Nylon "fabric" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-07-2006, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone seen/used the nylon fabric used for some pull-on diaper covers? If you have seen it for sale, where? And does it go by a brand name? If you have used it, how has it worked for you? I really like the nylon pull-ons I use and wonder if it would work to make AIOs. I would also like to try to make some covers with it so I can adjust the rise on covers.

Jada
#2 of 14 Old 10-07-2006, 08:56 PM

ive wondered a couple times about this kind of thing. it seems like the huge fabric from joanns would be okay. the stuff for like plastic tablecloths, its a little fuzzy on the inside and waterproof.
anyone know??
#3 of 14 Old 10-08-2006, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking that would be vinyl - vinyl has never seemed to work well for me for covers, they crack and tear easily. I really like the nylon covers I use though.

Jada
#4 of 14 Old 10-08-2006, 05:00 AM

I know what you mean. I don't use vinyl anymore, either. I bought a dozen Indisposables nylon pull-up covers off ebay maybe 5 years ago, and they still work well, three kids later, even though they are discolored. These were bought from Canada.

I found some fabric for you through a search, though...http://www.sewbaby.com/diapers.html
#5 of 14 Old 10-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Banned

i made a couple of aio dipes for my babe with some thin vinyl (used for tablecloths)from wal mart $1.47 a yard,and it works just as good as her pul aio.it is kind of fuzzy on the underside of the vinyl,just sandwich it between the diaper shells.works great.
#6 of 14 Old 10-10-2006, 12:33 PM

I've found some waterproof nylon for sale on websites that sell hiking/camping fabrics. I think one was called seattle fabrics. Another I think was thruhiker.com. I've not tried any of these fabrics, but I think you could get swatches.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#7 of 14 Old 10-10-2006, 02:56 PM

found this 'ripstop' fab. the wee weka pattern refers to it for a waterproof layer. i havent seen it but i think its maybe like kite material. says waterproof.....tent repair and such.

have you ever woken up with your face against the wet inside of a tent?? or wet sleeping bad near the walls of the tent? i wonder if it wicks with pressure?

anyone ever tried this?? pretty inexpensive too
http://laceandfabric.com/ripstop.html
#8 of 14 Old 10-11-2006, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoffaith5 View Post
i made a couple of aio dipes for my babe with some thin vinyl (used for tablecloths)from wal mart $1.47 a yard,and it works just as good as her pul aio.it is kind of fuzzy on the underside of the vinyl,just sandwich it between the diaper shells.works great.

I'm surprised! I have used vinyl tablecloth fabric (to make tablecloths) and had problems with it tearing and separating from the fuzzy part. Maybe it was different stuff from what you used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyAndOtterMom View Post
found this 'ripstop' fab. the wee weka pattern refers to it for a waterproof layer. i havent seen it but i think its maybe like kite material. says waterproof.....tent repair and such.

have you ever woken up with your face against the wet inside of a tent?? or wet sleeping bad near the walls of the tent? i wonder if it wicks with pressure?

anyone ever tried this?? pretty inexpensive too
http://laceandfabric.com/ripstop.html
It was the Wee Weka website that made me think that maybe I could find some. Did they actually have a link to some that I missed??? My nylon covers are not the same texture as tent fabric, and don't seem to wick at all through the actual fabric. They do leak at the legs or waist if the child is very very soaked and/or the legs are gaping a bit. I think I will try other types of waterproof layers, too, but those nylon pull-ons just work so well for me.

Jada

p.s. I had wondered about the Indisposables covers but never tried them. Glad to hear that they work well!!
#9 of 14 Old 10-12-2006, 12:01 AM

I tried some nylon after reading about it on a site by Meghan Wyant
http://www.geocities.com/meghanwyant/
Meghan talks about it on her pattern for a cover, she says that she can't understand why more people don't use nylon because it's cheap ($1 at Wal-mart) it's breathable, you can dye it with food coloring like an Easter egg.

I made a cover out of a nylon windbreaker that I had with nylon on the inside and a cute cotton on the outside, my little guy isn't a very heavy wetter but I think it works pretty good.
I bought some of the $1 nylon at Wal-mart but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.
HTH,
Julie
#10 of 14 Old 10-12-2006, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodillysun View Post
I'm surprised! I have used vinyl tablecloth fabric (to make tablecloths) and had problems with it tearing and separating from the fuzzy part. Maybe it was different stuff from what you used.

It was the Wee Weka website that made me think that maybe I could find some. Did they actually have a link to some that I missed??? My nylon covers are not the same texture as tent fabric, and don't seem to wick at all through the actual fabric. They do leak at the legs or waist if the child is very very soaked and/or the legs are gaping a bit. I think I will try other types of waterproof layers, too, but those nylon pull-ons just work so well for me.

Jada

p.s. I had wondered about the Indisposables covers but never tried them. Glad to hear that they work well!!
didnt see a link to the ripstop fab, but i didnt really look. i googled ripstop and thats one of them i found.
#11 of 14 Old 10-12-2006, 05:57 AM

They also sell ripstop at Joanne's, at least they do here. At the store here, it's in the same area as the fabric that lap pads are made from (which, I've heard you can actually use that fabric for covers, too). Just ask someone though if they have waterproof fabric, and that's probably what they'll show you.
#12 of 14 Old 10-17-2006, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your suggestions, all! I have a lot to experiment with! :

Jada
#13 of 14 Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 PM

Why not just get PUL? It's not really that expensive as yardage goes...

If you do use nylon, I would recommend using coated nylon because it's much more water proof than regular rip stop nylon. It's really important to keep nylon covers out of the dryer too. The dryer will break them down faster and they will lose their water repellant qualities.

I used dermoflex for my first diapers because I wanted a Canadian source for fabric. I bought it from Wazoodle http://www.wazoodle.com/cgi-bin/cats...abrics;Barrier It works quite well though it's a woven so no stretch to it (the diapers won't be worn quite as long since they don't have that stretch) and it did compression wick a bit (thus meaning I had to make sure I had enough absorbancy in them) but they did work. I imagine the coated nylon they have would work fine too (you can probably find it locally too) Wazoodle has good PUL now though (only white but the other colours will be there very soon) so I'll just get the real stuff there. PUL makes really nice diapers. After I made my first one I swore I'd never use a 2nd string fabric again!
#14 of 14 Old 10-19-2006, 09:51 PM

I haven't made diapers but I have some experience with this fabric.

The ripstop and camping stuff works well but is meant to be rewaterproofed quite often. We would recoat our tent ( a super high end tent) every year and it saw far less moisture than your babies butt. It is lightweight but as it ages it can crinkle up. I doubt that would happen though as on your kids heiny it isn't getting the sundamage our camping stuff does. If you have good waterproofing techniques to recoat the stuff then it should work on the outside.

As afar as the table coth stuff. That is called oil cloth. It can crack if you put it in hot dryers often and I am afraid that after you put all that effort into sewing them plus the other materials you might cry if your diapers got hard and crackly on the inside.

I did notice that joannes has this camoflauge stuff that is just like pul only thicker. I think it would work but be a bit heavy and I am pretty sure it was around the same price as pul.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page