Best size Waldorf doll for my almost 3yo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2006, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wise mamas...tell me, what size doll should I consider making for my DD for Yule (she will be 3yo shortly afterward - in January)? I'm waffling between 12/13" or 16" and using a kit either from Weir Dolls or Joy's Waldorf Dolls.

Alternatively, is there a different style doll that would be more appropriate for a child my DD's age?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2006, 10:13 PM

My dd really responded to a 16" Companion from Magic Cabin (HearthSong) a fully dressable Waldoft style doll with "hinged" type joints which make the doll floppy at the hips and shoulders, but the rest of the doll is wool stuffed very firm. This doll style is know as the standard or typical Waldorf doll. The legs and body are all one piece.(not button jointed) She was just five when she received this doll which she named "Sally" and she was able to dress this doll easily with clothes that had elastic waistbands and velcro closures, by herself. For every holiday, I would make a new outfit and purchase some small accessory that fit the scale of this size doll. Because of the popularity of American Girls, these have been easy to find. Sally still has a significant place in dd's room, even though she is getting a bit old for dolls, now. Sally was her constant companion when she was younger.

For a younger child, a style of doll with the clothes sewn in as part of the body, and a short cap might be more easily cared for and laundered. The long mohair wigs can be frustrating for the very young, as well.

I would recommend a kit from Weir, because I like the quality of the skintone interlock knit that she carries and she is really nice and helpful over the phone.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:46 PM

I made 16" companion babies for my kids for Yule last year. They weer 3 and 1. I made 12" little babies for them last month. The kids are now 2 and almost 4. The 12" is a much better size. While the 16" dolls are definitely played with, they are a bit awkward.

mandy

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
Old 09-28-2006, 03:27 AM

I have twin girls who just turned three and I made them both 16" friendship dolls, I now wish I had made them in the 12" range. My girls are tall but the scale and size of the 16" is still much to large for them, it's like 1/2 as tall as they are.

They do like to put on and off clothing so I did not stich anything down, but if your child isn't ready for that you can always make a traditonal doll with clothes and whip stitch it closed until they are ready, that way the doll can be cherished for many years and grow with the child.

My girls also like to play with the hair, so I do a crocheted cap but I put braids in it to keep is tidy, for their's I did a half up half down.

They do love them and play with them every day and are really quiet good to them considering I think they are a little on the young side to have this kind of doll. I think it has a lot to do with the way I treat their doll's and model how to take good care of them.

Best of luck and happy doll making.

Amy Prentice
dancingRainDolls.com
Old 09-28-2006, 09:34 AM

I haven't made one specifically for a 3 year old: but I made a 16" doll for my 4 year old dd which she loves and is the perfect size. I made a 13" doll for my 2.5 year old ds, which also seems perfect. I think anywhere from 12" to 16" is perfect.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Ah - you ladies are the best!

I think I'm going to go with a 12" doll and then maybe do 16" when DD is 4 or 5. And I don't need a kit : . I have Kinder Dolls and instructions from Weir Dolls, so I should be OK for directions. Plus I have a box of wool stuffing sitting around waiting for me to make something. So, I just need to buy a few supplies, and I think I'll get those from Weir Dolls.

One thing, though. I love one particular hair style from Joy's Waldorf Dolls - the wool/mohair shoulder length multi-styling (about half-way down the page): http://www.joyswaldorfdolls.com/doll..._love_doll.htm Has anyone ever seen directions for making hair in this style? All my wig directions for long hair have a pretty ordinary center part style.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

I just answered my own question : Looks like the multi-styling wig I admire so much is a Joy's Waldorf Dolls original - but I can buy the booklet
Old 09-28-2006, 01:54 PM

One way to get a "multi Style" type wig is to crochet a cap to fit the doll's head and then hook the individual strands to the wig cap. you can hook the strands to the thickness that you desire.
Joy's Multistyle wig is completely crocheted with the loops in place, not hooking of the individual strands. IMO, this kind of wig does not stand up well to play and goes balding quickly. Fortunately, it is easily to replace.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:14 PM

I use a G size crochet hook and crochet the entire cap useing a half double crocet stitch. This makes it a litte denser and stronger for longevity. It's also thick enough that you don't see the skin tone under it. I have found that when crocheting with mohair it is easiest to use a wooden crochet hook. I use one that is birch, but I have also seen them that are bamboo. For what ever reason it melt through the mohair, compared to the metal ones that I have tried.

