Playsilks - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 211 Old 09-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elight23 View Post
Does anyone know how to dye those long 3x9 rainbow silks?
The best way to do your rainbow playsilk is to use squeeze bottles to apply the dye. You can probably get them at the craft store, grocery store and I have even seen them in the cookware section at Target.

I section off my color areas with rubber bands, prefering to use those little rubber bands used for kid's hair. I then apply the dye to the appropriate areas. I get the nozzle into the more scruched/tighter parts and gently squeeze the silk to get the color in there.

If you are using food grade dyes i.e. Kool-aid wrap the silk in saranwrap when you are done applying the dye and nuke it for 4 minutes at about 40 second intervals. Then rinse/wash as usual.

HTH
Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#122 of 211 Old 09-12-2007, 02:00 PM

Can anyone tell me what will dye cotton gauze? I ordered some from A Child's Dream and I'll probably have about 2 days before I need to use them for a childcare setting.

Will the food /icing colors work? Or only Rit?
#123 of 211 Old 09-12-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbithorns View Post
Can anyone tell me what will dye cotton gauze? I ordered some from A Child's Dream and I'll probably have about 2 days before I need to use them for a childcare setting.

Will the food /icing colors work? Or only Rit?
I have had pretty good luck dyeing the cotton gauze with Dylon. I haven't tried the food dyes with it.

I love the silk gauze from A Child's Dream It is such a beautiful and useful fabric. It has a lovely weight and drape to it, but still very sheer. Try it, you'll like it!-
http://www.achildsdream.com/handwork...ilk_fabric.htm
#124 of 211 Old 09-12-2007, 10:06 PM

I second E.V. Lowi's Dylon suggestion. Food grade dyes work as an acid dye wh/ are only useful on protien fibers(wool/silk) and nylon. Dylon Cold water dyes are a class of fiber reactive dye wh/ are the best to use on cellulose fibers like cotton. If you head to the craft store to get the Dylon make sure you get the cold water dye not the "all-purpose" dye. The all-purpose dye is basically the same class of dye as RIT and I always suggest you don't use RIT.

Kathy

#125 of 211 Old 10-08-2007, 03:55 PM

For those of you who have bought yards of silk, how did you finish it? Did you hem them or what? New to play silks but not to sewing. Thanks!

:
#126 of 211 Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 PM

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out why my colors are bleeding so badly. I'm using Wilton's on Dharma silks. I've tried every combination I can think of as far as hot water soaks, acid soaks, upping the vinegar concentration. The best result I got was using a ton of vinegar and cooking for a long time. The water became clear, and then ran clear. But still, when I used a small amount of dishsoap, the dye started running out.

A couple of weeks ago I made 4 silks for a gift, and just couldn't get the water to run clear. So clever me, I hung them on the clothesline to let the rain do the rinsing for me. Well, the pins left dark marks where the dye didn't rinse out, and the blue and green were too close together and left spots on each other. I ended up having to redo all of them.

Is there a trick to make the color more permanent? I'm afraid that someone is going to get one wet on a light carpet. I'd also love to make a rainbow silk, but I don't see the point in even trying. I know there's no way I'll get anything like color bands.
#127 of 211 Old 11-05-2007, 11:56 PM

It sounds like you're only handwashing to get the excess dye out? If so, you should try throwing them in the washing machine. Even when I get my (professional acid) dyes to exhaust, I still need to throw my silks in the wash in my load of darks to make sure they're not bleeding anymore. The spin-out cycle helps a lot too, by pulling that last liquid out. One cycle is usually sufficient, sometimes I need two. But if you handwash it seems like it's taking forever. Forget all you've heard about silk being delicate - the dharma ones do just fine in the wash, except for the gauze, which you have to stretch out to dry. But NEVER, EVER use bleach - that will rot the fibers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleen95 View Post
I was wondering if someone could help me figure out why my colors are bleeding so badly. I'm using Wilton's on Dharma silks. I've tried every combination I can think of as far as hot water soaks, acid soaks, upping the vinegar concentration. The best result I got was using a ton of vinegar and cooking for a long time. The water became clear, and then ran clear. But still, when I used a small amount of dishsoap, the dye started running out.

