Embroidering Eyes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-30-2006, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am making a couple of Magic Cabin Dolls with my two daughters and have come to the part where we are embroidering the faces on. I am just not clear on something. I understand how to get the embroidery Floss to the front of the face using a dollmaking needle, but -

#1 Do you use the entire several strands of floss, or just 1? I am assuming all strands, but the instructions just say don't double the floss.

#2 Do you take the dollmaking needle off and do the embroidering with the tapestry needle? Again, the instructions don't specify.....however I would assume that the dollmaking needle is too long.

Hope someone can help - otherwise I'll just give it a go and see what happens.

Thanks! Jada
#2 of 5 Old 08-30-2006, 10:00 PM

Hi!
I love Waldorf dolls and dollmaking. I know you will be hooked too, once you see your children playing with (and loving) the results of your efforts!

The hardest part to perfect is the facial embroidery. Here are a few tips:
First, place ball end pins into the face at the place that you would like you eyes and mouth. You can move these around until you get just the right placement. I like to use colored ball head pins-pink for the mouth, green for the eyes, or what ever you have in the mix.

Starting with the eyes-take the floss and separate the floss into two parts of 3 strands each. The floss should be arount 2 feet long or so. Run the floss through some bee's wax or Stockmar modeling wax, once or twice. This really helps to control the floss so you get good coverage on the satin stitch and it stays put. Thread one section of the floss onto the doll making needle and go from the front of the face through the spot where the first eye placement pin was through to the back of the head, leaving the long strand in the front of the head. Remove the doll making needle and tie a knot at the back of the head. Take your embroindery needle and thread the floss from the front of the head and embroider your first eye. I like to make 3 or 4 short vertical stitches close together first, catching the eyeline that is tied underneath the skin fabric. Then I make the horizontal satin stitches over these vertical ones to form the eye. On the last of these horizontal stitches I rethread the doll making needle onto the floss and sent it back through to the back of the head and tie off. Then I repeat the steps for the second eye. It helps to count your stitches so that you can repeat the process and make the eyes a matching set.

For the mouth, I like to use the full set of floss strands. Wax the thread well, thread onto the doll making needle and start from the front of the face again and tie off in the back of the head, leaving the long floss in the front of the face. Thread this floss onto your embroidery needle. I like to make this first stitch about 3/16" away from the mouth placement pin and the second stitch about 3/16" on the other side for the upper lip, catching some wool stuffing underneath as I cross over to make the bottom lip just slightly lower and smaller than the top lip. On this last stitch I rethread the doll making needle and pass through to the back of the head and tie off.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck to you and Happy Dolli making!!
#3 of 5 Old 09-04-2006, 06:41 AM

Thanks for those instructions. I've been trying for ages to find good tips on doing eyes on various types of toys and dolls.

http://findinggaia.com - a novel about romance, shifting gender politics, and environmentalism

http://eat-the-evidence.com

http://kimberlychapman.com

#4 of 5 Old 09-04-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlychapman
Thanks for those instructions. I've been trying for ages to find good tips on doing eyes on various types of toys and dolls.
Please note:These instrucions are for Waldorf type doll faces with wool stuffing.The waxing of the floss does not work well with fur pile, or polyfil. The floss should be used dry, or Perle Cotton should be used, instead.
#5 of 5 Old 09-05-2006, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! The suggestion to start from the front, not the back of the head is a great idea, I can see how that will increase the accuracy of placement. I was wondering how that would work....

I think we will try to do the faces this week - although with a new baby it is hard to find the time!

Jada

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page