If you need any help let me know and I'd be happy to send you a page from my pattern, it has a few pictures on it so I can't just post it here. Sorry

Amy Prentice
DancingRainDolls.com
Old 10-02-2006, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DD enjoys a 16" traditional type waldorf doll my mother made for her, but with the yarn hair sewn down, which is holding up well, it is permanently in braids, that way it doesn't get as dirty, tangly etc, or floppy into weird hairstyles, which works well for our busy family.

A must is easy clothing that comes on and off easily! The dress on my daughters doll doesn't undo all the way down the back so she neeeds some help, all the way down the back is a must!

Amy - love your website!
Old 10-02-2006, 12:47 PM

Where do you find patterns or kits to make your own dolls?

Thanks!
Lisa
Old 10-02-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

E.V. Lowi - Thanks for the cap advice! That *seems* easy enough (once I learn to crochet, that is )

Amy - thanks for the tips! I may be in touch

JenniferC - how old is your DD? I am drawn to the 16" size, but I don't want to overwhelm my daughter.

I like the kits here:
http://www.joyswaldorfdolls.com/doll...erns/index.htm
http://www.weirdollsandcrafts.com/wa...ll-making.html
Old 10-02-2006, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the links!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
She's 3.5 now, but has had the doll since she was around 3 or so.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 PM

My younger boys like to play with the dolls I make, but they always end up naked - I'd say for the 1-4 range, do a 12" or smaller with attached clothing of some sort. I usually do hats rather than hair, too - less to get messed up....or cut off by little boys learning to use scissors.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mamas,
I just made a 16 inch companion for my 2.5 yr old dd and my mom is willing to crochet the cap for her hair......BUT, my mom is a little unsure what to do. She knows how to crochet, but not where to start for the cap. Does anyone have a link to clear directions for a cap incl sizing etc. or does anyone want to explain it themselves? I would be so grateful. Also, what do you use to "hook" the individual strands through the cap? Thanks for any advice!!!! And happy dollmaking to everyone.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:54 AM

Hi Rado,
I use a size G crochet hook and chain on 4 stitches and than join to make a loop. From there I use a half double stitch to crochet around and around to fit the head, increasing as needed. It isn't anything fancy, but works great. To make a mutli styling wig sew the crochet cap onto the head and than take lengths of yarn that are about 12" long and do a half hitch knot, like rug hooking. Continue to do this all over the cap until you are happy with the look. I do this for both boy and girl dolls. If that is as clear as mud and you still need help I have pictures from my pattern that I'd be happy to share with you. Good luck

Amy Prentice
http://DancingRainDolls.com
Old 10-13-2006, 12:07 PM

Thanks Amy! That helps a ton. I will let you know if it isn't clear to my mom so I can ask for more info, but sounds pretty basic. I LOVE your dolls, by the way!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:05 PM

AMy,
turns out my mom thinks she needs pics.....any chance you could post something today? She's heading to a family reunion tomorrow where a pro-crocheter will help her with this...and she's taking my doll and her torso! Very nerve wracking, but hopefully she'll come home with a nice cap.
Thanks again for your help!!!! This might be too last minute....but, if you have time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingRainDolls View Post
Hi Rado,
I use a size G crochet hook and chain on 4 stitches and than join to make a loop. From there I use a half double stitch to crochet around and around to fit the head, increasing as needed. It isn't anything fancy, but works great. To make a mutli styling wig sew the crochet cap onto the head and than take lengths of yarn that are about 12" long and do a half hitch knot, like rug hooking. Continue to do this all over the cap until you are happy with the look. I do this for both boy and girl dolls. If that is as clear as mud and you still need help I have pictures from my pattern that I'd be happy to share with you. Good luck

Amy Prentice
http://DancingRainDolls.com

User Tag List