need scrapbook help.... PLEASE - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2003, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I am burning out on the scrapbooking, I have all these great pictures, and I am SO far behind, its depressing...

I have been watching alot of scrapbooking shows, and I think that might be part of the problem that I am trying to recreate the pages I see and then I get so fustrated,when it doesn't come out right..

Any ideas, I really want to get motivated again...

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2003, 02:36 AM

I know whatcha mean...
It's easy to get overwhelmed with all the fancy stuff out there. I don't like to look through all those magazines just for that reason.
I personally like Creative Memories Page Patterns. They are simple page layouts (specific to there products) that don't take too much effort. I have 0 creativity, so this is the best for me, I like to copy. They aren't overwhelming and I can omit stuff if I feel it's too much. But if you don't use CM products that can make my pointer tough.
CM motto is Simple pages=Finished albums, and I try to stick to that. The most important thing is the journaling really. If the story behind the pictures is written, that mostly what people come away from your album (me anyway), not that it was so fancy.
Another thing is not to get down on yourself for getting behind, I am very behind, but I just try to orginize my things and pictures neatly somewhere to be done later and I'll get to it when I can. Life happens right? Having small kids makes it tough for now!
I also think about how my scrapbooks are a reflection of me, and fancy and busy AREN"T me. So a simpler look and feel to my pages reflects me much more acurately and when a good friend looks at my albums they see that.
I also don't want to spend 45 minutes to an hour on a page. That's what burns me out is when it feels sooooooo time consuming that, like you said, gets frustrating. So that's why I really like the simple pages concept. I basically find some matching colors of triangles or rectangles a few stickers maybe and then concentrate on the journaling. You'll know the pictures to get more elaborate on and that's fun when it comes to you instead of struggling to put a page together.
I've rambled on, hope this helps!
Old 04-27-2003, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

It did..... Thank You...

I think tonight I will sit down and organize alittle better, and go from there, Maybe that would help....

Again, Thank You
Old 04-27-2003, 02:37 PM

Yeah organizing definitely helped me have more fun at it.

I got a 4 drawer cart at Target and then in the kitchen area I got a ton of those little individual drawer organizers that hook together. So in my top drawer I have a bin of markers, a bin of pens, a bin of ink pads, a bin of stamps and a bin of adhesives (photo splits and tape and such). Then in the second drawer I have a bin of scissors, a bin of punches, a bin of rulers and the Creative Memories circle and oval templates. In the 3rd drawer I have a bin of stickers and a few bins of small paper scraps & die cuts. In the bottom drawer I have cutting mats, page protectors and other msc. junk. Then I have an accordian file folder that has all my colors of paper sorted out. The best thing about it all is that it all stays in the cart so when I'm done I just close the drawers and wheel it off with very little extra mess to clean up on my table. And since everything has it's place and is very accesible I can scrap easily in shorter amounts of time if I have to.

So my whole organizing system cost about $20 for the cart, $20 for the organizers and $10 for the folder. So $50 total. Of course you could also get the carts that they sell at Archivers and such that are more portable if you take your scrapbooking to friends' houses or something.

Another thing that helps me is to sort my pictures into categories in one of those photo boxes. That way I don't have to hunt through a ton of pictures to find the 4 I want to use.

And one thing that helps my friend Cindy, although it doesn't help me, is that she crops all of her pictures that she wants use on several pages and mounts them all on paper individually. (KWIM?) Then she just sits down and slaps them all in the book and journals. It's kind of like a little assembly line. LOL And the use of the different mounting papers on the pictures gives her scrapbook sort of a patch-work look.

Hope these ideas help! Have fun!!
Old 04-27-2003, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

that sounds like a great idea, I think part of my problem is I have too much stuff (like that is really possible, lol) I have alot of pens, and I think way too much papers, and I admit I am pretty unorganized right now, But the roll cart idea is a good one..

Thanks for all the great advice

BTW, is anyone interested in bouncing ideas off each other? I got so many pics I could really use some ideas...
Old 04-28-2003, 12:33 AM

What kind of ideas do you mean??
Page ideas kinda thing?
Old 04-28-2003, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, there are times I stare at stuff and come up blank, but can talk to a friend and give her a ton of ideas
Old 04-28-2003, 04:08 PM

Sounds like fun...I'm game, just hope I can contribute anything worthwhile! Like I said, I don't have much in the way of creativity, but could help bounce some ideas around!

I have been working on my 91 yo Grandma's photos from waaaaay back (her grandparents!) and putting them into scrapbooks for her, so I kind of have heritage stuff stuck in my head these days. It's been so fun to see all of my relatives I've never met. When I went to visit her last fall I went ot all of these peoples grave sites, so that was neat. Now I'm working on my aunts and uncles and dad's pictures when they were young and will work through all of us grandkids and now great grandkids.

What kind of materials do you like using? I have lots of CM stuff but do use other stuff too. What kind of pages are you getting "stuck" on lately? Is it stuff your working on for your kids or you as a kid? When you have so many dang things to scrapbook it's easy to put it off! That's what I kinda did until I got my Gramma's pic's.

How about anybody else? Wanna help us with ideas too?
Old 04-29-2003, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Right now I have a few pics that belonged to my great grandma, the earliest is hand dated on back from the early 1900's, I am nervous at placing those anywhere, so for now they are safely put away...

