Panta! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 189 Old 11-06-2006, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma View Post
I have enough of that same yarn to make one on 10 1/2 needles!! Thanks for the idea!
Awesome! I wanna see pics when you're done!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 189 Old 11-06-2006, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
Oh! its beautiful!!! i love it!!
and your "brainwash bag" is georgeous..
do you have felted pics? id love to see!

did you use a pattern for it?
thanks : no felted pics yet. I'm going to run it through once more. It's my first "real" knitted/felting work. The colors were so much more vibrant before I felted the first time. I want there to be no stitch definition. does it ever completely go away?

Have to wait until the next blue jean load to put it through.

The pattern (which I modified a bit by adding a thicker handle) is here
#123 of 189 Old 11-06-2006, 07:34 PM

thanks for the link..

il add it to the other 4000 patterns i have bookmarked and am wanting to knit

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#124 of 189 Old 11-07-2006, 03:55 AM

OK....I am having trouble with the whole increas thingy...
each time I frog this damn thing and redo it with what I think is the correct increase....it looks horrible...

I have used both patterns and I am running into the same problem...
So, I know it is me and my inability to increase correctly.
#125 of 189 Old 11-07-2006, 03:58 AM

i dont know if i did it right or not, but when i increased, i just added a loop like i do when i first cast on. it seems to look ok.
#126 of 189 Old 11-07-2006, 11:53 AM

Increases:

I'm a newbie knitter and I did purl front back (scroll to the middle of the page, under Bar Increase, the text is in italic) on the last purl of the K2 P* part. I figured if I screwed up it wouldn't show as much since it's really close to the ribbed part.

You have to have faith because it feels like something is missing when you knit the wrong side. Only after you knit on the right side again does it feel right(so the third time you knit the stitch).
#127 of 189 Old 11-07-2006, 12:34 PM

I knit one up back in August. I did not think to slip the stitch, I will do that when I knit up my next one. This is knit out of baby alpaca.

Willemsmama~Where did you get the robin hood sweater pattern!? I LOVE those...great work!

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#128 of 189 Old 11-08-2006, 01:47 AM

Whoo hoooo!

I finally cast on for my first panta this evening. The increases are easy, but everyone who said they're wierd and potentially confusing - NO KIDDING! The assymetry has messed me up a few time. I've had to pick out several rows, and frogged 4 after I turned my work around and was knitting w side on r side. But, I'm almost to the midpoint and once I get there I'm going to stop for the night and do something brainless for a few minutes - like sleep! : It looks awesome though, and I am pleased with how the yarn is working up - it's getting happier the more I play with it (reworking the same row three times can really soften it up...) and I can't wait to have finished pics!!!
#129 of 189 Old 11-08-2006, 03:45 PM

OK, you got me. I haven't knitted a thing in about four years; I used to spin, dye, weave, knit, crochet, you name it. I hardly ever finished a thing, but I'm trying to quit smoking before TTC so knitting sounded good, and this is too cute and easy to not do.

I just c/o with sz9 needles and Lion Brand Homespun, because they were the first two things I found in the long, long neglected stash. I have a feeling this is going to be too wide and I'll have to start over, but what the heck!
#130 of 189 Old 11-08-2006, 04:56 PM

It's 80* out here today. How depressing, after finding this great pattern. I am thinking about making one in cotton for my upcoming birth. Has anyone tried it in cotton?

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#131 of 189 Old 11-08-2006, 11:52 PM

The drops pattern is NOT symmetrical from the first half to the second half. It's symmetrical left to right.

So, for the first part of the pattern you work it for 8 cm (and you increase and it gets wider) then you decrease and it's gets narrow again. Problem is that the decreases don't follow the increases. So you'd think you'd end with 8 cm again at the bottom- narrow like the first half. For whatever reason it isn't written that way. I take it to be a mistake. I just adjusted the pattern to make it symmetrical - first half and second half.

BUT - How do I get it off the needles? I'm all done, but I don't know what to do. I used a regular, not provisional cast-on.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#132 of 189 Old 11-09-2006, 12:33 AM

i just followed the pattern as is. i thought about adjusting the pattern to make it symetrical but decided against it and it came out fine. when i ended, i just cast off (pattern says not to do that but i dont know how to do the joining they recommend). after i cast off, i joined the 2 bound off edges. i have long hair though,so i really dont care how it looked really.

im on to my 2nd one right now. this is very therapeutic! so cool, too, considering the blanket im working on has already taken over 20 hours and 3 skeins of yarn!
#133 of 189 Old 11-09-2006, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
The drops pattern is NOT symmetrical from the first half to the second half. It's symmetrical left to right.

So, for the first part of the pattern you work it for 8 cm (and you increase and it gets wider) then you decrease and it's gets narrow again. Problem is that the decreases don't follow the increases. So you'd think you'd end with 8 cm again at the bottom- narrow like the first half. For whatever reason it isn't written that way. I take it to be a mistake. I just adjusted the pattern to make it symmetrical - first half and second half.

BUT - How do I get it off the needles? I'm all done, but I don't know what to do. I used a regular, not provisional cast-on.
I was just coming on to ask this very question! I just finished mine, it's about 2 cm longer than it's supposed to be but I was thrown by what you mention about the asymmetry from one half to the next. I did follow the pattern, but my next one I'll do differently.

