Playsilks - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 211 Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if it's been asked already- but how many silks can you dye with the cake dyes? If you buy the set of 12 colors, does it just dye one silk per color?

Likewise for the kool aid- is it one silk per envelope of kool aid?

Thanks!

Retired Ohio midwife. Mama to my boy E, born 7/05
#182 of 211 Old 05-21-2008, 01:38 PM

Hi
I've never used cake dyes, but I image the answer is no, you should be able to dye several silks(size 35" square or smaller) with cake dyes. I assume you would dilute it.

When I used to dye silks with kool-aid with my daycare, I was able to make about 8 large silks with one kool-aid package, the dye bath gets lighter as it gets soaked into the silks. I guess the stronger you make the diluted solution, the less silks you can make.

I know some people soak the silks in vinegar first, others mix the dye with vinegar.

I soak my silks in vinegar first. I dilute my dyes in hot water, then add more water until I get the color I want. It's also fun to make a varigated silk this way, soaking a portion in strong solution, then another portion in a more diluted solution, continuing as much as you like.

hope I didn't confuse you ;-)
#183 of 211 Old 05-23-2008, 01:28 AM

I've been collecting silk scarves for a long time and I've bought all mine at thrift stores and garage sales. Some have prettier colors then others but they all are loved by my 2 year old.
#184 of 211 Old 07-25-2008, 05:12 PM

I just wanted to post some pics here because it is through reading this thread that I was able to make a rainbow canopy. Thanks, Ladies!!

I used 8 mm silk chiffon from Dharma. I roll hemmed the ends of the 4 yard piece then folded it up and dyed it with acid dyes. Delightful! Now, I am just awaiting the playstand plans so that I may have something to put it on.

http://picasaweb.google.com/crbyard/...46764319918514

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#185 of 211 Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 AM

I made some Kool-Aid dyed silk streamer wands last weekend and just posted a tutorial on my blog if anyone is interested!

Tutorial
#186 of 211 Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasquirrel View Post
I made some Kool-Aid dyed silk streamer wands last weekend and just posted a tutorial on my blog if anyone is interested!

Tutorial
Neat! Thank you! They're fabulous!
#187 of 211 Old 09-17-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbyard View Post
I just wanted to post some pics here because it is through reading this thread that I was able to make a rainbow canopy. Thanks, Ladies!!

I used 8 mm silk chiffon from Dharma. I roll hemmed the ends of the 4 yard piece then folded it up and dyed it with acid dyes. Delightful! Now, I am just awaiting the playstand plans so that I may have something to put it on.

This canopy looks great! I have read through the whole thread but I still can't quite figure out how you can get such neat stripes
Sorry, the following questions are probably a bit dumb :
- Did you fold the fabric lengthwise or widthwise?
- Did you separate the areas using rubberbands?
- How did you apply the colour, with an applicator or dipping?

Any tip would be greatly appreciated

Daniela
#188 of 211 Old 09-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Had to share and this seems the appropriate thread. A few months ago I did koolaid silks for DS. Another friend was interested, so I sent her one to try out with plans to make more together later this fall. Her husband got it in the mail and was excited and thought it looked like it might be a present. She let him open it. He did and had a wierd look on his face. "Am I just programmed so that when I see purple I smell grape?" Guess what flavor koolaid I used??!?! She resisted the temptation to mess with his mind and told him what I'd used to color the silks. Guess being in envelope for a few days concentrated the scent since you can't smell any of them now.

#189 of 211 Old 09-17-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:

: i'm in looooooooove with your rainbow silk

i too want to know how you did it - did you use rubberbands to seperate areas? did you use an applicator for putting the color on?

it looks really great!

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#190 of 211 Old 09-17-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Wow, that is exactly what I want to make, please do give more details as to how you were able to accomplish it! Thank you!!
#191 of 211 Old 11-12-2008, 03:55 AM

Thanks for the love on my rainbow canopy. Here are some instructions using Jacquard Acid Dyes;

For the rainbow playsilk, I rolled the silk up into a tube (the fabric was 3 ft. by 6 ft., so when I rolled it up the tube was three feet long, IYKWIM) and lay it flat on the table. I taped down plastic wrap over some newspaper and a waterproof table cloth to protect the table. I had mixed my dyes in several bowls and simply spooned them on in the rainbow pattern. Make sure to kind of squish the fabric so that the color seeps all the way to the middle. Not much muddling occurs when you are careful, surprisingly. Once the colors are applied, remove the tape (I used blue painter's tape) from the plastic wrap and wrap the length of the silk with the plastic. I then carefully transferred the wrapped silk snake to a plate in a spiral so that it would all fit in the microwave. I then microwaved it until the dyes were very hot (around 5 minutes). Let the silk and dyes cool and then rinse and hang dry. Voila! It is a really fun thing to dye. I was really addicted to rainbows for a while there

Christina, loving being a Mama to three and serving as a Co-Leader of the Holistic Moms Network, Tri-City Area, CA Chapter.

