Wood animals are shockingly easy to make! (with the right tools) - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 238 Old 01-29-2009, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
I finally finished some toys!! :

Owl and tree

Moon mobile
for friend's baby due in June (I'm going to hang stars from the bottom)

DD holding tree
Is she not the most beautiful child!?!

DD helping me paint

DP has taken DD out to play so I can work on more.. better get off the puter and take advantage of my precious toddler-free time!!!
Oh wow! Those are great!!! My two year old is next to me and he is in love with your owl. (He's got a thing about owls and always has.)
#182 of 238 Old 03-04-2009, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3901sca View Post
Oh wow! Those are great!!! My two year old is next to me and he is in love with your owl. (He's got a thing about owls and always has.)
Thanks, 3901.

I made a ton more but here are 4 that are completely finished:
Forest friends Deer, rabbit, hedgehog, mouse
At play

I am feeling so-so about the hedgehog. I think he looks more like a porcupine with a buzz cut. Or a turtle with whiskers.

Also, we've been talking a lot about the paint rubbing off. On the animals above, I used a very diluted brown water color. I used some brighter colors- red, blue, green- on some other pieces, and even though they were diluted also (you can still see the wood grain) they started to rub off while I polished, 24 hours after painting.

Do I need to dry them longer? Stick them in front of a space heater? Set the paint in the oven? I was really disappointed when I saw the beautiful color rub away with my polishing rag, leaving a blotchy mess.
#183 of 238 Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 PM

For some reason when we cut the wood, it really splinters. For the most part we can sand it out, but any suggestions? Should we make the blade go faster, slower, take a blade and trace the outline before we cut it? Any tips would be appreciated.
#184 of 238 Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleklu View Post
For some reason when we cut the wood, it really splinters. For the most part we can sand it out, but any suggestions? Should we make the blade go faster, slower, take a blade and trace the outline before we cut it? Any tips would be appreciated.
Is it maybe the kind of wood? I haven't had any splintering problems. We've used pine (which is a little bit splintery, but not bad at all) and poplar. I had read that some woods do it more than others. I also tend to have my blade at a pretty high speed, but I don't know if that makes a difference.
#185 of 238 Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 PM

I'd like to start off by saying that MDC is horrible for my craft addiction
I have yet to even get my waldorf doll kit in the mail and now im bugging DH about making little wooden animals....but then again this could be counted as *his* project. Anyone know of a online silouette or patterns for sea creatures? Whales,dolphins,octopus or the like? I think were going to really water down water colors and beeswax for ours. I like the very faint paint look with the wood grain showing (and no facial features) on them. Im also thinking about doing a alphabet set since DS is a very tactile learner hopefully it will help him learn his alphabet.
#186 of 238 Old 03-30-2009, 03:46 AM

ok, someone be completely honest with me...

how hard is this really?

We too live in an apartment with a balcany. I made dd a play kitchen out there in the dead of winter...so I'd say its safe to say I'm comitted

I bought a scroll saw yesterday to make some wooden animals but now I'm terrified. How do you get the little detail shapes? Like how your aligator has lots of teeth? Is it easy enough? do you draw on your wood or what? Can someone give me detailed instructions for an animal?

I am looking to make just simple wooden animal shapes. Not painted in color, just finished simply.

Any advice?

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
#187 of 238 Old 03-30-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle13 View Post
ok, someone be completely honest with me...

how hard is this really?

We too live in an apartment with a balcany. I made dd a play kitchen out there in the dead of winter...so I'd say its safe to say I'm comitted

I bought a scroll saw yesterday to make some wooden animals but now I'm terrified. How do you get the little detail shapes? Like how your aligator has lots of teeth? Is it easy enough? do you draw on your wood or what? Can someone give me detailed instructions for an animal?

I am looking to make just simple wooden animal shapes. Not painted in color, just finished simply.

Any advice?
Here is a great site that will give you a great starting point and first project.

~Beth~
Mom to 3 sweet girls
#188 of 238 Old 03-30-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaturefreak View Post
Here is a great site that will give you a great starting point and first project.
This is the site I used too. And yes, I print out the outline in the size I want, then trace it onto the wood. Start with something simple so that you can get used to how to direct your wood. Wear eye protection because you WILL break blades. (I've never had one fling any pieces, but would hate to have that one fluke accident cause real damage!)

