Overnight - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-11-2006, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been using cloth during the day (for the first time) while my son potty trains. I haven't made him anything yet because we seem close to underwear...most days. We had a huge stash of overnight disposables so I told me husband we could use those up. He informed me last night that we have 3 left so I need to make up some overnight cloth diapers FAST (or buy more overnights). I ordered some MM fleece, procare, and such, but it is not in yet. I would like to use what I have, but I need some help. I am a very experienced seamstress, but I need help with absorbencies. I have tons of fabric (flannel, terry, denim, poly knit, some Hancock's fleece, and some old DSQ prefolds "burps"). What would you suggest I use and how much? I have a serger, but I was not happy with how one of the diapers I made washed up...layers frayed despite serging (I am practicing on newborn dipes for a friend...or me when I get pregnant). I think I will turn it, and I have snaps and Velcro for closures. He doesn't usually poo in the diapers at night, but he pees a LOT. He is just shy of 29 pounds, but he is wearing a 3T for length (tall and skinny for 28 months) if that helps at all. I will probably adjust one of the online patterns for his height.

I appreciate any help you can give! Please save me from buying another pack of diapers and from making another expensive trip to the fabric store (although every trip is an expensive trip)!

Mel
#2 of 5 Old 09-13-2006, 12:59 AM

The Very Baby diaper pattern site www.sewdiapers.com has directions for making a diaper they call "simply nights". The directions are written from the perspective of using their pattern, but you could use the layers they suggest. Here is the link:
http://sewdiapers.com/showthread.php?t=23

HTH

Marjorie
wife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05 and Kathryn 9/09
#3 of 5 Old 09-13-2006, 11:31 AM

Sweet! I think I'll try that.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#4 of 5 Old 09-13-2006, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I had seen that tutorial when I was looking on the internet, but I forgot about it. That site has a ton of great tutorials that are really useful!

B slept in a diaper I made two nights ago. It was soaked (stayed in the cover), but his bed stayed dry. I didn't get it washed or something else made in time so he slept in a disposable last night. He soaked his clothes so I must have done something right in my first go at diaper making. I also made him a wool sweater soaker yesterday that should be ready/dry for tomorrow night. Thanks again for your help.

Mel
#5 of 5 Old 09-13-2006, 03:08 PM

I found a WAHM diaper that worked for my son so when it was time to make nighttime diapers I made some with the same numer of layers of hemp and they work just as well. For us that means 11 layers of hemp terry, except when he went through a super-soaker stage and I had to add 8 more layers - a long doubler folded in fourths.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page