What EASY sewing patterns do you prefer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-31-2003, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since I'm a beginning sewer I'm looking for advice on patterns. I've gotten a few from Goodwill (very dated styles but I figured I could update) and a few on sale for .99 that were McCalls and Butterick I think for toddler girls dresses/summer clothes. They were "categorized" as easy but that remains to be seen.
What about the See and Sew or Sew 123? Any thing that you really like out there that I should try?
If there are any teach yourself books out there you've tried I'd love to hear about those too.
The only thing I've sewn so far are lots of little bean bags for my kids-so we're very beginning here
Thanks,
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#2 of 5 Old 03-31-2003, 10:50 PM

I think the Kwik Sew patterns are really good for beginners.....you can buy these patterns online or in some chain fabric stores.

www.sewingpatterns.com (expensive on this site, IMO, but a great place to look at the patterns available.

www.kwiksew.com

I really like Burda patterns, but I've been sewing for a few years now.

HTH!
#3 of 5 Old 04-01-2003, 02:11 AM

I agree with Mamax3. KwikSew hands down are the easiest, most fun kids patterns. I love the books of patters. You'll need a bunch of tracing paper or pattern tissue (you can buy this from a bolt or roll at a fabric store. It looks like interfacing).
I like em because you pay around $12-14 for the book and there is honestly no end to the patterns you have from there. It is like sewing creativity for beginners and pros alike!

Gosh, I am always pumping those books over here. Wonder if I can request commission?:
#4 of 5 Old 04-05-2003, 02:42 AM

For some reason I always thought the KwikSew books were for more experienced sewers, so I never looked at them!

Do the patterns run bulky or slender? I mean, I realized they're infinitely adjustable, but I'd like to have a feel for how a T3 would fit if I just cut along their lines. I usually sew with Simplicity, and the stuff is really too bulky for my kids so I adjust accordingly.
#5 of 5 Old 04-05-2003, 10:31 PM

The best way to gauge the sizing is to measure your child and go buy his/her measurements...for instance, my DD is tall and slender so I cut along the size 4 line for length and the size 3 line for width and that usually fits her just right.

Kwik Sew usually runs a little big, IMO.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page