Playsilks - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2007, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank colleen95! I should be good then. I followed directions found on here and added vigegar to the pot then rinsed it with soap afterward. Now if only I can find a store that stocks more than 2 flavors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the info!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:46 PM

I didn't realize that everyone was waiting for Wilton icing colors/dyeing instructions! I don't have my original PM to Flor, but here is an expanded version of playsilk dyeing.

Microwave directions: Mix Koolaid and 2 cups water, add splash of vinegar. Less koolaid=lighter colors, more Koolaidr=more intense colors. Place play silk in freezer ziplock or glass bowl, pour koolaid over it. Microwave for 2 minutes, rearrange silk if you want, microwave for additional two minutes, let it cool a bit, rinse in cool water. Hang to dry or put in dryer with a towel, using the dryer means less wrinkles and softer silks.

Variations - use food colors instead of koolaid; soak silk in vinegar solution then squirt/paint colors on, then microwave. To use wilton icing colors, dissolve the paste first in a cup of warmish water. Some colors take longer to dissolve than others so check the bottom of the dye solution.

Advantages - fast for a few silks, neat designs. Easy for everyone to do their own thing. Disadvantages- slower for lots of silks, colors are uneven, silks can catch on fire if they dry out, bags can leak.

Stovetop - Bring pan of water to boil, I use a 6 quart dutch oven. Add two glugs of vinegar to pot. Mix Koolaid in 1 cup water, add to pan. Add silk, stirr occasionally until it is the color you want. Pull it out, let it drain a minute, rinse in cool water. I use a wire colander to drain over the pot, transfer the silk to the faucet, and then to rinse. Dry as above.

Variations- Same as above. Also dip dyeing, when you put just a part of the silk in the dye pot.

Advantages- Even dye coverage, easy to do several silks at once and remove them at different times for different shades. Best method for really dark, rich shades. Disadvantages- Takes longer to do a few silks as compared to microwave, not kid-friendly.

Hot tap water - Put koolaid powder in a ziplock bag, add silk, add hottest tap water. Mix around. Let sit for ~20 minutes. Open, dump and rinse.

Advantages - Super kid friendly, I've done groups of 25 kids this way. Disadvantages - You get what you get, you can't control the color or the design very well.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:02 AM

I've done Kool-aid microwave method lots, but they always end up a mottled pastel. I've also used Dylon from Joann's and I can get darker more vibrant colors but it's not the instant gratification of Kool Aid. It takes a couple of hours and a lot of stirring.

Use both methods I've done a two-tone silk by dip-dyeing and it turned out nicely, though harder to do with the Dylon.

Has anyone tried a rainbow with silks? Dc are really wanting a huge rainbow and I bought the silk but I was wondering if anyone had any BTDT advice before I take a practice run on a regular silk. I do not want a 'tied' effect.

TIA!
Old 05-05-2007, 02:32 AM

Subbing

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:51 AM

My DD is sensitive to food colorings/additives, so I'd like to use natural things for dyeing. Does anybody have good tips/instructions for using natural plants and spices for the dyes? I'm most interested in what things are most colorfast and what to use with the different materials (salt vs vinegar, etc) to make the color stick.

TIA!
Old 05-16-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
My DD is sensitive to food colorings/additives, so I'd like to use natural things for dyeing. Does anybody have good tips/instructions for using natural plants and spices for the dyes? I'm most interested in what things are most colorfast and what to use with the different materials (salt vs vinegar, etc) to make the color stick.

TIA!
Hereare some for sale; maybe they can give you an idea of what you can use

Another link

A great link with instructions on gathering and using natural materials, categorized by color of resulting dye

Zoe, mama to one "rough and tough" dude (8/02/06) and one new sweet pie (4/11/10)
Old 05-17-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaniee View Post
I've done Kool-aid microwave method lots, but they always end up a mottled pastel. I've also used Dylon from Joann's and I can get darker more vibrant colors but it's not the instant gratification of Kool Aid. It takes a couple of hours and a lot of stirring.

