Wool questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2006, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting ready to stuff a rag doll I made for dd. I want to use wool (I think?) because I really don't want to use the synthetic stuff.

CAn I buy the flat batting and pull it apart and stuff it?

Do I clean it first?

Does this look like a good deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 07:29 PM

I think that seems a bit high. Am I correct to figure that it will work out to about 23.00/lb plus shipping? You can buy it retail for a lot less and you can order it by the pound from West Earl Woolen Mill for a whole lot less. Their number is 7i7-859-2241 and the last time I checked, it was 5.25 a pound. You can purchase it in 2, 2.5 and 3 lb. batts. I bought 50 lbs., last time and so it has been awhile. Check with them for the details.

If you are not using the typical Waldorf method of rolling the wool strips into balls and rods, and are just planning to stuff it into the doll, you can pull the batting apart in small pieces and fluff it up. Then stuff this fluffed up wool fiber into the doll using a hemostat or a chopstick to push it into place. You have to use some care as the wool tend to get lumpy if you try to rush and stuff it in big chunks. Just fluff up smaller egg size portions and stuff evenly. You can pack this pretty hard if you wish or leave it softer and more floppy.

The reason I love wool stuffing, besides the warmth that it gives back, is that it is "self-extinguishing". The flame goes out once the wool is removed from the fire source, making it naturally fire retardant. It is so much safer for children's toys than polyester or cotton stuffing. It is also mold and mite resistant. If moths are a problem, just place the item in the freezer for 48 hours and this does the trick without harmful chemicals. Best of luck to you and Happy Dolling!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all that helpful information! I'm going to order from the co. you suggested.

Another question if I may: I have no idea how much I'll need. Will 5 lbs. be enogh to stuff this doll? (she'll be app. 18" tall)
Old 10-29-2006, 08:22 PM

I think 3lbs. of stuffing is a King size quilt filler, so that is quite a bit of stuffing. Most companies selling the 1lb wool batts indicate that it will make about two average 16" Waldorf dolls, which are rolled pretty tightly. I am pretty sure that 1lb should be plenty for your doll but I think 2lbs. is the minumum order for West Earl, although I may be wrong about that. Amy Prentiss at www.dancingraindolls.com sells 1/2lbs at the retail price, if you only want a small amount.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

: Thanks!

I'm actually so into this project that I already have plans for another rag doll for dd1 so I'll go ahead and get a bunch.

User Tag List