help with doll sling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-29-2006, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me first say that I do not sew (and do not own a sewing machine), but can use a needle and thread when necessary.... I do want to give my dd, who is three, a little doll sling when my baby is born, and so I am wondering what the most simple way I could make one would be. As I said, she is three and the doll it would need to fit is about 11-12 inches long.... can anyone help me out with how much cloth I would need (its dimensions), and what the minimal amount of sewing I would have to do would be? Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 09-30-2006, 08:33 PM

dharmatrading.com
Darma trading has co. has silk scarfs in a variety of sizes that are already hemmed up. They have a 8"x54" and a 11"x60 which you could attach 2 D rings on one side and thread the other side thru. The fun thing about working with a blank silk like this is you could probabley paint or dye it with your daughter.

Amy Prentice
http://www.dancingraindolls.com
#3 of 5 Old 10-02-2006, 05:52 PM

The easiest thing I can think of is just to tie a receiving blanket (folded in half diagonally) at your child's shoulder. Perfect fit for my 5 year old :-)

Alyssa

Alyssa
Mama to Scott (USAF), Katie (18), Karlie (16), Kimmy (9), Klara (4.5), and Baby Khloe (2.5)
#4 of 5 Old 10-30-2006, 03:00 PM

I just finished my son's halloween costume and was reminded of the ease of use of polar fleece fabrics. No need to hem or stich the edges as they don't fray. You could buy two rings, cut a piece of lighter weight polar fleece to the size you need and then just hand sew the one end to one of the rings. Then feed the other end through the other ring and you're in doll-slinging business.

Ok, so obviously I haven't tried this but it sounds good. Maybe I'll have to try one for my little guy. Lord knows I have plenty of extra polar fleece from his halloween costume. I have a habit of over estimating when I am at the store. :
#5 of 5 Old 11-01-2006, 02:07 PM

I just made one for my gal out of an old wool scarf.I bought little rings at the craft store and only had to sew the one end to the ring and it was done.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page