Playsilks - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2007, 12:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't have any trouble at all with the colors not being colorfast. In fact, the orange silk is one of my favorites. I don't know what the factors are that make some work and others not. Most of my koolaid ones are mottled, the cake colors are more solid (but I did those on stovetop).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers View Post
I've spent the past 2 days messing with koolaid and silk scarf blanks : I've tried Grape, cherry/black cherry, lemon-lime, pink lemonade, blue raspberry lemonade, lemonade, mango, orange, and one I coffee dyed.

My results: Coffee dye was the easiest, most uniform and nicely colorfast! It looks almost golden in the sunshine
Pink lemonade, mango, and lemonade were all easy & covered fairly evenly. I dyed them all 2x, though. Mango is my favorite, I think!
Orange, blue rasp, and lemon-lime all were mottled (doesn't look bad, just not what I was going for). The orange didn't stay very orange- faded to more of a salmon color after rinsing.
Grape and Cherry were not colorfast at all. I did these several times and couldn't get the color to stick.

I soaked all of my blanks in vinegar water, added vinegar to the koolaid solution, and used the microwave to set the dye. For the ones that I couldn't get the color to set, I even did a post-dye rinse in salted vinegar water because it worked so well for the coffee silk.

Am I doing it wrong or does this seem typical? I do mostly like the results. They'll be dry in the morning and I can post a pic if anyone wants.

Next time I'm trying the wilson's food dye or even simple food coloring.
I would love to see them! :
Old 03-14-2007, 09:56 PM

I just stumbled across this thread and wanted to say thanks for the inspiration! I am going to make some of our own playsilks. Right now dd has some big scarfs of varying patterns that I got at Goodwill as psuedo-playsilks. But we have been experimenting with using kool-aid for dyeing the playdoh I make for her and I really like the idea of using kool-aid to make some playsilks. Thanks everyone! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdypea View Post
We have had great luck making our own playsilks. We used dharma trading company blanks and kool-aid. It was so easy and fun. I couldn't find really detailed instructions anywhere, but once I started doing it I could see why. It really wass pretty foolproof for us. Easy and fun! We also used regular old food coloring and vinegar for some of the silks.

So far we have had good luck with all of the colors, although we haven't laundered them yet (just rinsed them occasionally) and they are used mainly inside (so they aren't out in the sun a lot.) I guess when they start to fade we'll just try to dye them again. Maybe it will work and maybe not But I knew it would be eons before we could afford to do it any other way, like with fiber reactive dyes, or storebought, so we did it the cheap and easy way!

There are pictures of them on my blog here (scroll down about halfway)

Edited to add permalink to our playsilks.
OT;
I love the stuff you made and the projects in your blog. The car wash game is definitely one I will try with dd. She would love it. And I have to say, I am completely bonkers over the 70's fisher price record player. I have to manifest buying one of those at Goodwill too!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:10 PM

Here are some pics of what I made with my cake color playsilks.

A cape for the birthday of a little girl from ds's preschool:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...r/DSC02925.jpg

And, a baby blanket for a friend's baby shower. Silk on one side, stars and moons painted with silk paint, flannel on the other like in the Magic Cabin catalogue:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...r/DSC02927.jpg
The purples are so much nicer than the koolaid purple.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:26 PM

totally OT here.
Rowdypea, I live in Japan and when young sweethearts want to write thier initals instead of inside a heart , it is under an umbrella. So your stitchwork of the bunnies under the umbrella is true love!

I have done a few koolaid ones, so quick and easy. If I do two in the same batch (one package) then the second one is VERY light, and still has white bits, sort of tie dy ed looking. But, I like the results. My DD#1 just loves her silks. So do all her girl playmates. I know boys play with them, but not the ones that come here.

Want to make some of the wilton dyes for Easter to put in her basket.
Kathryn
Old 03-16-2007, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post

And, a baby blanket for a friend's baby shower. Silk on one side, stars and moons painted with silk paint, flannel on the other like in the Magic Cabin catalogue:

Flor- I remember when you were just considering making these and asking for tips here. They came out so beautiful. I especially LOVE how the blanket came out! It is so much nicer than storebought. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-16-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor

Flor- I remember when you were just considering making these and asking for tips here. They came out so beautiful. I especially LOVE how the blanket came out! It is so much nicer than storebought. Thanks for sharing!