Alligators with teeth = really putzy hard work. Probably not good for starting out!

Have fun learning!!
#189 of 238 Old 03-31-2009, 05:16 PM

can I use the saw on the ground? or does it have to be clamped?

expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
#190 of 238 Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
can I use the saw on the ground? or does it have to be clamped?
I may be misunderstanding. Ours is a one-piece unit. It's just sitting on the tool-bench at the moment. I don't think I could use it safely if it were sitting on the ground. We must have different kind of scroll-saws.
#191 of 238 Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I may be misunderstanding. Ours is a one-piece unit. It's just sitting on the tool-bench at the moment. I don't think I could use it safely if it were sitting on the ground. We must have different kind of scroll-saws.
mine looks like this

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0...AAAAADoG9A.jpg

so, I'm asking basically if I HAVE to use it on a table, or can I just use it on the ground and kneel down... I hope that made sense.

#192 of 238 Old 03-31-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
mine looks like this

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0...AAAAADoG9A.jpg

so, I'm asking basically if I HAVE to use it on a table, or can I just use it on the ground and kneel down... I hope that made sense.
If you're comfortable with that angle it should work. Ours is really similar.
#193 of 238 Old 03-31-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
If you're comfortable with that angle it should work. Ours is really similar.
ok thank you I was just nervous it would tip over or something...can you tell I'm scared to use it?

#194 of 238 Old 04-01-2009, 10:35 AM

do you guys sand After you paint? I've heard this recommended, but it ruins the paint job

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#195 of 238 Old 04-01-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeppers View Post
do you guys sand After you paint? I've heard this recommended, but it ruins the paint job
I use water colors to paint my figures and the water raises the grain, making the pieces rough. So I lightly sand them with a finer sandpaper to remove the rough spots after painting them.

I am not sure if you need to sand after using acrylic paint though.

~Beth~
Mom to 3 sweet girls
#196 of 238 Old 04-01-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenaturefreak View Post
I use water colors to paint my figures and the water raises the grain, making the pieces rough. So I lightly sand them with a finer sandpaper to remove the rough spots after painting them.

I am not sure if you need to sand after using acrylic paint though.
and you don't think it ruins your paint job? I've used like 400+ grit and it still takes the paint off.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#197 of 238 Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 PM

I give all my pieces a lightly sanding after they are painted. If th paint is coming off totally after you lightly sand chances are your paint isn't watered down enough to soak into the wood. If the paint is too think is just "sits" on top of the wood.
#198 of 238 Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
and you don't think it ruins your paint job? I've used like 400+ grit and it still takes the paint off.
Erin said it perfectly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellimamo View Post
I give all my pieces a lightly sanding after they are painted. If th paint is coming off totally after you lightly sand chances are your paint isn't watered down enough to soak into the wood. If the paint is too think is just "sits" on top of the wood.
It does lighten my colors slightly sometimes, but I want to see the wood grain under the paint. It never completely takes the paint off, and I use 150 grit most of the time..

Here are a few examples of what I have done with the watercolors.

~Beth~
Mom to 3 sweet girls
#199 of 238 Old 04-01-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellimamo View Post
Thanks for explaining that. I'm certain that's what we did wrong with our Christmas animals. It was like painting with oil paints practically! I'm not a painter so I watched DH do the first one and just followed his lead. I've since bought some professionally made figures and realized we're doing it wrong! Gonna take another stab with the watercolors when I do some dinosaurs later this week!
#200 of 238 Old 04-01-2009, 11:13 PM

about how tall are your animals?

I made a snail that was 1.5 inches and a bunny that was 7 inches. I'm curious about how big everyones farm animals are, and how big your trees are.

ps it is pretty easy. At first I was scared, but I got the hang of it fast

heres what I made. my fish and chick need more work

But I like my bunny and snale and whale

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...io/fish022.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...io/fish019.jpg

#201 of 238 Old 04-02-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
about how tall are your animals?