Use both methods I've done a two-tone silk by dip-dyeing and it turned out nicely, though harder to do with the Dylon.

Has anyone tried a rainbow with silks? Dc are really wanting a huge rainbow and I bought the silk but I was wondering if anyone had any BTDT advice before I take a practice run on a regular silk. I do not want a 'tied' effect.

TIA!
We did a rainbow silk by dip dyeing in our leftover Easter Egg dyebaths. It turned out nicely. We just let it soak for a little while in each color.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:00 PM

How do you dye silks in a rainbow of colours?

I was looking at Sarah's silks, and their rainbows are so neatly done, with no obvious overlap of colours. How do they do that?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:51 AM

I use rubber bands, just like I did in the 80's!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:39 PM

How would you dye a wool cover using kool aid?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsalf97 View Post
How would you dye a wool cover using kool aid?

Thanks!
I used the directions on the Llamajama site: http://www.llamajama.com/products/ar...php?article=10

I dyed an Aristocrats soaker and some Llamajama longies using these directions, and they both turned out gorgeously! Make sure to REALLY stir it up though if you want an even color- it is easy to get pale splotches where the color doesn't sit. This was a very easy and fun project. Your wool will smell like vinegar a bit, until you wash/lanolize.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:08 PM

could someone please post the exact instructions to dye silks w/ kool-aid?

i understand that soaking them in vinegar yeilds the best results, but do you rinse it out first?

how long do you boil the kool-aid and silk together?

and finally, do you rinse it out after boiling?

thanks!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeriotwins View Post
could someone please post the exact instructions to dye silks w/ kool-aid?

i understand that soaking them in vinegar yeilds the best results, but do you rinse it out first?

how long do you boil the kool-aid and silk together?

and finally, do you rinse it out after boiling?

thanks!!!
I don't use the kool-aid method and but from what I have gathered it isn't an exact science, you decide the # of packets based on the color you want to acheive. Red will probably require more packs to be a red, etc.

You dye with the vinegar in the silks, it is what helps the silk absorb the color. I don't boil my dye and silk togther, I just add the dye to the hot water and then add the silk. And, I rinse at least twice (cold water) after the dye/silks have cooled. HTH.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:00 AM

Has anyone found large playsilks? The largest I can find is 54x54 $8 at dharma. The rainbow one I have seen on playslands is twice as long (54x108). I suppose I could sew two together, but I'd prefer not to.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:55 PM

I did find them at Dharma, but it was in a different section.

Look under 'silk scarves,' then 'silk veils.' The largest is 45x108.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkylayne View Post
And, I rinse at least twice (cold water) after the dye/silks have cooled. HTH.
This may be what I am doing wrong! So you would add your hot liquid to the silk (or sounds like vice-versa) then just leave the silk in the dye until completely cooled? THEN rinse?

I wonder if I did that, then hung to dry...then rinsed, if it would be more colorfast or my patio just speckled?
Old 08-01-2007, 04:23 PM

Melaniee - thanks!!! Although they are currently sold out until the end of the month.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:50 PM

I tried dying silk using kool aid but the silk came out so stiff afterwards...even after I rinsed it. And, the color wouldn't stay on. I used vinegar but I guess I didn't use enough. I want to tackle it again but I'm so afraid to do it! I'm wondering if I should just buy fabric paint and water it down. LOL.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 08-12-2007, 01:00 AM

This thread has inspired me! I bought the blanks and koolaid and I followed the directions that called for 2 oz. vinegar with 6 oz. water and microwaved for 2 minutes. The colors are great, but they're not color fast. Can anyone help? I planed to use some of them for a gift for my niece's 1st birthday, but not if they'll turn everything pink when her mom washes them . Thanks in advance for all of your help!

