my quilt - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-20-2003, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the piecing is DONE!!! i cant believe when i look at it (it's taken over a year to do) that my skills have changed so much

it's a pretty amazing record of my growth (never mind the kids)

it's a present for my stepmother and i actually don't want to give the quilt up after

quilt front

quilt back

now i'm down to the scary parts of it -- teh quilting and the binding

i think i'm actually going to go in for some sort of classes or workshops for this part as i've never done either

oh yeah- the block is an original design i did too...
#2 of 10 Old 04-21-2003, 07:51 PM

It's beautiful!!!
#3 of 10 Old 04-21-2003, 08:36 PM

Beautifull use of color!!!!

I do reccomend a class or seminar for the quilting and binding if you haven't done it before only because I had so many unfinnished quilt tops when I first started quilting. I found that a class was insentive to see the project finished and share it with others.

If you don't find a class that fits your project I work in a quilt shop and would be glad to try to explain the different techniques on line.

I am so glad to see another quilter starting out with an original design. Don't let the traditional ladies talk you out of coming up with your own designs I love my co-workers but find they can be a little pushy with people who are just starting out.

YAy! More quilters!
QM
#4 of 10 Old 04-22-2003, 02:00 AM

That's a beautiful quilt.

I love quilting. I wish I knew how to load up a picture.

(Uh, can you tell I'm tired?)
#5 of 10 Old 04-23-2003, 12:16 PM

It's wonderful! You did a fantastic job putting it all together!

What did you do for the names? Is it also iron on, or do you have a fancy machine for embroidering?

If you're planning on machine quilting, I highly recommend getting a walking foot. I functioned for a long time without one but finally bought it and it made quilting so much easier and less scary. For the binding, I always just do it by hand, rather than machine -- it always comes out a whole lot better.

I just made a quilt top for dd and will post a photo when it's done.

Congrats! More quilters!!!
#6 of 10 Old 04-24-2003, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

if i had someone local that would let my dd visit for playtime, i'd have a lot more to show : )

she's supposed to start preschool in the fall but i cant imagine really getting anything done in 2 hours ten minutes

i have a used viking machine and the names are embroidered on

i appreciate the advice on the binding but the reality is that i'm never going to hand sew it. my grandchildren will be finishing teh quilt if i try for that one

here's something i've always wondered about when it comes to the binding....

everything i've seen says that you fold a fabric in half, match the raw edges adn then bring the folded edge over to the back

any idea why don't they do it like seam binding instead? have a width of fabric and fold each raw edge into the middle then have the folded edges straddle the quilt?
#7 of 10 Old 04-24-2003, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

i had one quilt shop employee that felt since i didnt have an opinion on size, she would push hers HARD

it made sense logically - make the borders a size so that i could fit the quilt onto a single width of my backing (42/44")

as it turned out, i wasn't happy with borders that small so i said to hell with it. i'm sewing it the way i think is best.

had i really concentrated on it, i could have come up with a better back but this one's ok. it ties into the front and it fits so i'm happy
#8 of 10 Old 04-24-2003, 11:49 AM

Terri,

That first set of instructions, making a width of fabric long enough to go around the quilt, then folding it in half... yada yada... you know... works really well if you're hand quilting. I do it as follows (from Diana Leone's Book - Sampler Quilt-):

Cut 2 inch strips of fabric, sew together on a diagonal so that you have a long strip large enough to go around the quilt. Then I fold in half with the seams in the middle and sew with the raw edges together to the front of the quilt 1/4 inch from the edge with a walking foot. Then, I hand stitch to the back. This gives about a 1/4 inch binding. The hand stitching to finish doesn't take that long, maybe 2 hours for your quilt.

Alternatively, if you're finishing the binding by machine, do the same as above, but sew the binding to the BACK of the quilt, then fold it over and tack it to the front. That way, you can use the edge of the binding as your guide and the front looks nice even if you go over the line on the back. Does this make sense?

I suppose that you could also use the second method you mentioned, except that it's difficult to get the fabric in line just right on a non-industrial machine, which is why I don't use it.

Good luck!
#9 of 10 Old 04-24-2003, 01:09 PM

I used to make my binding like seam binding when I first started quilting and would dread having to put it on. When someone showed me the method JJquilter mentioned above it literally cut 4 hours out of my binding sewing! I always machine stitch to front and than wrap around and hand stitch to the back, I also cut my binding at 2 1/2 just because i like a little more fabric to work with.

Qm
#10 of 10 Old 04-24-2003, 05:15 PM

FInishing a quilt:

http://www.members.aol.com/sangersl/qltfin.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page