#192 of 211 Old 11-29-2008, 02:57 AM

Hi. After reading through this thread and reading the instructions here: http://www.make-baby-stuff.com/play-silks.html I tried dying some play silks today. It went great except for one thing. I followed the instructions pretty closely. I used three jars with three colors. I put water and vinegar and a play silk in each jar and heated it up to pretty hot, but not boiling (I had all three jars in a pot of water on the stove). I mixed the Wilton's dyes with vinegar and warm water. I used a couple globs of it, mixed it up as best I could and then strained out the large leftover chunks. I then poured this water/dye/vinegar mixture into my play silk/water/vinegar mixture in the jars. The dye went into the silk nicely and after about 5 minutes the water looked more clear (though it was still colored) and it seemed like no more dye was going to be taken up. When we took the silks out they looked almost tie dyed because of the tight fit inside the jar, which was what I was going for so I was pleased.

Then came the problem:

I rinsed them out in the kitchen sink with cool water until the water looked clear. I then brought them in the bathroom to hang and as I was figuring out a place to hang them I noticed they were dripping color. I rinsed them out again in the bathroom sink and it was like I had never rinsed them. The color was strong and seemed to be never ending. The instructions said to rinse for 2 -3 minutes until the water runs clear, but I rinsed these things for about 10 minutes each. Every time they seemed to run almost clear, I would get sick of trying and move on to another color. Then, when I would go back to the one I set aside, it was like I had never even rinsed it, it would run really dark again. This went on forever until I just got sick of it and hung them up to dry.

So the question:

What do I do now? They were supposed to run clear but didn't ever do that. Did the color never set? Or did I just not rinse long enough? Should I try rinsing again, or maybe soaking them in cold water? Should I try heating them up with vinegar again to get the dye to set better? Or is there any drawback to just going ahead and using them as is? Would the color rub off on stuff or something?
#193 of 211 Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 PM

Jennica, did you ever figure out an answer?

I dyed silks for my kids for Christmas 2007 and have been keeping them away from my 8 month old because they bleed when they get wet. I want to do something about that so she can play with them! I initially rinsed until the water ran clear, then washed and dried by machine.

The two possible solutions I have from this thread are ironing (not sure how hot/how long) and perhaps boiling in a water/vinegar solution. Someone mentioned hard water, which I've got, but I'm not sure how that factors into all of this. Maybe I should've used baking soda in my rinse water?

I've had the same problem with some Sharpie-dyed t-shirts my kids made. Those instructions say to set them in the dryer, but my dryer must not get hot enough or something.
#194 of 211 Old 01-24-2009, 01:22 PM

I am about to do this for a nindia (my daughter and friends imaginative land) themed sleepover. so I already ordered the silks, but now I will order more love the ideas!

one love

#195 of 211 Old 01-24-2009, 04:10 PM

I made a rainbow canopy in a different way. I bought three 14x72 silks from Dharma, dyed one blue, one purple and one green with Kool-Aid in the microwave. Then, I just sewed them together! It turned out great. Now I need to buy some more so I can make a second section that is Red-Orange-Yellow.

http://squirrelacorns.blogspot.com/2...ow-canopy.html
#196 of 211 Old 04-08-2009, 02:29 PM

I've been puttering with this for years, and my results have been mediocre. I just could not get an even coverage. But I finally did it!! I dyed a veil sized silk a nice, bright, even orange with a Paas dye tab and about 2/3 of a Wilton's orange icing-coloring jar. I'd been posting in Yarn Crafts about my similar problem with dyeing yarn, and got some great suggestions there about giving my item room in the pot, using enough dye, and keeping it hot for a while.

Now for my next question...the time for scooping up super cheap egg dyes is coming. I finally got around to trying dyes from last year last night, and I discovered that it is incredibly difficult to guess the color the dye tablet will give you. The first few that looked orange were actually green.