B.
Mama to : July '06
Old 08-12-2007, 02:06 AM

what are the blankets made out of homefrontgirl? i think koolaid only will work well on protein fibers meaning silk and wool? if the blanket is synthetic or cotton it will not hold the color.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Old 08-12-2007, 02:22 PM

They're 100% silk. I got them from dharma.

B.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari_mom View Post
My experience has been diffferent. I do always add vinegar to the koolaid mix rather than just rely on the citric acid in the koolaid mix.

My favorite dyes are Wilton cake decorating colors. You MUST use vinegar with these, they have no other source of acid. But the colors are much more intense, so you aren't opening 6 packets of strawberry watermelon for a good rich red. The violet color is my favorite for purples, it ranges from a soft lilac to a rich royal blue that is perfect for a night sky. Wilton's also has some more subtle colors premixed, making it easy to get different shades.
where do you get these? are they powders or pre-mixed frosting?

this whole idea sounds great!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:30 PM

Wilton food dyes are little jars of gel/paste food coloring. You can find them with cake decorating supplies in most craft stores. HTH.

B.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:22 PM

Does anyone know how to dye those long 3x9 rainbow silks?

Mother to Malek 08/15/05 and Sephina 03/11/10 :
Old 08-29-2007, 11:48 AM

I've been trying to get info on how to die the rainbow silk with no luck. I was going to tie dye, but I don't want the huge white spaces. I'm nervous to just dip it, as it's really huge and will be awkward to work with. I tried to join a dyeing forum but haven't been given access. I need to this asap as DD's b-day is Friday and it's her gift! I will probably end up tying and having white spaces.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugsea View Post
I've been trying to get info on how to die the rainbow silk with no luck. I was going to tie dye, but I don't want the huge white spaces. I'm nervous to just dip it, as it's really huge and will be awkward to work with. I tried to join a dyeing forum but haven't been given access. I need to this asap as DD's b-day is Friday and it's her gift! I will probably end up tying and having white spaces.
Take this witha grain of salt, since I've been too chicken all summer to try it yet (I plan to with a playsilk first). I am going to dip-dye it. I just have to plan out the colors such that they will bleed into eachother to create another pleasing color. I expect it to take a while since I'll have to fold it just so and let it dry thoroughly between colors. Generally I'm not a deferred-gratification kind of gal but this is just too big to mess up by rushing.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:08 PM

Well I did the rainbow this morning. My friend has a lot of experience dying wool and pretty much did everything. We dip dyed, and now that I see it, that is probably how the rainbows were done. We didn't need to dry in between or anything (I was so surprised by that! The color did not make a mess because it was all absorbed). Because of the rainbow pattern, there won't be any browns so you don't have to worry about color overlap. I folded both and then dipped on the short side while the whole thing was folded. Result - uneven, ends are much darker, and two very pale areas where the deepest folds were. The smaller silk came out much more evenly. Now, my friend did hers (not pictured) by just bunching it up on the long end (rather than folding like I did, and in the opposite direction so her rainbow is short and wide), and hers came out much more even. I meant to accordion fold it, and I didn't, I just folded and folded and folded... So conclusion, I don't know! Not bad for $10 since I didn't buy dyes. If I had dyes I would probably re-dye it and try to get it more even.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/ladybugsea/silk.jpg
Old 09-10-2007, 02:37 AM

I love all the things y'all have posted! I use Dharma Trading's acid dyes, but the Wilton dye sounds really great; I'll have to pass that on.

Gotta show off - I made a night sky silk I was really proud of, using fabric paint. I wish I could think of what else to do with the paint though, I have jars of it sitting around... :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25995446@N00/?saved=1
Old 09-10-2007, 02:36 PM

Beautiful jobs on the rainbow silks and night sky silk, mamas! I've been wondering how to do a rainbow silk...I'm glad someone tried it out and had success.

OT: Isaberg, I love the little wooden animals you made that are on your Flickr set

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

User Tag List