anyone ever made playmats for a baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-30-2006, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to try to make a playmat for my DS2. Something like this: http://www.oompa.com/cgi-bin/item/HA1000
but I'd like to have some step by step guide since i've never done quilt or anything like that.
Do you know a link for anything like that?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

TIA!
#2 of 4 Old 10-30-2006, 11:56 PM

That is absolutely adorable! I don't have any tips on how to make it; I just fly by the seat of my pants and most of the time it works, LOL. I'm going to follow this thread though - I'd love to make something like that for my newest DD. What a great Christmas gift that would be!
#3 of 4 Old 11-04-2006, 02:32 AM

Yep - should be really easy. I don't have a pattern source, but it would really be a great first quilting project. What about it in particular are you wondering about its construction? With everyone here, we ought to be able to talk you through it.

Here's a start:

Pick out the fabric - they have white, three blue patterns and a solid light blue and solid dark, two red patterns and a solid, orange, yellow solid & pattern, and two green patterns. You wouldn't need that many, necessarily. You could probably get away with a a quarter-yard of the main colors, and a few scraps from friends or other folks here for most of the others. You'd need a medium-weight polyester batting too. Cut seven big 9" squares for the main patches. For the triangle patches, cut out two 10" squares from different patterns, then slice them in half to make triangles. Mix & sew together to make squares, then trim to the size of the other squares you already cut. To do the top of the house, take one of the seven patches you made first, cut a triangle slightly larger than what you need for the peak, then take the top edges, fold them under, iron the folds well, and sew it to the square (this is applique).

Make the doors (two rectangles each, put right sides together and sewn on three sides, then turned inside out and ironed) and the pockets, and sew them on to the relevant squares.

Lay out all nine squares, make sure they're the same size, sew them into strips of three, and then those strips into the nine-patch background, being sure to catch the edges of the pockets & doors in your seams.

How does that sound so far? Too complicated? It really oughtn't to be.
#4 of 4 Old 11-09-2006, 01:43 PM

I am also thinking about making a play mat: I wold like the one I am making to be able to 'convert' once he is done, to a piece of art to hang on the wall.
So I am using the 'tags' idea all the way around, and I will hang it from the tags one one end.
I am planning to use really textured different fabrics, using flat cotton unbleached batton to make it somewhat cooshy to use as a tummy time mat, and selecting my colors and patterns rrealy exclusively so that as an adult he will appreciate the 'art' behind it as well!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page