I made a snail that was 1.5 inches and a bunny that was 7 inches. I'm curious about how big everyones farm animals are, and how big your trees are.
Small Pine 5.25"
Large Pine 8.5"
Med Tree (w/ base) 7.5"
Tall Tree (w/ base) 9.75"

(height x width)
Cow 4.5" x 5.5"
Calf 3" x 3"
Horse 5.75" x 5.5"
Foal 4" x 3.5"
Goat 2.75" x 3.5"
Ram 3.5" x 4.25"
Sheep 3.25" x 4"
Lamb 2.25" x 2.75"
Duck 2.5" x 3"
Sow 2.25" x 3.5"
Piglet 1.75" x 2.75"

So far, I like to make everything to scale as much as possible because it is aesthetically pleasing to me. The smaller items are a bit bigger so they will not be choking hazards.

~Beth~
Mom to 3 sweet girls
#202 of 238 Old 04-03-2009, 05:23 PM

Thanks again for the paint tips! I did the dinosaurs and I'm SOOO much happier with how they've come out! The wood is stained, not caked on. A bit of beeswax polish or mineral oil ought to do the trick just fine this time!!!
#203 of 238 Old 04-23-2009, 05:42 PM

Another question everybody:

How do you sand? I have found that my figures are the smoothest when I use an abrasive buff on the rotary tool, but they are about $3.50 for 2, and I use up one on almost every piece!! So they get kind of expensive.

I get so frustrated hand-sanding. It comes out so uneven, and any time I try to correct a tiny rough spot, it scratches up another part that was already smooth. I also have a hard time manipulating the paper around curves.

I've been eyeing the power sanders at the store, but they range between $30 and $200 and I have no idea which is right for this kind of work.

Thoughts? Ideas?
#204 of 238 Old 04-23-2009, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

I have a table belt sander that I really like, and then I use a fine grade sandpaper for finishing-touch hand sanding. If you aren't sure what you'd like to use, machine-wise, find a tool rental place and rent something - often they are very inexpensive for a half-day, not likely more than $10. Then you won't be spending big money on something you're not sure of.
#205 of 238 Old 04-26-2009, 03:02 PM

I'm unhappy with the oil/beeswax finish. I really want something stronger. Holtziger animals say they use a water-based lacquer. Does anyone have any experience with that?

#206 of 238 Old 04-26-2009, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm unhappy with the oil/beeswax finish. I really want something stronger.
Can you be a little more specific about what you're looking for? "Stronger" is kind of unclear. Do you want something that's shinier? Thicker? The oil/beeswax sort of soaks in and doesn't leave a shiny external coat in the same way that, say, a polyurethane or shellac does. Do you care about "chewability," or do you not expect these to be nibbled on? If you don't, you have a much wider choice of options.
#207 of 238 Old 05-01-2009, 03:10 AM

I realize this thread is very old, but waaay cool!
#208 of 238 Old 06-02-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaberg View Post
I have a table belt sander that I really like, and then I use a fine grade sandpaper for finishing-touch hand sanding. If you aren't sure what you'd like to use, machine-wise, find a tool rental place and rent something - often they are very inexpensive for a half-day, not likely more than $10. Then you won't be spending big money on something you're not sure of.
Well after much back-and-forth in my head, I finally just went to the store and picked out a sander.

Skil Octo Sander

I love this thing. It is hand-held but small enough to hold in one hand while holding my object in another. I've slipped and hit my hand many times without any discomfort or damage. (No "sanded finger tips" which I get occasionally using the Dremel.) It is efficient and precise, and my only complaint is that it comes with only two grades of sand paper: 60 and 120. I need to check if they sell other grades separately.
#209 of 238 Old 06-02-2009, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post

I love this thing. It is hand-held but small enough to hold in one hand while holding my object in another.

That does look wonderful! A whole lot more portable than what I use, too. I didn't even know they made such a thing. I especially like the point on it - you could really do some fine work that way. Oooh, tools are so much fun.

Do you have pictures? I'd love to see!

(of the toys, not the sander. :-))
#210 of 238 Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaberg View Post
That does look wonderful! A whole lot more portable than what I use, too. I didn't even know they made such a thing. I especially like the point on it - you could really do some fine work that way. Oooh, tools are so much fun.

Do you have pictures? I'd love to see!

(of the toys, not the sander. :-))
Yes, but they are on my mom's computer. I'll get them on here soon tho. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page