teaching children to knit - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-14-2006, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What age is appropriate to teach a child to knit?

My dd is 3 and she wants to knit so badly. I can't even knit in front of her anymore. I have given her an old scarf I knitted and needles and she will stick the needles in and move them around..very cute But she knows she is not knitting! Smart girl! SHe throws fits like you would not believe screaming,"I want to knit" I do not feel she is old enough yet but I dunno? If she isn't ready yet how to I tell her?

Thanks

namaste
#2 of 7 Old 10-14-2006, 02:38 PM

I've been having the same problem with my daughter, she's 5. I've been teaching some children at my work to knit, and I've found that most 6-8 year olds still struggle a little with the manual dexterity needed, but some are pretty successful. I've had some decent luck with teaching a very simple cast-on to my daughter, she feels that she has learned the first step.
#3 of 7 Old 10-14-2006, 04:19 PM

My ds (3 in November) wants to knit as well, but I doubt I could teach him at this age. I just let him have an old ball of yarn and some dull needles. Then I cast on a few stitches for him and let him fiddle around and tangle the yarn. I make the cast on stitches really loose so that he can get the needle in. He happily sits there and knits away with me.
#4 of 7 Old 10-14-2006, 05:56 PM

i learned when i was 4. and it must have taken

ellie was 7 when i taught her. ollie was about 3 1/2 and he can actually knit a few stitches--he watched us very intently and likes to sit on my lap and knit a stitch or two for me, but he couldn't actually knit something.
#5 of 7 Old 10-14-2006, 07:30 PM

Have you considered getting her a loom. They are so easy and so fast. My DSs both use them. They are 5 and 7. The great thing about the loom for kids (and impatient adults like me, lol) is that you can work very quickly and actually see your project forming much faster than with needles.

AM
#6 of 7 Old 10-14-2006, 09:35 PM

I've been trying to teach my 4.5 year old how to spool knit. Has anyone tried this? It seemed like a good first step since she was begging me to teach her how to knit. However, I quickly found out that she wants the circular blanket for her doll finished RIGHT NOW and it's hard to keep her attention longer than a few minutes.
#7 of 7 Old 10-14-2006, 09:42 PM

I think 5-7 is what I've heard, but depends on the child. Dd went through the time of wanting to knit so bad at around 3. I was thinking of getting her a set of kid needles (teddy bear heads as ends) & some nice easy to use yarn for Christmas...she'll be a bit over 4.5.

I do like the loom idea...may have to check those out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page