A couple of weeks ago I made 4 silks for a gift, and just couldn't get the water to run clear. So clever me, I hung them on the clothesline to let the rain do the rinsing for me. Well, the pins left dark marks where the dye didn't rinse out, and the blue and green were too close together and left spots on each other. I ended up having to redo all of them.

Is there a trick to make the color more permanent? I'm afraid that someone is going to get one wet on a light carpet. I'd also love to make a rainbow silk, but I don't see the point in even trying. I know there's no way I'll get anything like color bands.
#128 of 211 Old 11-06-2007, 12:09 AM

I can *never* get reds to stick. Dylon, kool-aid, whatever. I throw them into the washer and it all comes out until they're pink. Hot pink at best.
#129 of 211 Old 11-07-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaberg View Post
If so, you should try throwing them in the washing machine. Even when I get my (professional acid) dyes to exhaust, I still need to throw my silks in the wash in my load of darks to make sure they're not bleeding anymore.
Thank you for this. I'm going to try it. They won't bleed onto my clothes?

Anyone have any luck with rainbow silks? How on earth do you keep the colors in their own spot?
#130 of 211 Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
They won't bleed onto my clothes?
Not if the load is your _Darks_ (and I mean really darks like black, not jeans!) or your rags, which is what I do. Then again, I have a front-loader, and so I _can't_ run a load that is just a few silks - the machine won't work right without a heavier load. If you have a top-loader, you don't have to have anything else in with them, since you have more control.

Quote:
Anyone have any luck with rainbow silks? How on earth do you keep the colors in their own spot?
Once the dye has set, it's set, and while excess dye might slosh around in the wash, it won't stain the other parts of the scarf. Think tye-dyed t-shirts. There's a variety of techniques you can use. One way I do it is to fold the scarf just small enough to fill the bottom of the biggest pan I can find that still fits in the oven. I then soak the scarf in a water/vinegar solution (say 1 C vinegar to 1 Gal water) until it's completely saturated, and lay it out in the pan, making sure it's still really wet but not underwater. Then I pour the dye in stripes or patterns on the silk, squishing the scarf and moving the dye with my fingers so that the whole scarf has color, but so the dyes aren't bleeding into each other more than I want. Then I bake it for a while (I wish I could be more exact) at 275 or so until the dye has set. If the scarf seems to be drying out, I add vinegar water. Then into the washer for the spin cycle, to spin the dye-water out, then I wash it.
#131 of 211 Old 11-07-2007, 11:36 PM

...And ma2maya has two other great techniques a few posts back, too, that are a lot less vague than mine!
#132 of 211 Old 11-08-2007, 03:07 AM

We got a gorgeous rainbow silk by taking a blank and dipping it into our leftover egg dye at the spring equinox. I just scooted all six cups close together and stuck the scarf into all of them and let it sit overnight.
#133 of 211 Old 11-16-2007, 02:27 AM

well, i got my dharma silks and am excitied about getting them dyed up

i am wondering - can one do it in a crockpot? I know you can with wool yarn - so why not with silk right?

i have 6 35" square and 12 11" square silks, so i might use one of the 11" to test crockpot method. i would think a goo dlong heat set would help keep them from bleeding too much? And, i could add in dye as it exhausts if it needs more color... (reds and blues i'm thinking mostly)

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#134 of 211 Old 11-17-2007, 03:53 PM

i just finished making 2 this morning in my crockpot!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...picture403.jpg

#135 of 211 Old 11-19-2007, 07:25 PM

Where do I get koolaid? I'm in Canada. Is it non-toxic dye?
I wonder why playsilk. Can we use nylon scarves, receiving blankets and so on?
#136 of 211 Old 11-20-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 View Post
i just finished making 2 this morning in my crockpot!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...picture403.jpg
Those are beautiful - did the red stay color fast?

I have my Dharma silks coming soon (I hope)

Do you mind sharing your crockpot method?

Wife to DH Chris, Momma to :Caitlin Mae (4-28-07)
#137 of 211 Old 11-20-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubelle View Post
Those are beautiful - did the red stay color fast?

I have my Dharma silks coming soon (I hope)

Do you mind sharing your crockpot method?
yes it stayed color fast! the only thing i did with the red that i haven't done with other colors was put them in the dyer (HUGE MISTAKE, 1 shrunk by 2 inches in width and length, and 1 of the hems unraveld a bit).

