Turn and Topstich or Serge...Which do you prefer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-09-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been making a few fitteds by serging the edges, but i am not sure the frill around the legs is too comfortable for my son. So i am considering trying to turn and topstich and i am wondering what you prefer. My goal is to make a trim fitted that is narrower in the crotch, so my little guy can actually walk around .

So what would you do?
#2 of 16 Old 09-09-2006, 03:45 PM

i much prefer t&t diapers to serged. i don't care for the look of serged diapers and although it does reduce bulk around the edges of the diaper, i've never had a t&t diaper turn out too bulky. serged diapers just never look quite finished to me. it's definitely a personal preference.
#3 of 16 Old 09-09-2006, 06:33 PM

Technically I do both. I serge, then turn inside out and topstitch.
Here is one I made for my kids. On this one I topstitched around the leg openings.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g/DSCF7069.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g/DSCF7064.jpg

Sometimes I choose not to topstitch around the legs, so the inner fabric rolls out:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g/DSCF6737.jpg
#4 of 16 Old 09-09-2006, 06:48 PM

I prefer t&t over serged diapers b/c of the ruffles and also b/c I don't like the process of lining up the gathered edges to serge them. T&t diapers look neater and more finished to me also. But my favorite, even better than t&t, is binding with fold-over-elastic. Once I started using that, I quit making all other styles. It is by far the fastest and easiest construction method for me. You finish and elasticize the edges of the diaper all in one pass, just by stretching the foe where you want gathers and not stretching over the rest. I am using the Chloe Toes pattern which is made for foe, but you can use other patterns too, just cut off the seam allowance if it's sposed to be t&t. The free Mama Bird pattern uses foe too. And if you need instructions, there are great picture tutorials on the Chloe Toes website. If you do decide you want to stick with serged diapers, I think you can minimize the ruffle bulk by serging very close to the elastic. Just don't cut into the elastic.
#5 of 16 Old 09-09-2006, 06:52 PM

Am I the only one who cannot, no matter what, get fold-over-anything to work at all?
#6 of 16 Old 09-09-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
Am I the only one who cannot, no matter what, get fold-over-anything to work at all?
Did you try these instructions? http://www.chloetoesboutique.com/store/WsPages.asp?ID=3

I had a little trouble with it at first. The first few times I used it was on clothing and it was harder than applying it to diapers. Diapers took a bit of practice too, but by about the 3rd or 4th one, I had it down. The only problem I still have sometimes is getting the elastic even on both leg openings. Once in awhile I get them lopsided and have to redo them. But even that is pretty fast and simple to fix. I totally love foe diapers.
#7 of 16 Old 09-09-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys4mama
Did you try these instructions? http://www.chloetoesboutique.com/store/WsPages.asp?ID=3

I had a little trouble with it at first. The first few times I used it was on clothing and it was harder than applying it to diapers. Diapers took a bit of practice too, but by about the 3rd or 4th one, I had it down. The only problem I still have sometimes is getting the elastic even on both leg openings. Once in awhile I get them lopsided and have to redo them. But even that is pretty fast and simple to fix. I totally love foe diapers.
Hmm, I can't get that site to come up. I will have to try again later.
#8 of 16 Old 09-09-2006, 09:59 PM

I started out making t&t diapers and they were fine, but then once I got a serger and serged the edges, I like the serged dipes better. To me they seem softer around the edges (I make fitted diapers so there's usually just 2 layers of flannel immediately around the leg and waist) and when I was doing the t& t diapers, the edges were stiffer because it was more like 4 layers of flannel... (did that make sense?)

I also find it a lot faster to serge and I like that aspect of it too.

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#9 of 16 Old 09-09-2006, 11:56 PM

I love the look of T&T but I only really like pockets made this way. I love how fast serged diapers dry.

If it is just the leg frills that bother your son, you could try a hybrid, I've seen wahm diapers like this. Serge the legs, apply elastic, turn the whole thing inside out and serge the front and back wings. No leg frills, no waist bulk.
#10 of 16 Old 09-10-2006, 09:06 AM

I turn and topstitch (don't have a serger!) but only topstitch where there is no elastic. This has worked fine for us.
#11 of 16 Old 09-11-2006, 02:46 AM

HI,
You did a great job of making these dipes!!
If you don't mind, what kind of fabric is the pink stripe one? Is it PUL? Where did you get the fabric? I'm new at CDing and trying to sew a pocket diaper for my baby. What is topstitch? Thanks so much.
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82
Technically I do both. I serge, then turn inside out and topstitch.
Here is one I made for my kids. On this one I topstitched around the leg openings.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g/DSCF7069.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g/DSCF7064.jpg

Sometimes I choose not to topstitch around the legs, so the inner fabric rolls out:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g/DSCF6737.jpg

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#12 of 16 Old 09-11-2006, 02:49 AM

Hi,
I was wondering about FOE. With the FOE diapers, would they make red marks on legs though? Did any of you have any problems with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys4mama
I prefer t&t over serged diapers b/c of the ruffles and also b/c I don't like the process of lining up the gathered edges to serge them. T&t diapers look neater and more finished to me also. But my favorite, even better than t&t, is binding with fold-over-elastic. Once I started using that, I quit making all other styles. It is by far the fastest and easiest construction method for me. You finish and elasticize the edges of the diaper all in one pass, just by stretching the foe where you want gathers and not stretching over the rest. I am using the Chloe Toes pattern which is made for foe, but you can use other patterns too, just cut off the seam allowance if it's sposed to be t&t. The free Mama Bird pattern uses foe too. And if you need instructions, there are great picture tutorials on the Chloe Toes website. If you do decide you want to stick with serged diapers, I think you can minimize the ruffle bulk by serging very close to the elastic. Just don't cut into the elastic.

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#13 of 16 Old 09-11-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallyspeaking
HI,
You did a great job of making these dipes!!
If you don't mind, what kind of fabric is the pink stripe one? Is it PUL? Where did you get the fabric? I'm new at CDing and trying to sew a pocket diaper for my baby. What is topstitch? Thanks so much.
Kim
They aren't PUL, though you could make them with it. We use fitteds and wool here so the diapers themselves aren't waterproof. I got the stripey fabric at a local store that sells quilter's cottons. They have all kinds of great cottons there. Topstitch is the extra stitching around the edges of the diaper after your turn it inside out. It isn't mandatory, but it makes the diapers look a lot neater.
#14 of 16 Old 09-11-2006, 12:18 PM

What thread are you using for the serging? Maxilock? You could try using Wooly Nylon (softer and fluffier) for the looper thread that will be facing DS's legs. WN usually needs a slightly lower tension setting than Maxilock, FYI.
#15 of 16 Old 09-11-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_mom
I love the look of T&T but I only really like pockets made this way. I love how fast serged diapers dry.

If it is just the leg frills that bother your son, you could try a hybrid, I've seen wahm diapers like this. Serge the legs, apply elastic, turn the whole thing inside out and serge the front and back wings. No leg frills, no waist bulk.
Kari Mom, I love that idea!
#16 of 16 Old 09-11-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallyspeaking
Hi,
I was wondering about FOE. With the FOE diapers, would they make red marks on legs though? Did any of you have any problems with it?
No. Not at all, as long as you use the good quality foe that is real soft and cushy. I made some diapers with other foe that was not the good diaper foe and it did leave marks. It was the kind that is narrower and has a satiny finish. I thought it was pretty, but in addition to leaving red marks, it also got faded real quick and it was really hard to sew it on and keep all the diaper fabric edges inside the narrow width. I will only use the 1" diaper foe now and it seems to be very comfy for dd and ds. It really holds in the messes too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page