covers out of sweaters? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a ton (maybe 10-20) beautiful wool sweaters just waiting to be transformed into diaper covers but I'm stuck. I don't like the look of a 'butt sweater' where you use the cuffs to make leg holes and the waist to make the top of the cover, also I like to make pants out of the arms. Any other ideas/patterns out there to use the body ONLY of the sweater to make covers? TIA!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#2 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 03:50 PM

I have the Very Baby fitted pattern, so I just made a T & T side snapping wool cover using that. I added about and 1/2 an inch to the pattern so that the cover would fit over the fitteds. It turned out great - it's one of my favorite covers.
#3 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 03:58 PM

There are four ways that I make wraps:

1 - one layer bound w/FOE
2 - two layer T&T
3 - two layer serged
4 - one layer w/casings (use an extra wide seam allowance to fold over for casings)
#4 of 26 Old 08-07-2006, 04:56 PM

I make pants from the body of the sweater too. I just make two arms, lol, and sew them up. I like them better because they don't have the taper like leggings, I think they look more like regular pants.

Otherwise I use a wrap cover pattern. I don't like the way most 'butt sweaters' look either.
#5 of 26 Old 08-08-2006, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I traced my favorite cover onto "pattern" paper, and then used that as a pattern...it works REALLY well!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#6 of 26 Old 08-09-2006, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

I like the idea of using my favorite cover pattern but I always use FOE and wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the wool and start to smell?

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#7 of 26 Old 08-09-2006, 12:26 PM

I'm new to sewing, so bear with me. i've got some ???

1) What is FOE?

2) I've got some old cardigans I want to make into covers, but I'm not sure how to keep the edges from unraveling. I thought about cutting strips from the sleeves to make edging, but I'm not sure how to sew that to keep it from unraveling. Should I make the strips into 'tubes' by sewing the edges together and turning them right-side-out, then running the elastic through?

3) Do I need special thread for sewing wool, or will polyester work?

BTW, I don't have a serger, but my machine does over-edge. Thanks! I think those are all the ??? I have for now.

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
#8 of 26 Old 08-09-2006, 05:36 PM

Guitarmama:

1) Fold Over Elastic. you can see it in action here: http://www.chloetoesboutique.com/store/WsPages.asp?ID=3 and buy it here:
http://www.diapershop.com. Keep in mind that isn't the least expensive way to get it, but they are a reliable company.

2) FOE would keep it from unraveling. Also serging or an overlock stitch on your regular machine.

3) I would recommend polyester thread for sewing wool.

Kerrie, I haven't had any trouble with my FOE wool covers, but I do see your point. Of course, they get lanolized when the rest of the cover does and that may help a bit. If you're worried about it, do one of the casing techniques or a two-layer cover.
#9 of 26 Old 08-11-2006, 09:06 AM

I've traced fitteds that fit my DS well and added 'some' to the entire diaper and I've been known to trace a wool cover (that I've purchased) or two that I really like.

I use 100% poly thread, two layers of sweater (may be overkill, but my DS is a heavy wetter), and just sent some off for the first time to be snapped as opposed to using applix (DS is 2, takes things off).
#10 of 26 Old 08-16-2006, 11:30 PM

I use FOE on my sweater wraps, and have no problems with stink. I do tend to wash them oftener than my pull-on soakers and such, but that's, say, washing every 2 weeks rather than every month or so
#11 of 26 Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 PM

I have a WAHM made wool cover that has FOE and it never stinks. I wash maybe once a month.
#12 of 26 Old 08-17-2006, 12:58 PM

i've made quite a few soakers from the bum wrap pattern.

http://www.bumwrapdiapers.com/pages/pattern2.php

i've felted the sweaters very very well before cutting them up. the soakers fit perfectly, and i've never paid more than 2 bucks for one.
#13 of 26 Old 08-17-2006, 10:09 PM

:
#14 of 26 Old 08-18-2006, 04:55 PM
~pi

:

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#15 of 26 Old 08-21-2006, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nope, I've never had a problem with my elastic stinking. I do use gussets in my covers, and felt the wool really well, and then lanolize at the end, so the elastic on the gussets gets lanolized, too...I also use just plain poly covered elastic on the wool covers, on the outside of the gusset, so that the wool takes in the fluid, not so much the elastic. It's not as EASY as FOE, but I like it better for the wool covers. Don't know if any or all of that contributes to the non-stink factor, but I really think that the wool just soaks up the stinky stuff before it reaches the elastic.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#16 of 26 Old 08-24-2006, 05:38 PM

Do you HAVE to use wool wash to felt sweaters?
I have Lanolin to lanolize them, but I was wondering if you can just use the regular laundry soap to get them felted and to wash when needed?
Also do you know what type of store I might find wool wash at locally?
Thanks!
Julie
#17 of 26 Old 08-24-2006, 06:22 PM

I use Dawn dishwashing liquid to felt wool sweaters. A few squirts in a hot wash, cold rinse and tumble dry in the dryer gives me just the right amount of felting. I like lightly felted but still stretchy.