Is there a trick to this? I tried smudging a dampened tablet on paper, and that helped. And we were dyeing eggs today, so I grabbed some scrap yarn to plop in the dye. Now I have samples, but still, I have to tape the sample to a tablet to be able to match them later. You really cannot tell what color they're going to be. Or can you? Anyone know how many colors of Paas dye tabs there are?
#197 of 211 Old 04-08-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennica View Post
What do I do now? They were supposed to run clear but didn't ever do that. Did the color never set? Or did I just not rinse long enough? Should I try rinsing again, or maybe soaking them in cold water? Should I try heating them up with vinegar again to get the dye to set better? Or is there any drawback to just going ahead and using them as is? Would the color rub off on stuff or something?
I think you need more time and more vinegar. I'd try keeping them hot for at least 20 minutes.

You know, Sarah from Sarah's Silks is now an MDC member. I don't know if she'll read this thread, but she's the ultimate play silk resource. It wasn't until I purchased some of her beautiful silks, wands, and capes that I realized how beautiful they could be.
#198 of 211 Old 05-26-2009, 03:01 PM

Thanks Colleen for the nice compliments on our products!

As to why the playsilks are bleeding I am not sure. I usually dye them then soak them in water with vinegar to rinse. Could it be too much dye? I wonder what would happen if you rinsed them and soaked them until they don't bleed anymore. They would be paler but not run...on the other hand if it is Koolaid is it dangerous for the kids? But it may make a mess!
When I do dyeing projects with kids I find they love to wash them...maybe put a bucket of water outside and let them go at it!

Sarah
#199 of 211 Old 12-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Frustrated and hoping to find help...

I'm trying to dye silks. I've used both Wilton's and koolaid. I've tried on the stove and in the microwave. I'm using plenty of vinegar and presoaking. Nothing is coming out colorfast. I just recooked a yellow wilton's silk on the stove with mostly vinegar. Cooked it for an hour then soaked it in cold water and vinegar. Rinsed it and immediately it ran and ran and ran.

I would very much like to find a way to fix the scarves I've already dyed. I'm wondering if I should switch over to a tie dye kit to do the remaining scarves. I've never had problem with those not being colorfast. I've dyed yarn with koolaid and Wilton's before and I'm not sure if it was really colorfast but I'm giving these silks as a gift and I really want them to be colorfast.

In a bit of a Christmas panic and any suggestions would be appreciated.
#200 of 211 Old 12-12-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
Frustrated and hoping to find help...

I'm trying to dye silks. I've used both Wilton's and koolaid. I've tried on the stove and in the microwave. I'm using plenty of vinegar and presoaking. Nothing is coming out colorfast. I just recooked a yellow wilton's silk on the stove with mostly vinegar. Cooked it for an hour then soaked it in cold water and vinegar. Rinsed it and immediately it ran and ran and ran.

I would very much like to find a way to fix the scarves I've already dyed. I'm wondering if I should switch over to a tie dye kit to do the remaining scarves. I've never had problem with those not being colorfast. I've dyed yarn with koolaid and Wilton's before and I'm not sure if it was really colorfast but I'm giving these silks as a gift and I really want them to be colorfast.

In a bit of a Christmas panic and any suggestions would be appreciated.
I had the same problem until I read on the Dharma site or catalog (can't remember which one) that you have to let the dye dry and wait a couple of days *before* rinsing if you've dyed it in the dye pot. I wait at least 48 hours now and have found yellow to be much more colorfast. If I "dye paint" with Kool-Aid or Wilton's, then I let it dry and wait 48 hours. Steam it to fix it. Wait 48 hours. Then, I rinse. It has made all the difference.

Hope this helps!
#201 of 211 Old 12-12-2009, 12:54 PM

Thank you Beth. I will try it. I'm also wondering if ironing might help speed up that process.
#202 of 211 Old 12-12-2009, 01:24 PM

So glad to have found this thread! I saw 'peekaboo' silks for infants in the Nova catalogue I just got and they are so cute, but I would much rather try and make my own...