And again the big question, which knittinghelp.com can't solve for me - HOW DO I BIND THIS THING OFF??
#134 of 189 Old 11-09-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila View Post
It's 80* out here today. How depressing, after finding this great pattern. I am thinking about making one in cotton for my upcoming birth. Has anyone tried it in cotton?
Yah, I'm in SC and it's not really wool wearing weather either! Let us know how the cotton one turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
I just adjusted the pattern to make it symmetrical - first half and second half.
How did you do that? : I have to write this down on my pattern or I'll mess it up for sure.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#135 of 189 Old 11-10-2006, 02:37 PM

I vowed not to start another project because I am getting overwhelmed by deadlines. But I couldn't stop myself last night. Half way done with a hot pink Panta. I suspect I will be making more and I know I will be rewriting, tweaking the pattern. I see a mock cable or the like in the future.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#136 of 189 Old 11-10-2006, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo73 View Post
I vowed not to start another project because I am getting overwhelmed by deadlines. But I couldn't stop myself last night. Half way done with a hot pink Panta. I suspect I will be making more and I know I will be rewriting, tweaking the pattern. I see a mock cable or the like in the future.

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#137 of 189 Old 11-11-2006, 07:18 AM

I just started my Panta tonight. I'm about 1/3rd done. Aimee - Mine's hot pink too!
#138 of 189 Old 11-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Dar

I started with 19 stitches - k1, p2,(k 1, p 2)x 5, then k1. The next row is just reversed - p1, k2, (p1 k2) x5, then p1. I did that for 2 inches, then in a row that starts with k1, I increased by knitting into the front and back of the last (in this case, the only) knit stitch of each of the repeats, for a total of 24 stitches. The sequence is now k1, p2, (k2 p2)x5, k1. Again, the next row is just reversed, so it stays in pattern.

I did that for two inches, then again increased by knitting into the front and back of the last knit stitch in each of the repeats, so the repeats are now k3, p2). Again, two inches of that, then increase in the same way, until the repeats are k5 p2. The k 5 p2 section will be somewhere between 2 and 4 inches, depending on how stretchy your yarn is and how big your head is. It's the center section. For Rain's big head, it was 4 inches, but my head is an inch and a half smaller than hers around, so mine would be less.

After that, work in reverse. On a row starting with k1, you'll knit two together (k2tog) when you come to the last two knit stitches for each of the repeats. Two inches of that... then another decrease... etc.

I did the provisional cast-on (I like to do it on a little crochet chain) and then kitchenered (not in ribbing; it looked fine). You could just do a basic cast off and sew the two ends together, though - I just hate sewing stuff. It's under your hair so it really won't show. You turn it inside out to wear it... then you don't see the increases.

There's a photo of the panta I made for Rain in my blog, but it's not a very close-up photo...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#139 of 189 Old 11-13-2006, 06:05 AM

I finished my panta tonight! I love it! It's only my second knitting project and I only had one big mistake.. a dropped stitch that I didn't notice until I had been wearing it for awhile and it started uraveling. I almost cried, thinking that I was going to have to frog it down to the halfway point but I managed to pick up the stitch and work it up to the point where it was supposed to decrease and then I just used a small bit of yarn to tie it down with a knot that you can only see on the wrong side.. so nobody will know but me.. *phew*
I used Puck's Mischief from Blue Moon Fiber.. medium weight with size 10 needles so it's rather loose which makes it cool enough to wear indoors. I'm really happy with it so I thought I'd emerge from lurking on this forum to share.. Here's a picture-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/harpyr/296215125/

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#140 of 189 Old 11-13-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpyr View Post
wow, it's gorgeous! What a great job and the yarn is lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
There's a photo of the panta I made for Rain in my blog, but it's not a very close-up photo...

dar
I love it and your R looks great in it. Thanks for those detailed directions, too! :

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#141 of 189 Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 AM

oooh, I love those colors. Looks great harpyr! I'd almost finished a hat for ds and found a dropped stitch so I'm ripping out a section so I can fix it. I hate frogging.
#142 of 189 Old 11-13-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpyr View Post
I'm really happy with it so I thought I'd emerge from lurking on this forum to share.. Here's a picture-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/harpyr/296215125/
You oughta be! It's hot.

I still haven't cast on for a panta yet, but I am still meaning to. One of these days! I have the ball of yarn I want to use sitting on my piano, so that's a good start, eh?
#143 of 189 Old 11-13-2006, 01:44 PM

Your panta is beautiful, harpyr. The colors are great!
#144 of 189 Old 11-13-2006, 03:56 PM

harpyr : its stunning! i love how the colours worked out and you look beautiful modeling it!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#145 of 189 Old 11-13-2006, 04:21 PM

I agree. Harpyr, your Panta is beautiful! I love the yarn you used.
#146 of 189 Old 11-13-2006, 05:05 PM

Great colors! I love how this is such a simple pattern, but every single one we make is different and they all look so cool!
#147 of 189 Old 11-13-2006, 05:45 PM

This morning I cast on my first Panta!!!! I only had time to cast on and do two rows before I had to leave for work...
#148 of 189 Old 11-13-2006, 06:17 PM

Thanks, everybody!

~Stephanie )O(

DS- 07/01 & DD- 09/05 & DD- 12/07 & DS- 10/13

#149 of 189 Old 11-13-2006, 09:02 PM

harpyr that is lovely!
i'm planning on starting one on my plane ride this next week!

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#150 of 189 Old 11-13-2006, 09:03 PM

that is so beautiful! i love everyone's pantas! i just finished my 2nd one for a friend of mine. her pix is in my knitting blog (below). i know what i have to do now to knit for kids though...so im going to do another one for her sister, after i finish the one im doing for my friend.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page