witches hat pattern? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-24-2006, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK I would like to make a witch's hat (kid of harry potterish) for halloween. But, I can't seem to find anything online for a fabric hat. Everything seems to be paper. I have some nice fau leather that I think would make an *awesome* hat to go with the victorian corset and full length multi layer skirt. I have a wand and I can get a broom if the whim hits. But I want to have a nice hat to go with. I don't have the money to go and buy a HP witch's hat for $30+, when I have everything I could ever imagine needing to make the same thing right here.

I'm going to give it a couple more days of looking and then I'll try and free hand it but I would preffer to have a pattern since I've had to hand the worst of the work for Ds's wizard hat over to Dh since the number crunching is killing my head. (the instructions are almost completely written with two illistrations and math makes my poor dyslexic brain melt.)

TIA
#2 of 3 Old 10-26-2006, 05:46 PM

The key to a hat is an arc. Measure the circumference of your head and add a little for seam allowance. That's the bottom of the hat. Now figure out how tall you want it. Now take a piece of string that long. Hold the top end in place and mark with a pencil the width of the bottom. You should have a triangle with a rounded bottom. Now sew it into a cone and add a brim. Don't forget to take into account the thickness of your fabric. Good thick iron-on interfacing (2 layers at least) will make it stand-up nicely. Buckram (real hat material) can also be purchased - again, use 2 layers minimum.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#3 of 3 Old 10-28-2006, 04:49 PM

CONE: First make a trial hat out of some old material. Measure your head and cut 2 cones on the bias...half of head measurement plus 1" on each cone. Cut nice gentle curve on bottom of cones. Interface. Sew cones together lengthwise using 1/2" seams. Don't get cone too short.
BRIM: Using the bottom part of cone cut-out, cut brim piece on the bias. Cut enough brim pieces so that the inner side...side that will be sewn next to hat...is at least 2 1/2 to 3 times the circumference of your total cone bottom. Make brim 3-4 inches wide plus 1" for seam allowances. Interface these pieces and sew them together in a complete circle.
LINING: Cut lining EXACTLY as brim pieces on the bias. No need to interface. Sew them together in a circle. Sew lining to brim pieces right sides together leaving inside seam...seam next to hat open. Turn. Press. I then topstitched around to keep lining in place. Baste open side together.
FINISHING: Gather lined brim on the inside curve to fit cone bottom. Sew brim to hat right sides together. Tie an orange or purple scarf or ribbon around hat and VIOLA! I did this for my hat, and it turned out really cute...even my daughter said so. Jennifer

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page