If you do purple, use kool-aid only - wilton's have a funky uptake for blue vs red in the purple, and i had some sploching

here is my directions - i posted them in my blog:

http://kjoslyn78.blogspot.com/2007/1...-playsilk.html

#138 of 211 Old 11-20-2007, 04:20 PM

Do you have to wash the undyed playsilks in special soap/detergent before you dye them?

wife to treehugger.gif, mama to carrot.gif(7/06) and joy.gif(4/09), plusdog2.gif

#139 of 211 Old 11-20-2007, 05:28 PM

i didn't - i just washed the silks by their own with just regular soap and hung them to dry.

#140 of 211 Old 11-21-2007, 05:20 PM

i havn'et had a chance to read the whole thread...but where is the cheapest(including shipping ) for silk blanks?
#141 of 211 Old 11-21-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sora View Post

Koolaid contains food grade dye, so despite making little ones hyper with colorful lips it is non-toxic. Any koolaid beverage type mix will work. Also, Wiltons frosting dyes work too.

Food grade dyes classified as acid dyes which will dye protien(animal) fiber but won't work on cellulose(cotton etc) fibers.

Funnily though Nylon will dye with acid dyes. So you could conceivably use koolaid or the like. However, b/c it is a syntetic fiber you might get different color outcomes than you would with silk or wool.

Quote:
i havn'et had a chance to read the whole thread...but where is the cheapest(including shipping ) for silk blanks?
Dharma Trading and Thai silks are the best resources. Both are comparable price ways.

Kathy

#142 of 211 Old 11-23-2007, 01:46 PM

Thank you all for the info...I've considered playsilks because my daughter loves playing with blankets, scarves, etc., but the expense has been daunting. A dying project sometime next year when she's a bit older and can participate sounds like fun.

But looking at the Thai Silks and Dharma Trading pages, there are lots of materials listed under "silk". Which material works best for the best price? Here's Dharma's page: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3273-AA.shtml ...which category should I be looking under?

Thanks!

http://findinggaia.com - a novel about romance, shifting gender politics, and environmentalism

http://eat-the-evidence.com

http://kimberlychapman.com

#143 of 211 Old 11-23-2007, 05:22 PM

under Dharma, i got the Habotai Scarves for the normal/big sized ones... and for the 11" size ones, there were under silk accessories as lady hankerchiefs

#144 of 211 Old 11-28-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 View Post
under Dharma, i got the Habotai Scarves for the normal/big sized ones... and for the 11" size ones, there were under silk accessories as lady hankerchiefs
I just ordered some. You can only get the 11" ones by the dozen? : I don't know if we'll need that many! I can't wait to dye them!
#145 of 211 Old 11-28-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAprilMay View Post
I just ordered some. You can only get the 11" ones by the dozen? : I don't know if we'll need that many! I can't wait to dye them!
yeah - but it's under $6... and i used the 11" to test my dying on... since i would have some to spare

plus i think i'm going to give a few away as gifts too in that size

#146 of 211 Old 11-28-2007, 06:28 PM

yes, they make great gifts!!
Kathryn
#147 of 211 Old 11-29-2007, 09:40 PM

I've used the Dharma habotai in the 35x35" and the 22x22" sizes, and I like the bigger ones better. They're more versatile.
#148 of 211 Old 11-29-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sora View Post
Silk is soft, warm, natural, durable, and beautiful. I have other play cloths, but the silks are by far our favorites. They also take food dyes and natural dyes (which are readily available) more easily that synthetics or even cotton.
#149 of 211 Old 11-30-2007, 12:03 AM

Just ordered my first ever playsilks from dharma. I cannot WAIT to get started!! I'm a cake decorator, so I have tons of colors!! They're gonna be for 3 y/o dd for Christmas!
#150 of 211 Old 11-30-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallori View Post
Just ordered my first ever playsilks from dharma. I cannot WAIT to get started!! I'm a cake decorator, so I have tons of colors!! They're gonna be for 3 y/o dd for Christmas!
I'd love to see how some of the other colors come out!!!

i love the seasons silks in magic cabin esp... so i'm trying to figure ut how to match those colors

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page