everything but I'm not sure what I'm suppsoed to do when it says turn? Just treat it like something I'm knitting flat and knit like I would then?

Give more**Expect Less
#21 of 106 Old 07-29-2006, 01:20 AM

YEs. What will happen is this. You knit the cuff at the top, then the leg. When you get to the heel you'll leave the instep stitches alone, and simply knit those heel stitches back and forth (like flat knitting). This creates a heel "flap." Then you "turn the heel" which makes it curve and cup along the heel. The next thing to do is connect your heel flap to your turned heel, and get everything joined together with the stitches you had abandoned when you started your heel. You'll knit the "gusset" which is the area you make a little larger to accomodate your instep and then finish the foot. Basically.

Look also here: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/So..._Beginning.htm and you can go on a photo journey of all the sock knitting steps for a cuff down sock - very helpful if you are a visual learner and want to "see" what's going to be happening with your pattern.

~amey (making the mate to the toddler sock I started yesterday - gosh these things are fast)
#22 of 106 Old 07-30-2006, 02:12 AM

can i get in with an already started pair? since i've got the baby sweater, oh jan dress, sea silk shawl, assorted cloths, and ellie's fall jacket going all at once, i just can't justify a whole new pair of socks, but i'm halfway (one sock) through basic "knit socks" in cascade quattro for me let me in, please!
#23 of 106 Old 07-30-2006, 07:26 AM

I'm down to the heel on the first of my baby socks. It's a short row heel, which I'm enjoying. I bought some Brittany needles, size 0, for this project, and I broke one of them already : I'm having a lot of trouble keeping my hands loose while knitting on these tiny needles. It feels like knitting with toothpicks. It's getting better, but I bought some aluminum needles yesterday just in case. I hate aluminums though because of the danger of them sliding out while in the knitting bag.
#24 of 106 Old 07-30-2006, 02:32 PM

I hear Brittany are very good at replacing broken needles, Laura.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#25 of 106 Old 07-30-2006, 05:32 PM

Brittany is very good at replacing needles! Are you using all 5 or just 4?

I'm a little over halfway on the legs. I am making both at the same time using magic loop. It seems to be taking forever but I keep reminding myself that there will be no second sock to do once I finish.
#26 of 106 Old 07-30-2006, 06:52 PM

I got nothing done! My dad is really sick, so my 74yo grandma and i spent the weekend trying to get all of the farm jobs that he normally does finished before he goes in for surgery on monday.

but, i did get a couple rows done last night, so on my first second sock, i am now past the instep decreases. only the foot to go
#27 of 106 Old 07-31-2006, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Whew! We got to move in two days early so everything is thrown about our new place. Come tomorrow I plan on getting some knitting done! I'm still les than an inch in.

Give more**Expect Less
#28 of 106 Old 07-31-2006, 01:15 PM

Help! I was cruising along...thinking "This isn't so bad!" but now I'm totally confused. I just realized that the copy of the pattern my LYS gave me (which I now notice is date 12/02) is slightly different and a little more vague than the on which is currently online here.

The directions for which stitches to use for the heel flap didn't make any sense. The pattern calls for working the flap over 20 sts, but my copy said this:

Quote:
I worked my heel on the 20 stitches from Needles #4 and #1 and placed the 30 instep stitches from needles #2 and #3 on a stitch holder.
But the cast on directions called for placing the stitches as follows, 10 on #1, 10 on #2, 15 on #3 and 15 on #4. If I took the stitches from 1 & 4 I would have 25 sts. So I just used the sts on needles 1 & 2. Does that make a difference? Should I rip back to where I began working the heel flap?
#29 of 106 Old 07-31-2006, 01:19 PM

It sounds like that was just a mistake in the pattern. I would work the heel flap over the 20 sts and ignore needle numbers. I always do.
#30 of 106 Old 07-31-2006, 01:46 PM

Great, thanks! Now I just have to frog back to where I turned the heel...something got waaaay messed up and since the new directions are slightly different than the old, hopefully things will make more sense if I follow the new heel turning directions! I'm sure I'll be back for more help soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page