Licensed designs for home use? What are the laws? *Oh well, added PICS anyways!* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2006, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I while ago (like 9 months ago) I came across a cute and inventive design to keep babies and toddlers from undoing the aplix on their diapers. I can't remember the company, but they called them "Giggle Flaps" I think. They were little rectangles of fabric that were sewn above the aplix and they hung down over the tabs after they were closed and snapped shut. I thought it was a cool idea, but never got around to trying it. Now, the site said it was a licensed product (or whatever the term is?) and should not be re-created for home use (para-phrasing here). So what's the deal with that? Can they really stop people from using their design for home use? Legally, I mean. Even disney doesn't have rules that strict. You are allowed to draw or create likenesses as long as you don't *sell* them.

Anyways, I haven't seen any of these diapers around. I don't even know if they are still making them. So I made one last night and it turned out *adorable* and I want to share it with you guys, but I was kind of iffy about posting pictures because I didn't know what the deal is with the home use thingy. So what do you think? Should I post pics??? : Can I really get in trouble for sewing a rectangle of fabric to a diaper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 07:03 PM

I seriously doubt they can prevent you from making your own home use tabs....no matter what they do. It's not really possible. They /can/ 'corner the market' for such an item and copyright it for sales....but they can't prevent you from doing your own version for home use!

I wouldn't sell them on Ebay or anything though...JIC they are still around. If your version of it is a bit different, then even then you are usually ok!

I'd say post the pics. Moms make 'knock offs' of popular styles all the time and as long as they are not selling them retail, without a 'cottage license' or being a licensed distributor, you are fine!

That is such a goofy thing for them to say, if they really say don't even try to make a version like it at home for home use! I wouldn't buy anything from a company that was that AR about it! It's like the medical industry trying to get 'mamma cloth' considered a 'medical device' (since it 'captured' menstrual flow) and therefore regulated so that only certain licensed companies could 'make' and sell, what is basically a fancy cloth 'rag'! Geez, the nerve of some folks!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Yeah, I didn't think it was really something they could control.

Here's the pics:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shauna...e2.jpg&.src=ph

I feel like such an outlaw!

I did a search on yahoo and it was drybees, but it doesn't look like they make them any more. I didn't even find any on ebay.

ETA: I forgot to give the details! It's a pocket/aio. I did one layer of hemp jersey and one layer of birdseye (I dyed it yellow) for the inner body layers. There are 4 layers of hemp jersey for the soaker. I made the soaker 4.5x15" so it's long and wide to make up for it only being 4 layers. I left a pocket opening in the back so 1) it dries faster and 2) I can add extra absorbancy. I'm not sure how well it works yet because it's still in the wash but I can't wait to see if it discourages DS from tearing it off two seconds after I put it on him!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:56 PM

Ok, that's so CUTE! My boys strip down and are really hard to keep in clothing, much less diapers or underwear!!

I usually avoid aplix closings for that reason, so the tab thing might make it a bit more difficult to tear off, since it's snapped. I hope it works for you!!

Really, really cute!
Old 09-01-2006, 10:20 PM

What an awesome idea!

My little one has discovered the aplix tabs, so I'm trying to figure out what to do. I may just have to invest in a snap press....

Very cute! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:23 PM

Cute diaper and great idea!

I agree with Heather, you can pretty much copy anything you want for home use. It is only when you make money off of it in anyway that copywrite and licensing laws come into play, and then it seems to be one big, ill-defined gray area.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:22 PM

SOOOOOOOO CUTE!!! So, how'd it work out? Keep us updated!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHMLamar
SOOOOOOOO CUTE!!! So, how'd it work out? Keep us updated!
It worked out so-so. My DS still tried to get the diaper off. He stuck his little fingers in the sides of the flap and started messing with the aplix. I saw him doing it so I reminded him to leave his diaper alone and he did. So it won't work for a toddler who *really* doesn't want to wear a diaper, but it may work for a kid who absent-mindedly fiddles with the aplix. Like "out of sight, out of mind" type thing. Oh well, it's cute anyways. I stayed with my sister last night and her neighbor came over and my sister made me show her the diaper, so I got to advocate cloth a little bit. She was *floored* with how nice cloth diapers are now. Aren't most people though?
Old 09-03-2006, 09:35 PM

That is so cute! I love the bright colors... you did a great job!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_mommy
What an awesome idea!

My little one has discovered the aplix tabs, so I'm trying to figure out what to do. I may just have to invest in a snap press....

Very cute! Thanks for sharing.

My son figured out how to get velcro off, so I took out my snap press and started adding snaps to everything.

Then ds promptly figured out how to get those off too Oh well. This particular flap looks like it would be harder for my son to get off though. I may just have to try that...

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)

User Tag List