What kind of yarn stash do you have? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A tragic incident involving a toddler and yarn caused me to sit down and look through part of my stash tonight. um, not to state the obvious, but i have A LOT of yarn. i really surprised myself.

If you want to see it all, there are photos (tons of them) on my blog. http://joycevance.typepad.com/

So, what's in your stash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 01:55 AM

I did buy a couple skeins today to get started on some sweaters so they are sitting on the bookshelf next to the couch. I have a box with an ongoing afghan project next to the couch and in the basement there's a cabinet with a couple shelves of thread and some random yarn I couldn't part with. Like my spider project. Which reminds me...I should finish that for halloween. Anyway, I just purged a little while ago so I have barely anything left.
#3 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 01:57 AM

For the most part my stash consists of all the cheap yarn I've mistakenly bought over the years. I use up every inch of the good stuff!

#4 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 02:00 AM

Sadly nothing like what I want.

I have one drawer of natural fibers and two drawers of acrylic. My needle stash is more elaborate and in depth but I refuse to post pictures of it. It really is an addiction I have going.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#5 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 02:29 AM

Oh wow rorysgirl, I'd love to go shopping in your stash!

I only started knitting last month, so my stash is very small and it all fits in the Trader Joe's canvas sack I use for my knitting.

-4 skeins of Cascade 220; 2 have already been used for the first two soakers I made, but I'm going to frog them since they didn't fit ds (I used the free tinybirds patterns, but ds is too chunky for them!) The two unused skeins will be a pair of striped longies for the fall (grey and green)

-2 skeins of Peace Fleece. One skein, a really pretty red, I already used for a pair of shorties using the LTK longies pattern. The second skein is a beautiful blue with lots of purple in it and I just started another pair of shorties with it.

That's it. I'm trying not to buy more until I've used what I have. My LYS has a lot of amazing yarn (I got my Peace Fleece there!). I'm still learning about all the great wool yarns out there so I'm sure I've unknowningly walked right by some delicious yarns.
#6 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 09:43 AM

My stash is way too big - even more so than yours Joyce, though not nearly as nice. I'm working very hard to complete the half-dozen or so projects that I have on needles and then I'm going to freecycle a decent amount of my acrylic since I'd only be using it for charitable knitting and there's no way I can use all of it.

Here's the rundown --

A lot of Lion Brand Homespun in shades of green.
About 2 pounds of hand-dyed Fisherman's Wool, one more pound un-dyed
4 skeins of a pretty blue variagated mohair
2 balls of wool/cashmere blend in a pretty rust color
7 balls of Rowan Kid in burgandy
1 skein of Black hand-dyed wool with gorgeous pooling in shades of gray
Lots of Sugar and Cream (working through this for dish/hand towels)
1 pound of sport/fingering weight acrylic green/white variagated - I finally got a pair of size 1 circs so this will be turned into socks and a pair of stockings before too long
3 skeins each of burgandy and gray fingering weight wool, again waiting to be turned into stockings
3 balls of cotton/microfiber blend that was/will be a sweater for my son
Lots of Caron acrylic that will one day be a log cabin throw
A gallon ziplock bag filled with novelty yarn
Bits and pieces left over from completed projects
More acrylic than you can shake a stick at...

It currently lives in several 22 gallon totes, many ziplock bags, a few cardboard boxes, 5 project bags, and one of those plastic three-drawer chests. Don't even ask me about my fleece and rovings

I did go to my LYS on Sunday to "visit" some yarn, managed to escape with just a pair of needles - *sigh*

Oh for unlimmited time and unlimmited funds...
#7 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 10:35 AM

I'm anti stash. I try to only buy stuff I'm going to use right away- and I try to use up what is left over as soon as I can... so most of my projects have a little sidekick- a doll jacket, dishcloth, baby hat...

I have a few things, but it's a source of annoyance to me. Go figure.

So- is the toddler ok? I'm hoping it was a yarn tragedy and not a baby tragedy!

OK- just visited the blog... my stash is nothing like that!
#8 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
I did buy a couple skeins today to get started on some sweaters so they are sitting on the bookshelf next to the couch. I have a box with an ongoing afghan project next to the couch and in the basement there's a cabinet with a couple shelves of thread and some random yarn I couldn't part with. Like my spider project. Which reminds me...I should finish that for halloween. Anyway, I just purged a little while ago so I have barely anything left.
what is your spider project!!??:
#9 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 11:29 AM

And WOW that is a HUGE stash!

I don't have any pictures of my stash; however, I can tell that I have two XL space bags filled, about half dozen skein out for project and little bucket filled with about another 12 dozen skeins for upcoming projects!

I have a lot of PF, yarn from my LYS, and yarn from LTK! I am trying not to buy anymore until I use a good bit of but I just bought A LOT from PF!:
#10 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 11:54 AM

My stash fills three clear 30 gallon tubs and a huge roller suitcase. With the move, I will be resorting it.

It exploded when my grandfather send me 2 HUGE boxes of vintage yarn (mostly acrylic) that was my grandmothers.

So far I tend to shop for projects so it hasn't really grown or shrunk much.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#11 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 12:07 PM

That is a beautiful stash. I'm a sewing not a knitter (with a fabric stash, and "trophy" fabric), but my little sister knits and I often want to buy beautiful skeins of yarns for her. I finally did this weekend, when I was at an ag. fair and they were shearing alpacas and spinning the yarn. I bought her a skein of pretty brown from Rusty. Maybe she'll make me a hat.
#12 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 12:43 PM

I need to go look at Joyce's. I did an excel spreadsheet of mine and it wasn't pretty (it's one of the reasons I offered to do THREE soakers for the MDF Patsy auctions - directed stash useage). I need to take pictures of mine. I know "Flash Your Stash" is usually APril 1, but maybe we need a MDC FYS? It'd be great in the blogring

~amey
#13 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 01:00 PM

Wow-I like the idea of keeping an excel spreadsheet on your stash. I know that would help keep me from buying lots of yarn I don't need! My stash is getting pretty big right now-I need to finish several projects so I can fit the new yarn into the closet! My yarn is organized by fiber (and by knitting yarn vs. weaving yarn) in the closet in my crafty room. I need to take a picture though!

