Recycled clothes and fabric softener??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-04-2006, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can clothes be saved and recycled for diapers if they've been washed to death in non-cloth diaper friendly detergent and fabric softener?

I just want to know before I start the time-consuming and energy-wasting process of stripping.

My sister gave me a bag of clothes and some of the stuff would be great for diapers (80% cotton velour pants mmmm....) but omg you should see how they wash their clothes!

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 09-04-2006, 07:50 AM

I haven't done it myself, but it is probably possible. I guess you would just wash those bad boys to death with vinegar and no soap. If the water has no suds, then I'd dry. If water beads off and you are up for another round, go for it, otherwise, pass it on sista.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#3 of 7 Old 09-04-2006, 12:30 PM

I would wash them in a cd friendly detergent several times, no need to send them through the dryer between washes. Something like Charlie's or sportwash would be great, as they remove the old detergent residue.
#4 of 7 Old 09-04-2006, 11:17 PM

Glad to see some one else asking this! I am in the process of stripping a bag of my husbands old t-shirts (mostly stuff from college ie he use to wash them himself ). I've washed them 4 or 5 times (I've lost track) and still have a washer full of suds!!! I put a little bit of Rain Drops (a calgon rip-off) into the first two cycles, then switched to just white vinegar (in the rinse) for the last two or three. Will the suds ever end?!? Should I be putting vinegar in the wash rather than just in the rinse? (I was able to use this as a lesson on laundry for DH, though "This is exactly why I am always telling you not to use as much detergent as the bottle says!" I think he finally believes me!)

Marjorie
wife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05 and Kathryn 9/09
#5 of 7 Old 09-05-2006, 03:04 PM

It's kind of funny that way before I ever even thought about CDing I was a cheapskate and used 1/2 of whatever the detergent recommended. So If I dig out old cothes to recycle it shouldn't be a problem.

Marie- Mom to David- c/s 2/1/03, Andrew VBAC 2/13/06 and Ashee unplanned unassisted homebirth 10/10/09
#6 of 7 Old 09-05-2006, 03:54 PM

If you wash in Calgon boxed water softener it will strip everything out of the material.
#7 of 7 Old 09-05-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto l&a
If you wash in Calgon boxed water softener it will strip everything out of the material.
It really makes little to no difference for me if I use Calgon or not, I have very hard water and even extra Calgon doesn't work. But when I switched to Sportwash then Charlies, tons of suds for the first few washes.

So to the OP I would say you might have to try a few things to get all the detergent and softener out, depending on your situation.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page