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#203 of 211 Old 12-26-2009, 08:47 PM

I made a picture tutorial on my blog for the silks I dyed for the holidays :
http://sewfunky.wordpress.com/2009/1...ons-icing-dye/
I'm happy with how they turned out. I also did one with coffee and it turned out a lovely golden colour.
#204 of 211 Old 07-21-2010, 12:49 AM

Can anyone tell me where to find cotton scarves for making playsilks? My son and I are vegan so silks are out! I know dharma has cotton ones but there have been complaints that the fabric isn't sheer enough.
#205 of 211 Old 07-21-2010, 09:27 AM

My first thought was old bed sheets cut up, or some gauzy material from a second-hand shop, but the more I thought about it, the more I couldn't grasp the idea. I don't want to come off poorly, and I completely respect your vegan lifestyle, but I'd be willing to bet that a lott of insects and rodents are harmed or killed during the farming of cotton crops. I'm just wondering if cotton is truly better.
#206 of 211 Old 07-21-2010, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliWWT View Post
Can anyone tell me where to find cotton scarves for making playsilks? My son and I are vegan so silks are out! I know dharma has cotton ones but there have been complaints that the fabric isn't sheer enough.
Dying them will be different, but have you looked at getting a length of cotton gauze from the fabric store and then just cutting hemming the edges? Even if you don't have a sewing machine it's pretty simple. And if you don't sew AT ALL...it would be a simple job for a friend/relative...trade a favor -- baking or babysitting or something. Linen might be another option. Fabric-store.com is a good place to look for sheer linen that's pretty inexpensive. And linen is STRONG even when it's gauzy. I've used this particular stuff for sewing and it is really nice. (It's stiff when you get it, but pre-wash it and all of the stiffener washes away, then it just gets softer and softer as time goes on.)
#207 of 211 Old 07-22-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail View Post
My first thought was old bed sheets cut up, or some gauzy material from a second-hand shop, but the more I thought about it, the more I couldn't grasp the idea. I don't want to come off poorly, and I completely respect your vegan lifestyle, but I'd be willing to bet that a lott of insects and rodents are harmed or killed during the farming of cotton crops. I'm just wondering if cotton is truly better.
No you're right, organic cotton or hemp would be better.
#208 of 211 Old 07-22-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post
Dying them will be different, but have you looked at getting a length of cotton gauze from the fabric store and then just cutting hemming the edges? Even if you don't have a sewing machine it's pretty simple. And if you don't sew AT ALL...it would be a simple job for a friend/relative...trade a favor -- baking or babysitting or something. Linen might be another option. Fabric-store.com is a good place to look for sheer linen that's pretty inexpensive. And linen is STRONG even when it's gauzy. I've used this particular stuff for sewing and it is really nice. (It's stiff when you get it, but pre-wash it and all of the stiffener washes away, then it just gets softer and softer as time goes on.)
Thanks for the reply, I found a pretty sheer cotton today at the fabric store so I'll wash it and see how it works. Unfortunately most gauzy materials are synthetic it seems. I'll check out fabricstore.com Thanks!
#209 of 211 Old 04-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Hi everybody!  I am new here and I found this forum while searching the net for play silks.  I promptly ordered some silks from Thai silks and dyed them with the kool-aid dyeing instructions from thepiper.com.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but my colors don't set.  I let the first one dry completely and then did a test to see if the color had set by dampening a corner and pressing it between two paper towels and the color bled A LOT!  I rinsed it for a second time and it seemed a little better, but I was just wondering....does it ever really permanently set?  I mean, the next time I wash it will even more color come out?  I dyed an orange, a red, and a purple using habotai silks...the orange was my favorite. It was gorgeous! Then I tried dyeing a larger silk chiffon scarf, but I can not get any color to set!  I first did orange and almost all the color rinsed out until it was a really light peach. So then I did it in red and the same thing happened.  The color never stops coming out while rinsing! It is a pinkish color now.  Despite all this I found that I love the whole process of dyeing silks and I plan to do more.  Does anyone have any pointers for me?

#210 of 211 Old 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM

Just read through this entire thread and dyed my first kool-aid silks!  Lots of great info here!  I have two questions for those of you with more experience...

1. My silks ran completely clear when I rinsed them with water... but when I tried to wash them with dish detergent, the color would bleed.  Does this mean the dye did not in fact set?  Do I NEED to wash them with dish detergent after?

2. Anybody know how to get those fine wrinkles out of the silk?  I've tried ironing on low when damp and hanging them in the shower to steam, but no luck.  Wrinkle-free would look nice for the ones I'm giving as gifts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page