Jessica-Wife to Tim and SAHM to DS (6/07) and : due 4/10
#14 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 01:50 PM

My spider project started last year with my then 3 month old. I wanted to crochet her a spider costume, put her in a snuggly and dress myself as a spider web (I got the idea from Martha Stewart). I had purchased some generic thick chenille yarn a year previous for a sweater but it was too bulky so I just saved it. Anyway, I start in on this costume and the yarn is just horrible, shedding like crazy and tough to work with so I abandoned the costume. But I had the fantastic idea to make a spider out of it so I've completed the body and part of a leg but getting the joints right was hard and I knew I'd never be finished in a day so I put it away for and vowed to make it for this Halloween. The body is about 2.5 feet long and with the leg span, it oughta be HUGE. I was thinking about making it a black widow.
#15 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I have a little left over 50% wool 50% alpaca and a TON of 100% wool that is undyed and unbleached
#16 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Sarah]So- is the toddler ok? I'm hoping it was a yarn tragedy and not a baby tragedy! [QUOTE]

ollie is fine. he was quite pleased with himself. he took almost all the yarn out and mashed it around on the floor. then he got this huge pair of orange plastic needles i keep in a vase on my dresser and used one as a sword. the other, he tied some loose yarn around so it could be a fishing pole (supposedly, his older brother was keeping an eye on him while he played upstairs so dh and i could clean up after dinner, but apparently not). he came down so proud to show us what he had done : this one always keeps us on our toes. he doesn't like "toys" instead, he likes boxes and sticks, and he likes to make his own toys out of "real" things like balls of yarn, sofa cushions, and laundry baskets. he's a treasure. it's a lot of fun to watch him play, but not always fun to clean up, lol.
#17 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amey
I need to go look at Joyce's. I did an excel spreadsheet of mine and it wasn't pretty (it's one of the reasons I offered to do THREE soakers for the MDF Patsy auctions - directed stash useage). I need to take pictures of mine. I know "Flash Your Stash" is usually APril 1, but maybe we need a MDC FYS? It'd be great in the blogring

~amey
I saw that Amey!

You have quite a bit!
#18 of 26 Old 08-22-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
My spider project started last year with my then 3 month old. I wanted to crochet her a spider costume, put her in a snuggly and dress myself as a spider web (I got the idea from Martha Stewart). I had purchased some generic thick chenille yarn a year previous for a sweater but it was too bulky so I just saved it. Anyway, I start in on this costume and the yarn is just horrible, shedding like crazy and tough to work with so I abandoned the costume. But I had the fantastic idea to make a spider out of it so I've completed the body and part of a leg but getting the joints right was hard and I knew I'd never be finished in a day so I put it away for and vowed to make it for this Halloween. The body is about 2.5 feet long and with the leg span, it oughta be HUGE. I was thinking about making it a black widow.
Awww! It is a shame it didn't work out it sounds like it would be really cute!
#19 of 26 Old 08-23-2006, 02:22 AM

I flashed my wool stash here: http://knittingsheeple.livejournal.com/46491.html

~amey
#20 of 26 Old 08-24-2006, 04:48 PM

Yay, you have Colinette in your stash! Up the Brits!!!!

Sorry, normal service will now be resumed. I currently have
300g of bright red cotton 4ply
400g of bottle green cotton DK (destined to be trellis)
150g of fuschia alpaca (cardigan for Skye)
An obscene quantity of oddments of Jaegar and Rowan 4ply
600g of peace fleece (lena's meadow), destined to be Samus
200g of Debbie Bliss Maya, which will be longies unless someone can show me a better pattern fast.
Huge quantities of merino, falkland and BFL roving
A skein of purty handspun.
Oddments

Basically, I need more yarn. But I have a new LYS, so that's OK, right?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#21 of 26 Old 08-24-2006, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
Yay, you have Colinette in your stash! Up the Brits!!!!

Basically, I need more yarn. But I have a new LYS, so that's OK, right?
i luuurve my colinette. now i just need a source for some of that soft lovely organic british bfl to dye!
#22 of 26 Old 08-25-2006, 12:07 PM

www.organicpurewool.co.uk

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#23 of 26 Old 08-25-2006, 02:25 PM

wow, very cool

I will try to get some pics of mine later

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#24 of 26 Old 08-25-2006, 05:42 PM

darn you all to heck! you made me start knitting, you with all of your pictures of your pretty yarn! I went to the yarn store today and got my first needles, some yarn, a book (kids knitting), a class schedule and some help from Joan to cast on my stitches. She said she'd be there tomorrow morning if I needed her.

I have so much fabric and sewing to do, what am I doing with these needles in my lap! :
#25 of 26 Old 08-25-2006, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fek&fuzz
darn you all to heck! you made me start knitting, you with all of your pictures of your pretty yarn! I went to the yarn store today and got my first needles, some yarn, a book (kids knitting), a class schedule and some help from Joan to cast on my stitches. She said she'd be there tomorrow morning if I needed her.

I have so much fabric and sewing to do, what am I doing with these needles in my lap! :
always happy to be an enabler : feel free to drop me an email if you need any help getting started
#26 of 26 Old 08-25-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorysgirl1
always happy to be an enabler : feel free to drop me an email if you need any help getting started
Thanks. I'm making some bean bags. I'll probably be back...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page