To wash wool, I use a bit of hand soap followed by lansinoh to lanolize. I've used different wool washes, but they cost more and IMO don't seem to clean better, they just smell more. Since I am sensitive to fragrances, I find it better to do my own thing.
#18 of 26 Old 08-24-2006, 07:17 PM

Thanks for that quick response Kari mom!
So you only wash them 1 time?
I washed/dry a couple of other sweaters about 4 times before for this and it made them so small and thick that my 7 month old wouldn't have been able to wear them as sweaters!
I was wondering how people that make and sell them could keep them looking so light weight!
Have you ever made your own soakers out of sweaters?
I want to make some like WoolyBottoms.
I just purchased 8 really nice wool sweaters today at the Salvation Army for 99 cents each! Score!!! One even has an American flag on it in country colors.
I can't wait for them to come out of the dryer!!!
I guess I just sew them and then lanolize and I'm in business. )
Thanks again!!!
Julie
#19 of 26 Old 08-24-2006, 07:52 PM

I really like that bumware pattern, but as shorties and not longies, I think I'll experiment with that and some foe aroung the leg openings. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out. I got a few sweater for $1 at the bargain box.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#20 of 26 Old 08-24-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I've made shorties and longies from sweaters, but not soakers. My son in diapers is two, and I think he looks best in shorts and pants. I want to make some wool wraps next, as soon as I have some sewing time.
#21 of 26 Old 08-26-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrymama
Thanks for that quick response Kari mom!
So you only wash them 1 time?
I washed/dry a couple of other sweaters about 4 times before for this and it made them so small and thick that my 7 month old wouldn't have been able to wear them as sweaters!
I was wondering how people that make and sell them could keep them looking so light weight!
I want to make some like WoolyBottoms.
I just purchased 8 really nice wool sweaters today at the Salvation Army for 99 cents each! Score!!! One even has an American flag on it in country colors.
I can't wait for them to come out of the dryer!!!
I guess I just sew them and then lanolize and I'm in business. )
Thanks again!!!
Julie
I'm looking for directions on how to make "wooly bottoms" also. (free would be nice!) I'm new here and new to diaper making (haven't made any covers yet, but need to.) Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
#22 of 26 Old 08-27-2006, 01:25 AM
Banned

so, for recycled wool, is felting better? or should i not felt? i'm so confused.
#23 of 26 Old 08-27-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodafli
so, for recycled wool, is felting better? or should i not felt? i'm so confused.
I'm new here too and have been following the thread and don't understand the purpose of felting? I try to avoid felting the wool covers I've purchased? I once accidently felted a wool sweater and it turned out to look like a doll sweater.

Do I have to felt?
#24 of 26 Old 08-27-2006, 03:43 PM

No, you do not have to felt. Both felted and unfelted wool work fine for diapering. I felt some sweaters and not others, and when I do felt I felt lightly, not to the doll sweater stage at all.

Felting does pack more wool fiber into the same space, so it can be more "bulletproof" as a cover especially for overnight. Sometimes sweaters soften up when you felt them a bit. Felted wool does not unravel. And if you are interested in wool that can be machine washed and does not need lanolizing, heavily felted wool works best.

I do not felt sweaters that are of very soft wool like cashmere, that are tightly and finely knit, and that are exactly the right size for my project as they are. You lose a lot of sweater when you felt, you might end up making shorts when you wanted pants, kwim?

Does that help clear it up?
#25 of 26 Old 08-27-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_mom
Does that help clear it up?

YES! Thank you very much. I'm going to try to make some longies this week.
#26 of 26 Old 08-28-2006, 01:46 AM

I agree w/ kari_mom that you felt some and don't felt others. Feel the weight of the wool in your hand, and stretch it. If it's super loose weave, it's probably worth it to felt a bit. Sometimes, I only wash in hot if I want a slight felt, but other times I do both the washer and dryer. I'm experimenting w/ patterns now, and I agree with pp's that you just use an existing cloth dipe pattern and enlarge it a bit. A tip for sweater shopping....check out the men's aisle. Happy sewing!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page