Oh my, those are super cute. What thoughtful gifts! And that blanket is so sweet.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:53 PM

those are fantastic!
how did you make the cape? ive been thinking of making some like that
i'd like to add hoods to mine.

and the blanket is beautiful! im patiently waiting for my silkpaints! did you use stensils?

fern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 03-18-2007, 11:31 PM

I finished mine and here they are! The first from the left is chamomile tea and next is coffee. The rest are koolaid: Black cherry, grape, mango, orange, lemon-lime, ice blue raspberry lemonaid, pink lemonaid, and lemonaid.

I think I expected the colors to be more vibrant but I like what I did more and more

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...aysilks013.jpg
Old 03-19-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
those are fantastic!
how did you make the cape? ive been thinking of making some like that
i'd like to add hoods to mine.

and the blanket is beautiful! im patiently waiting for my silkpaints! did you use stensils?

fern
For the cape I just pinned two silks together and sewed two straight lines with my machine. I slipped the ribbon in then put a tiny stitch attaching the silks to the ribbon in two places so the ribbon didn't fall out. I attached some sticky velcro to the bottom on the ribbon so the 3 yo could easily put it on and off by herself and it would pull off easily if necessary.

I used rubber stamps for the blankets. It didn't show up very well, so I used that as the outline for the shape but then painted it in by hand. The paints dry a little stiff so I didn't put as many stars on as I had originally planned. The plain silk feels nicer. Be sure your paints are opaque! I bought a yellow and a gold and the yellow didn't show up at ALL.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:16 PM

I just finished dyeing my first two playsilks ever and I wanted to share!! I had 3 packets of Kool-Aid in the house (2 lemonades and an orange) so I did a small yellow and a small orange. They turned out great and I can't wait for dh to come home with the car so I can go get more vinegar and Kool-aid and dye the rest!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/DSCN2669.jpg

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:28 AM

Three more freshly dyed and dried playsilks: blue food coloring, lemon-lime kool-aid, and black cherry kool-aid.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/DSCN2671.jpg

Old 03-27-2007, 12:42 PM

they are so pretty! i like the light colours a lot.

fern

Quote:
I finished mine and here they are! The first from the left is chamomile tea and next is coffee. The rest are koolaid: Black cherry, grape, mango, orange, lemon-lime, ice blue raspberry lemonaid, pink lemonaid, and lemonaid.

I think I expected the colors to be more vibrant but I like what I did more and more

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...aysilks013.jpg

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 03-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
Three more freshly dyed and dried playsilks: blue food coloring, lemon-lime kool-aid, and black cherry kool-aid.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...s/DSCN2671.jpg
Nice! That's what I was going for but mine turned out more pastel.

How did you get the colors to stay so bright? My lemon lime koolaid rinsed out to a blue tone. Did you dye on the stovetop or microwave? Did you rinse until the water turned clear? Is it colorfast? Please share the secrets
Old 03-27-2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Nice! That's what I was going for but mine turned out more pastel.

How did you get the colors to stay so bright? My lemon lime koolaid rinsed out to a blue tone. Did you dye on the stovetop or microwave? Did you rinse until the water turned clear? Is it colorfast? Please share the secrets
You can re-do them if you want to make them darker! I redid my blue one this morning (before I took the pic) because it was a tad lighter than I wanted and the second time around it turned out perfect!

This was my first time dyeing anything so I did a lot of experimenting. I did them on the stovetop with approx. 6 oz. water and 2 oz. vinegar. The yellow was 2 packs of lemonade, the orange was one pack of orange, coffee, and a squirt of red food coloring, the blue was all blue food coloring, the green was three packs of lemon-lime, and the black cherry was one pack of grape and two packs of black cherry for the first dye. It was a little too pinkish so I followed up with a second session of just purple food coloring and that's what you see in the pic--black cherry coloring with a blue-violet mottling over it. It looks really nice!

