Sox on 2 stix - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-11-2006, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes. I, OtherMother'n'Madre...the knitting guru and genius that I am, am afraid of socks. There.

That said , anyone interested in the Sox on 2 Stix pattern? It calls for size 6 needles but since it's kind of a totally custom sock could I go down in needle sizes and just size to my foot as I go? I don't mind seaming so this is the perfect thing for me to try....I want to do socks. I want to love socks. I don't want DPN's.

Oh AND would it be crazy to alter the pattern a bit? I like the look of Thuja and would love to make me a pair based off that pattern using the Sox on 2 Stix one.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#2 of 11 Old 09-11-2006, 05:47 PM

I have wanted to knit socks for as long as I can remember but they totally intimidate me! I have a few projects to finish right now but I am definitely going to try the two stix method to finally make myself something.
#3 of 11 Old 09-11-2006, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Me too! I think I'm going to go all out and use the lace weight I got the other day..........mmmmmmmmm

Give more**Expect Less
#4 of 11 Old 09-11-2006, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can do it!!

Don't fear DPNs. At first it's like doing a hard math problem...then it comes naturally. I used to hate them, until I knit my first pair of socks - they're now my single favorite thing in my wardrobe and I can't wait to finish the projects I'm working on to make more!

Next pair I'm making are for DS with the Universal Sock pattern from knitty. It'll be my first go at a sock recipe rather than using a straight-up pattern.

[PS-HOLY COW THE NEW KNITTY'S UP!!]

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#5 of 11 Old 09-11-2006, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't fear DPNs. At first it's like doing a hard math problem...then it comes naturally
I failed math. : Seriously. I did.

I can't wait to use the Universal Sock Pattern. I think that one will be fantastic. Baby steps, OMM, baby steps.

Give more**Expect Less
#6 of 11 Old 09-11-2006, 06:30 PM

I was flipping terrified of DPNs, and then one day decided I would make a frigging sock if it killed me. The first hour or so just about did. Then it jsut all clicked and I LOOOOOVE DPNs now -- like to the point that I will use them preferentially over circulars.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#7 of 11 Old 09-11-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama
I was flipping terrified of DPNs, and then one day decided I would make a frigging sock if it killed me. The first hour or so just about did. Then it jsut all clicked and I LOOOOOVE DPNs now -- like to the point that I will use them preferentially over circulars.
That was me too! And now, maybe someday soon, I may finish one of the 3 different socks OTN! I seem to have fallen in love with the IDEA of making socks, or maybe the idea of wearing socks, more than the actual finishing of the socks. (Of course, this could be said of my knitting style in general; ask DH-he comments continually on the 6 different projects-not counting socks- in various states of completion scattered around the house. )

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#8 of 11 Old 09-11-2006, 08:39 PM

I love DPNs, but I'm weird, LOL! But you could always use the two circs method, or magic loop if you fear the DPNs
#9 of 11 Old 09-11-2006, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Eh, I've done magic loop. I hate that more than I fear DPN's. :

Give more**Expect Less
#10 of 11 Old 09-11-2006, 10:51 PM

I used to fear DPN's too until I made a couple of pairs of legwarmers. Now they're easy! Legwarmers are a good dpn first project because there's no shaping to complicate things. Start out with bamboo needles--the yarn is much less likely to slip off.

The sox on 2 stix look cute, but I can't imagine how that seam could be comfortable. I know I'd notice it...

peace, Beth
#11 of 11 Old 09-14-2006, 03:17 AM
Banned

I'm not afraid of the DPNs but I'm bored silly by knitting in the round - so these socks are going to be perfect for me. I am not up for altering a pattern on the first go so I'm probably going to knit it as written - oh wait, I probably will just do all plain ribbing instead of that cute little cable - I can't wait to pick out some yarn!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page