sewing a lined hood? help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-27-2006, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i'm making a lined cape for my 2 year old. i have the whole cape sewn together with the neckline left open for the insertion of a lined hood.

why can't i figure this out?

i don't know what to sew together first! do i sew the lining, and then sew it to the outside, or do i sew the lining into the right side first, then the left, then piece it together?

i'm so confused!

edited to say: i'm doing this without a pattern, and basing it very loosely on an unlined cape my 7 year old owns.
#2 of 4 Old 08-28-2006, 01:58 AM

Is the hood a completely separate piece from the cape? So, therefore, you have the "right" side of the hood, and the lining, which both need to be joined to the cape itself?

I would sew the lining section first, set it aside.

Sew the hood section next, set it aside [Neither one is attached to the cape at this point].

Next, sew the hood itself to the cape along the neckline (right side to right side).

Press a 5/8 seam allowance up on the neck edge of the lining for the hood lining. Join the lining to the hood, right sides together, leaving the neck edge UNSEWN. Turn it so that the right sides are "out" for both the hood and the lining.

Now, slip-stitch the lining edge down along the neckline, catching in the raw edge/seam (you may need to clip curves or etc., depending on how the neckline goes). If you don't want to slip-stitch, you could machine-stitch the lining edge down instead (it would probably take more roughness this way, just wouldn't look as "neatly finished").

I hope that's somewhat more clear than mud. ??

Not all who wander are lost.
#3 of 4 Old 08-28-2006, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's a bit late to do this now, but, if you ever decide to make one again, you can sew the entire outside of the cape (including the hood) and then the entire liining (again, with the hood) and then sew the 2 together, leaving an opening at the bottom (or along the front) for turning.

But, unless you want to take time apart now, elanorh gave good directions for what to do next.

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#4 of 4 Old 08-28-2006, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

i figured it out! it just took a few "practice hoods" first.

it'll all work out.

thank you so much for your suggestions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page