I soaked the silks in hot water while I prepared the dye in a pot, then wrung them out and used my hands to swirl them around the dye pot and soak up the liquid. When it started to get hot I switched to a spoon and kept mashing them around until the dye was gone. I simmered and stirred on and off (though there wasn't much water) for a long time (20 min or so?) then took the pot to the sink, drained the liquid, poured in a glug of vinegar and cold water, stuck my hand in the pot and scrunched the silk around for a minute. Dumped the pot and rinsed with cool water until it ran clear, which was only a few seconds each time. Handwashed with dish soap, and blow dried with my blow dryer. I tested them out and they are all colorfast!

My only disappointment was that our food store hardly had any kool-aid so there wasn't much to pick from I guess that stuff just isn't popular anymore, when I was a kid I remember getting to choose from racks and racks of purplesaures rex, blue raspberry, tropical punches, kiwi strawberry, blackberry, etc., etc. I was really looking forward to picking some neat flavors but all they had was Cherry, grape, lemon-lime, lemonade, orange and strawberry.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:19 PM

What type of silk did you buy? I'm looking at the dharma site right now and there are SO MANY to choose from.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyswenn View Post
What type of silk did you buy? I'm looking at the dharma site right now and there are SO MANY to choose from.
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...rves_silk.html

I bought five Habotai 8mm scarves--two 21.5" square and three 35" square.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:37 PM

Hee hee...I just bought some blanks through thai silks. Their shipping cost to Canada was way less than Dharma. Can't wait to get them and try the dyes/ koolaid. The pics of all of yours look lovely!! I think I'm going to make 1 blue, 1 green, 1 black cherry...hoping the store will have a stockpile for me to choose from once I get my hands on my mail!!

Susan
Old 03-28-2007, 03:08 PM

I'm ordering some to make for DS 1st birthday. Thanks to everyone for post pics and ideas!
Old 04-07-2007, 04:33 AM

Hi

I've scanned the thread looking for the instructions on dying playsilks using the wilton dye method... and i didn't see that they ever got posted? Would it be possible for someone to PM me the instructions too?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:09 AM

Hi we ended up making a light green silk to line the basket of colored eggs.
DD1 liked helping with the dying, so I am going to put a white silk and a package of kool-aid in her Easter egg.

For those still ordering, we have the squares and some of the long thin ones, like winter scarves. Those are also really nice, DD1 uses them to make a sling for her dolly, wraps around her head like a pirate, ties around her waist she pretends they are a river, road, sky etc.. I think it is fun to have different sizes/shapes.

love, love playsilks
kathryn
Old 04-10-2007, 10:56 PM

i just experimented with some kool ade dying for the first time.

it's SOOOOOO easy, and they come out great!

our local grocery store only had a few colors, so we only got to do purple (grape), orange (orange ), yellow (lemonade), red (pink lemonade), and a true deep red (cherry). a few are outside drying right now, and they look fantastic. i just need to get myself to another grocery store so that i can complete the rainbow with some blues and greens.

i highly recommend doing this, they come out awesome for a fraction of the cost of buying them already pre-colored.

i have also been experimenting with the setasilk paint as a dye, and i've made a few fun tie-dye playsilks that i've given away to 2 toddlers as their 1 year birthday gift. THEY LOVE THEM, and the parents were blown away that they were hand dyed. these make a wonderful gift, very different and very personalized.

next project? wilton dyes.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:30 PM

I just looked at the kool-aid my mom brought from the states, one of the packages is a clear, cherry flavor but no color

I guess some people actually drink this suff.

my Japanese SIL and nices were shocked that this was a drink, I gave them a few blanks and packages of kool-aid, they had fun and were amazed at how quickly the silk absorbed the color.
Kathryn
Old 04-12-2007, 08:08 PM

My friend and I just bought a bunch of silks and are trying to figure out the best way to do this. I have a few questions...

We have 3 yr olds who like to be hands on. We really want it to be a fun afternoon for everyone. I can keep them out of the hot water, but past that I'm more likely to let em at it. Is this too messy for two 3yr olds?

Does the stovetop method work better than the microwave? Microwave seems safer and quicker.

I have these soap making dyes http://www.soapwizards.com/tek9.asp?...cific=jnrngmi0 already that I want to try. Has anyone tried something similar? I assume it will work as long as I add vinegar.

