Where to find a cheaper felt board like this?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-08-2006, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im in LOVE with the pottery barn world felt wall map...but, there is no way I will pay that much for it!!

Anyone know a more economical place to get them?? Or, does anyone make them??

http://ww1.potterybarnkids.com/cat/p...%7Cda%7Crrooms
#2 of 7 Old 10-09-2006, 01:28 PM

Honestly, that is REALLY easy to do yourself. Just go buy the felt by the yard at the fabric store, make a template of the continent you want to cut out and then trace around it onto the felt with a disappearing pen and cut it out.
#3 of 7 Old 10-09-2006, 02:34 PM

The base of this Pottery Barn map uses Polyester Brushed Tricot, which is compatible as the loop side for the hook Velcro. That is why the "felt" accessory pieces use velcro on the back. Real felt boards do not use Velcro, the felt just sticks to the flannel board by itself, with friction.(or maybe with static electricity?)

If you use felt for the continents, or base of the map, velcro will not work on the felt, alone. You will need to use the loop velcro pieces on the base, wherever you want the accessory pieces with the hook velcro to stick. Hope that makes sense!

I do not know of a stateside source for the Velcro compatible Poly. Brushed Tricot. This is a fabric that is manufactured in Taiwan or Korea and shipped to China and used to make just about every toy and soft goods product imaginable. I don't know of another fabric that is Velcro hook fastener compatible.
#4 of 7 Old 10-10-2006, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!!! I think I understand...

Obviously, I'd want a scaled down version if Im doing it myself.

More ideas on HOW to do this myself?? Guess I need a "shoppping list.." and recom for good stores (online or IRL.)
#5 of 7 Old 10-12-2006, 02:18 PM

how about making the map itself out of different colors of felt - if you want/need to, just sew around the edges so the continents wont move. then, wrap the map around a piece of metal sheeting. Then find toys at the dollar store (or make some yourself if you're so inclined) and attach a magnet to the back. the magnet will stick to the sheeting and you wont have to worry at all with velcro.

fabric you could get at any fabric store really...
metal sheeting & magnets at a home improvement store (or even see about visiting your local habitat for humanity store for some nice inexpensive used items)

hth
#6 of 7 Old 10-12-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocyte View Post
Thanks!!!! I think I understand...

Obviously, I'd want a scaled down version if Im doing it myself.

More ideas on HOW to do this myself?? Guess I need a "shoppping list.." and recom for good stores (online or IRL.)

You can make the entire thing from felt. Maybe I wasn't clear. The back (oceans) is blue felt and the continents in whatever colors of felt you wanted.
#7 of 7 Old 10-12-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbloom View Post
how about making the map itself out of different colors of felt - if you want/need to, just sew around the edges so the continents wont move. then, wrap the map around a piece of metal sheeting. Then find toys at the dollar store (or make some yourself if you're so inclined) and attach a magnet to the back. the magnet will stick to the sheeting and you wont have to worry at all with velcro.

fabric you could get at any fabric store really...
metal sheeting & magnets at a home improvement store (or even see about visiting your local habitat for humanity store for some nice inexpensive used items)

hth
I love these ideas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page