We just got pack from vacation and I have 7 rolls of film from Disney and Universal Studios in Florida, and Easter and my daughters b day pics, I am so far behind it isnt even funny, My son who is almost 1 and I am still working on his hospital pics... I am such a bad mommy, and with my daughters book I am about 2 years behind on that..

And my hand writing is pretty bad so I try to due the journaling on the computer and then I save them and go back and print them later, but someone told me that was bad to do, since its not personal.... I GIVE UP!!!!!!! I would like them to be able to read what the meaning of the pics are...
Old 04-29-2003, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, I've done some scrapbooking, made a scrapbook of my first navy cruise and helped my best friend make one for her daughter's first year (which we finished when she was 2 1/2!).

What's journaling? I tend to write relatively little in my scrapbooks, just short little blurbs, often using stickers for letters (I get carried away with stickers, lol), or putting brief notes pointing out interesting bits or identifying people, etc.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 04-29-2003, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

just basically the memories about the pics, with Cathryn I have from her first b day, everyone who came, what she was like that day, what she got, that way she can go back and just see what happened when the pics where taken.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:52 PM

Hello this is LizaJanesMom's husband LizaJanesDad. I am replying for her from work because our computer is dead and will take a few days to get it alive. She is anxious to reply. Bye for now.
Old 05-10-2003, 06:01 PM

Hello, I'm finally back...dang computer...
Anyway, what I have done with my Grandma's precious photo's is used photo corners, so that they can be taken out by using a knife to cut under one corner and the picture can come out without bending the picture and possibly breaking them. I haven't pemenently put any pictures down. I also use these plastic sheets to slide in some pictures to protect them if they're already damaged.
Mommyof2kids-you're not a bad mommy for not keeping up with it! Don't tell yourself that! I don't want to fall into that trap of self induced guilt about my scrapbooking. There isn't an unwritten rule telling us as moms to keep up our kids' scrapbooks within 3 months of their current age. My dd is almost a year and I haven't touched anything for her and my 3 1/2 yo dd is still a baby in her last pages I've done! If I ever get to do a page I just have been doing my Grandmas stuff, and I don't have any time lately.
I think if I had Disney pic's I'd just use primary color short cuts (small triangles squares rectangles) and just add some Disney stickers which are always easy to come by. Since there are so many rolls, I'd hate to get to fancy for fear of theme burn out.
As for journaling, just do what you think is easiest really. Yeah people bring up the print out stuff from the computer isn't personal, but that's better than no journaling if you're really self concious (sp?) about your writing. Do what YOU want to do to get it done! Journaling for me can sometimes get too detailed but if just enough is written about the picture to let the reader who wasn't there know, that's enough, you'll know when to get more detailed. My writing is pretty poor too, but I just figure if I have typo's or it's messy, my family will look at it and say "Yep, that's moms writing alright!" I have kinda evolved from this image of scrapbooks "having hours poured into them to impress others" to "I'm making them to reflect me and my family". If it ends up a little messy and rough around the edges, that's okay.
My sister in law did some pages for her girls and at first I was kinda taken back by what she was showing me. It was a bunch of pictures of my nieces all cut into circles and whatever odd shape the sissors ended up making and just slapped onto the page in a rather messy fashion. But what I came away with was that my nieces had helped with it and they were very proud and happy to show off their creation. They were so pleased to show themselves off. That taught me that it doesn't need to be fancy to be appreciated by the ones who count.
I've rambled on...sorry, and on such a captivating subject such as scrapbooking!! I guess I am just trying to tell you is do your pages and books YOUR way instead of what you think others may want your books to look like, that peer pressure thing can influence every aspect of our lives, even something as fun a scrapbooking which in my opinion the market is telling us "BIGGER BETTER MORE COMPLICATED and TIME COMSUMING is better, so buy all of these products to make one page 2 and 3 hours to do!"
Okay...I'm done!!:
Old 05-10-2003, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

I actually got the house to myself tonight, So I am gonna sit down and see what happens, I found some disney paper, so I think I might try those tonight, The pics I got from my grandma, are on the really thick cardboard, and I am so afraid of touching those, But I think I am going to copy them on the printer, they are already black and white, so i might see what I can do, I also put away some pics for now, I think seeing them all there waiting was causing me panic attacks, lol

So we will see what happens, any other ideas for me?
Old 05-12-2003, 09:08 PM

Soo, did you get stuff done that night??

I've just put those cardboard kind of pictures right in my scrapbook! But I do understand being weary of touching them! Those old ones are so precious! One thing I did do was went to Kinko's and make good quality copies of the ones I didn't use the originals, like if they were too big or too damaged.

I totally understand getting freaked out about so much! Hopefully you got some stuff done and feel a little more organized!
Old 05-13-2003, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

I am in the process of redoing my whole desk in a effort to get better organized, my desk is in our bedroom, so the kids wont touch it, I think that is part of the problem, being back here is hard cause I can only work on stuff when Dh is home, So I am working on making a spot for me in the livingroom, Cathryn the last few times I worked at the diningroom table has asked to help, So I let her make her own page for her book, and we both enjoyed it, So now I need to decide do I want to be back here or out there and go with the flow....

User Tag List