We have talked about sacrificing one of our silks to use as a tester in the colors, but I have a yd of raw silk too that I'd be happier about cutting in to. Is it worth doing testers? I guess I'm more inclined to just go for it, but my friend is a little more cautious.

Thanks for all the lovely pictures!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleen95 View Post
My friend and I just bought a bunch of silks and are trying to figure out the best way to do this. I have a few questions...

We have 3 yr olds who like to be hands on. We really want it to be a fun afternoon for everyone. I can keep them out of the hot water, but past that I'm more likely to let em at it. Is this too messy for two 3yr olds?

Does the stovetop method work better than the microwave? Microwave seems safer and quicker.

I have these soap making dyes http://www.soapwizards.com/tek9.asp?...cific=jnrngmi0 already that I want to try. Has anyone tried something similar? I assume it will work as long as I add vinegar.

We have talked about sacrificing one of our silks to use as a tester in the colors, but I have a yd of raw silk too that I'd be happier about cutting in to. Is it worth doing testers? I guess I'm more inclined to just go for it, but my friend is a little more cautious.

Thanks for all the lovely pictures!
It's pretty much all done with hot water, steam, boiling water and vinager so I'm not sure what they could do. I'm ok with mess, but I was scalding myself the whole time.

I found that the stovetop gave me better results and wasn't as hard as I had imagined. Almost as easy as microwave with better results.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:33 PM

i did the microwave method and it was incredibly easy.

soak the blank in some hot water for a few minutes.
while it's soaking, make up the dye in a plastic cup. i just eyeballed it...one packet of dye to about 1 cup of water and a 'splash' of white vinegar.
wring out the water from the blank, and put in a ziploc baggie.
pour the koolade over the blank in the baggie and squish it around.
close the baggie almost all the way, leave a little vent hole.
place in pyrex dish with opening draped over the side of the dish.
microwave for 2 minutes.
squish the liquid and silk around and let rest for 2 minutes.
microwave for another 1-2 minutes. the water should be clear or almost clear at this point.
carefully transfer contents of baggie into a large bowl and let cool.
when cool, rinse with lukewarm water and a drop of dishwashing detergent.
wring and hang dry.

that's it. i made 6 silks each in a different color in about 30 minutes, that included my 'learning curve' for figuring out a good system. now that i know what to do i can bang them out in no time flat.

still haven't found blues or greens yet...

the microwave method does make the silks come out a bit mottled, but i like that effect. if you want a truly solid colored silk, the stovetop method would probably be a better choice.

hth!!

does anyone have experience with just putting the koolade powder directly onto the silk? i imagine that you can get some pretty cool effects that way. i might just have to try one out to test it. maybe soak the silk in a hot water/vinegar solution for a few minutes, then sprinkle? any input would be appreciated!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karre View Post
Hi

I've scanned the thread looking for the instructions on dying playsilks using the wilton dye method... and i didn't see that they ever got posted? Would it be possible for someone to PM me the instructions too?

Thanks!
They are in #53!
Old 04-27-2007, 04:15 PM

Thank you all so much! I was so inspired by all your amazing playsilks that I ordered some from Dharma (anyone else think of Lost when you read that?) and they came in 2 days! I made a koolaid playsilk this morning and just now made one that is a wonderful rich orange. I used coffee and curry powder. I'll try and post a photo because it came out really well.
Do you have to do something special to color set it after you boil the silk?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
FYI, I finally got around to trying these natural mineral dyes. They do not work for silk I followed the kool-ade dyeing directions, and the water never turned clear, the fiber did not absorb the dye, and it all rinsed out. My playsilk is a nice, very pale shade of blue, but not what I had in mind. Oh well.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah L. View Post
I used coffee and curry powder. I'll try and post a photo because it came out really well.
Do you have to do something special to color set it after you boil the silk?
I'm no expert, but no one else has answered you yet, so I thought I'd chime in. I believe you need acid to set it. The kool ade is slightly acidic already, but it wouldn't hurt to give them both an acid bath. I believe most people use vinegar, about 1 pt vinegar to 3 pts water. You may need to heat it up... Anyone else?

User Tag List