question about crochet gauge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, y'all are gonna get so sick of me, but there is no one IRL that can help me with learning to knit/crochet.

Making a project for dc1 now. Not the first crochet I've done, but the first time I've had to check my gauge.

It calls for a 5.5 mm hook. This is what it says:
"GAUGE: 10 sts = 3"; 14 rows = 4" in sc"

I chained 10, then proceeded to work 10 rows sc (you don't count the initial chain, do you?) At that point I was growing suspicious, so I measured. My initial chain side was just UNDER 3" and my 10 rows were already nearly 5." What to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2006, 09:57 PM

I don't know if crochet guage requires similar treatment as knit guage, but when you're swatching to get your gauge (doing that fun square that you'll unravel after you've measured and are ready to start the work), on knitting you should do a few rows of garter stitch, and do about 20-25 stitches and the same number of rows. it's much easier to count from inside that nice flat square, and will be far more accurate than trying to do the exact number of stitches. I would assume crochet would be similar - so pretend you're making a small dishcloth. It's a pita, and I HATE to swatch, but if you don't do it properly you won't really know if your guage is right.

And, if you find you're off in either direction, try going up or down a half or full needle size to accomodate the difference.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:35 AM

Did you count the number of stitches in the first and last row to make sure you weren't adding one on the end as you were going? Other than that, it's a tension issue and BDavis337 is right about making a bigger swatch. Then, count some of the last rows instead of the first few.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

I hate gauge : It's almost enough to make me give my sewing machine another go.

I ended up going down to a G hook after doing several more test swatches. We'll see how it ends up.

I should work up a bigger piece and count the stitches in it, huh? Here's a sad thing: I can't count stitches. I have no idea what one stitch looks like. Off the needles/hook, it looks like yarn. On the needles/hook, it looks like a finished piece- which bump or loop or dip counts as a stitch? I don't know. Am I making any sense? I have never had anyone IRL explain this yarn craft thing to me. It's pretty pathetic, I know.

So thank you, accomplished yarn crafters, for helping me, as hopeless as I am!
Old 10-31-2006, 02:15 AM

Yep, work a larger piece and count within whatever you use for edging. I might add that I don't crochet, so I don't know how a crochet stitch looks, but a knit stockinette stitch looks like the letter V, and a purl stitch looks like a bump. Perhaps there is an online crochet site that could help you out??
Old 10-31-2006, 04:16 PM

For your swatch I have always heard and read that you should do a far bigger sample. For your gauge example, I would chain 21 (you have to chain one more than you are planning to stitch, the last one is your turning chain), then do 20 stitches across and 20 rows or whatever to get a square.

To measure for your gauge you don't measure from any end, you hold up a measuring tape against the swatch and measure along the top edge but in the middle of the top row. Does that make sense?

To count stitches you look at the top of the piece. There should be a bunch of v-shapes all sort of nested inside each other. Each v is a stitch.

I crochet really tightly apparently, and didn't realize it. I use an I hook and get the gauge that you're supposed to get with a G hook. I have learned to stitch way more loosely but that's as loosely as I can do it lol- so if I ever want to use a pattern and do something to a specific size I'll have to use bigger hooks I guess... so far I've only made things that aren't that critical.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:30 AM

I always work the whole gauge swatch because when you just measure the first row it tends to measure smaller than it does when you work more rows, at least for me. I would go up a hook size until you get the gauge you want. You could also switch to a bulkier yarn- that works for me as well. I crochet really tight as well, so I usually go up a hook size.

When you need 10 single crochets, you don't count the loop you start with, but you also need to chain 11, because the extra one is the turning chain.

I hate gauge also.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

I figured out why my guage was so off-- I'm an idiot.

See this post:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...21#post6433421
Old 11-02-2006, 11:27 PM

Nope, not an idiot. I could tell you tales of the dumb things I have done learning to crochet.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for helping me out!~

User Tag List