What to do with old crayons? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-02-2006, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you think of anything creative to do with broken, used crayons?? We have a hige bin, and I just hate to throw them away! TIA

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#2 of 10 Old 08-02-2006, 07:17 AM

Make crayon cookies! Remove wrappers ,Break into one inch pieces,bake in an old muffin tin on 200-250.Wait until they cool to take them out.Viola!
#3 of 10 Old 08-02-2006, 09:07 AM

We did a craft in Brownies once. I'm remembering this from 20 years ago as one of the kids doing it, so I hope I'm not forgetting anything crucial.

Take a sheet of wax paper. Gather some pretty leaves or something, maybe even cut nice shapesout of construction paper. Lay them on the wax paper, not filling it up, just a bit here and there. Grate crayon bits and sprinkle them on the paper however you want (ie, you grate them up and let the kiddos sprinkle). Lay another sheet of wax paper on top and you pass a hot iron overtop, not touching or you'll have a waxy iron, until it all melts together. It's stained glass! I think we put some construction paper around for a frame, and put a string on it to hang in the window.

I know it doesn't use a lot of crayon up with only a few kids, but maybe you can do it as a group activity for an organization if your kids are in something (sunday school, scouts, 4H, etc)?
#4 of 10 Old 08-02-2006, 01:09 PM

You can find more info on what saintmom suggested here.
#5 of 10 Old 08-16-2006, 11:37 PM

If you have a slow-cooker with the warming plate thingy that the cooker pot rests on, you can do "stained glass" like my mom would do with us when I was little.

Cover the warming base with a layer of heavy-duty foil. Cut some white copy paper in half so that a sheet will fit onto the base. Let the kids color on the foil when it's warm enough to melt the crayons. Once they have it all covered with beautiful colors, lay a piece of paper on it. Use a wadded-up paper towel to press the paper into the melted crayon if needed, then lift off and let it dry. Wipe off the foil with paper towels between uses.
When you have all of your "stained glass" pieces made, you can either hang them in the window as-is, or cut stained glass "lead" patterns out of black paper to make frames to put over the crayon'd pieces. Either way, your kids will think you're the most brilliant person around
#6 of 10 Old 08-16-2006, 11:42 PM

We make the giant crayons about once/year. I save a couple of aluminum muffin tins to reuse as they pop out easily once cooled. LOVE the way the colors swirl together.
#7 of 10 Old 08-18-2006, 01:57 AM

My friend told me to make sure not to reuse the white crayons. It just screws them up.
#8 of 10 Old 09-01-2006, 04:32 AM

We make fire starters. We save egg cartons and cotton and wool dryer lint. Melt the old crayons and pour over the stuff. When it hardens, we break them apart and use for Scouting and in the fireplace.

Gloria
#9 of 10 Old 09-03-2006, 11:46 AM

I use them to color my candles when I make them.
#10 of 10 Old 10-01-2006, 10:48 AM

You can use old crayons for the melted crayon technique for making cards:
http://splitcoaststampers.com/resour...ltedcrayon.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page