My first pre-fitted! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-18-2006, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have three toddler prefolds that I bought used and they are pretty old and have those nasty lumps in the corners where the cotton sloughs off inside and collects in little balls. Bleh. So I decided that it had to be uncomfortable for DS (yes, they were that big and nasty), so I cut one up and pulled all the nasty, balled-up cotton and made it into a fitted! Well, it's more like a contour because it has no closures. I didn't want to waste any snaps or aplix and it fits a bigger size range with no closures. I don't have any thread for my serger so this is zig-zagged and kind of sloppy. I washed it once and had to cut a bunch of stray thread from it.

It technically fits him even when it's not folded down, but he likes his diapers to sit lower on his belly, so I folded it down for him.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shauna...e2.jpg&.src=ph

(please ignore the gross floor...I'm sewing and neglecting my house again )

Now I just have to get motivated to cut up and sew the other two.

And gosh, I think I need to put some kind of cute decoration on the back of them.

I think I need a 12-step program for my diaper-making problem (I have about 16 other diapers in the making right now). We don't need more diapers but I can't help myself!
#2 of 16 Old 10-18-2006, 07:28 AM

Cute diapers. What pattern did you use for the fitted and pocket diapers?
#3 of 16 Old 10-18-2006, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

I use all original patterns. I've thought about buying a pattern or two to see if I like it better than my own, but I'm just too cheap to shell out $10 for one when I have 4 or 5 of my own patterns sitting around that do the job just fine.

The pre-fitted I actually didn't even use a pattern. I just drew it out with a crayola washable marker and hoped for the best.
#4 of 16 Old 10-18-2006, 08:37 AM

Great job! I can totally understand the messy floor situation. When you are focusing on sewing, all things around you seem to diminish! However, I broke down and swept yesterday because I couldn't stand it anymore.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

#5 of 16 Old 10-18-2006, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well, most of the mess was *because* of me sewing. If you look closely, it's scraps of prefold littering the carpet. And I can't do anything about until tomorrow when I borrow my dad's vacuum because our's doesn't work well.
#6 of 16 Old 10-18-2006, 08:11 PM

Those are so cute. I should sew my pre-folds into pre-fitteds. I never use them anymore. Looks really comfy too!
#7 of 16 Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd love a pattern for this -- anyone know of a free pre-fitted pattern or some directions?

Mary
#8 of 16 Old 10-20-2006, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_mary View Post
I'd love a pattern for this -- anyone know of a free pre-fitted pattern or some directions?

Mary
If you go to the stickies at the top, there's links for patterns and instructions. I *think* diapersewing.com has pre-fitted instructions.
#9 of 16 Old 10-24-2006, 12:13 PM

I really like to use Fold Over Elastic to bind the edges of my prefitteds--it gives a nice finished edge, and puts in the elastic at the same time, so it's even quicker
The nice thing about using toddler prefolds, is you don't have to extend the wings like most tutorials call for.
I also like to cut off 4-5 inches from one end, and use that as a lay in doubler. (instead of having to fold down the front, kwim?) Boosts the absorbancy, and makes for a cleaner fitting look as well. I serge that strip, and put snaps on it to make it a snap in soaker, and I trifold it up into the wetzone for my ds, although you could leave it long for a girl.
Hope that helps!
Here's some photos for the visual mammas like me:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...t/DSC01786.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...t/DSC01787.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...t/DSC01784.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...t/DSC01783.jpg
#10 of 16 Old 10-24-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollernut View Post
I really like to use Fold Over Elastic to bind the edges of my prefitteds--it gives a nice finished edge, and puts in the elastic at the same time, so it's even quicker
The nice thing about using toddler prefolds, is you don't have to extend the wings like most tutorials call for.
I also like to cut off 4-5 inches from one end, and use that as a lay in doubler. (instead of having to fold down the front, kwim?) Boosts the absorbancy, and makes for a cleaner fitting look as well. I serge that strip, and put snaps on it to make it a snap in soaker, and I trifold it up into the wetzone for my ds, although you could leave it long for a girl.
Hope that helps!
Here's some photos for the visual mammas like me:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...t/DSC01786.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...t/DSC01787.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...t/DSC01784.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...t/DSC01783.jpg
Those look great!

I've got 2 doz. toddler indian prefolds sitting here. I should start turning some of them into prefitteds for DH. He doesn't like to fold prefolds that much..this would be helpful for him!

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#11 of 16 Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 PM

http://www.mama2mama.org/contours.html

heres a link to some that are similar. im looking for a better,link i have, that i actually made some of.
#12 of 16 Old 11-06-2006, 01:22 AM

Great job! You said this didn't have a closure. Can you tell me how you make it secure? Just by the cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandgeek View Post
I have three toddler prefolds that I bought used and they are pretty old and have those nasty lumps in the corners where the cotton sloughs off inside and collects in little balls. Bleh. So I decided that it had to be uncomfortable for DS (yes, they were that big and nasty), so I cut one up and pulled all the nasty, balled-up cotton and made it into a fitted! Well, it's more like a contour because it has no closures. I didn't want to waste any snaps or aplix and it fits a bigger size range with no closures. I don't have any thread for my serger so this is zig-zagged and kind of sloppy. I washed it once and had to cut a bunch of stray thread from it.

It technically fits him even when it's not folded down, but he likes his diapers to sit lower on his belly, so I folded it down for him.

(please ignore the gross floor...I'm sewing and neglecting my house again )

Now I just have to get motivated to cut up and sew the other two.

And gosh, I think I need to put some kind of cute decoration on the back of them.

I think I need a 12-step program for my diaper-making problem (I have about 16 other diapers in the making right now). We don't need more diapers but I can't help myself!

~ Have a Blessed Day!
DS 6/2002, DD 5/2006, DS Feb 2009
familybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgtoddler.gifecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
#13 of 16 Old 11-06-2006, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallyspeaking View Post
Great job! You said this didn't have a closure. Can you tell me how you make it secure? Just by the cover?
With pins. I know I'm often the odd one out now that the snappi has been invented, but I favor pins by a long-shot. I even use them to secure DS's night time covers so he can't rip them off at night and soak our bed!
#14 of 16 Old 11-06-2006, 02:02 PM

I love pins too, well, I use AIOs with Touch Tape now, but in choosing between a snappi and pins- pins win every time!
Quote:
I even use them to secure DS's night time covers so he can't rip them off at night and soak our bed!
Have you tried wool pants? Or maybe he would just slip out of them. We used wool pants & shorts on our heavy wetter at night. No more leaks. You could use wool pants with snaps or with a drawstring... just knot the ends good so he can't pull the string out and do who knows what with it. Two yr. olds are creative little people.

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
#15 of 16 Old 11-06-2006, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2bmom View Post
I love pins too, well, I use AIOs with Touch Tape now, but in choosing between a snappi and pins- pins win every time!
Have you tried wool pants? Or maybe he would just slip out of them. We used wool pants & shorts on our heavy wetter at night. No more leaks. You could use wool pants with snaps or with a drawstring... just knot the ends good so he can't pull the string out and do who knows what with it. Two yr. olds are creative little people.
The problem with my DS is he hates wearing clothes to bed. Sometimes I try to dress him, but he always wants to take it off. And he kicks the covers off too. And we don't keep it warm in here. I have to wear at least shorts and a t-shirt or I freeze I have wool soakers I could use and I do occassionally (like when I can't find any pins ). It's just easier to throw some pins on his diaper rather than struggling to pull up his almost-too-small shorties.

We actually just got soaked last night. : I put him in his mickey diaper with the snap down flap (it's in my album) thinking that he might not be concious enough to figure it out in the middle of the night (he can figure it out fine any other time) and sure enough, I dreamt I was drowning and woke up soaked in pee. I didn't even know he took it off. It was dark and I couldn't find it...he had shoved it up under my pillow.
#16 of 16 Old 11-07-2006, 12:04 AM

I got some adult incontinence pads from Tiny Tots diaper service in Northern CA (I just called them to order, I think they were about $19 each). They are 4' x 4', cotton on top and waterproof. Machine washable. These are the same pads they use in hospitals and nursing homes. You won't have to change your sheets - if he's on the pad when he wets... We still use them on the 6 yr.olds bed and whenever someone has the flu, I just put it under their head.

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page