Ideas for gifts made by a 3 year old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 11-30-2006, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for ideas on what my DD could make for gifts.

Handprint stuff is always cool, but I'm kinda stumped. Any ideas on a way to make a gift of two handprints on top of each other? I've painted with poster paint DD and DS's hands and press on paper - DD first then DS right on top. But where to go from there? A piece of paper isn't much of a gift! Can you paint their hands with fabric paint?

Totally unrelated ideas welcome too!!! DD loves to do crafts.

Thanks!
#2 of 26 Old 11-30-2006, 03:41 PM

You can put their handprints on felt or fleece and make fleece scarves with their handprints on the ends, portable hugs =)

Handprints or footprints with cute sayings across t-shirts, aprons, tote bags.

Or you could just have them put handprints on canvas and it could be more of a work of art than on a piece of paper :P

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#3 of 26 Old 11-30-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ent_mom View Post
Can you paint their hands with fabric paint?
Yes, or just general acrylic paint will stick to most fabric, just wash up quickly and carefully
Last year I had DD paint wooden ornaments with glittery paint. I'm looking for more ideas for this year too.

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#4 of 26 Old 11-30-2006, 07:31 PM

My totally unrelated idea list:

What about an empty clean can to make a pencil holder? You can hot glue some paper around it (that way, your dd can just use regular glue to stick on whatever....)

Or candy cane reindeer! Some googly eyes and brown pipe cleaners and voila!

Or plastic spoons dipped in chocolate then sprinkles/nuts/etc to give away to coffee/hot chocolate drinkers.

Pretzal sticks dipped in the same wrapped up in a beautifully designed by your dd brown paper bag.

Or depending on how brave you are, , you could make those cookie mix in a jar thingys and have your dd measure and scoop into the jar and decorate the labels.

I'll keep thinking.....
#5 of 26 Old 11-30-2006, 09:38 PM

Oh, another cute one! Squirt white paint into your daughter's hands and have her rub them together like she's washing them, then hand her one of those christmas tree ball thingies in each hand, then take it again, and you should have a family of snowmen on a snowcovered ground =D Wait till the white paint dries and add scarves and hats and eyes and whatnot to the wee lil snowfolk and put the year on the ballthingy.

Lemme see if I can find a link so my directions aren't too cryptic =D

http://www.littlegiraffes.com/snowmanornam.gif

#6 of 26 Old 12-01-2006, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Love all these great ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTX View Post
Squirt white paint into your daughter's hands
Poster paint or soomething else? What a cute ornament! Thanks!
#7 of 26 Old 12-01-2006, 11:08 AM

I used Acrylic paint when I did it with my kids =)

#8 of 26 Old 12-01-2006, 04:40 PM

Have you tried those thumb print books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Thumb-...316236683)they have some really creative ideas for pictures
She could print a picture. A different one for each person. Then add a calendar underneath. Hole punch holes in the top and affix a ribbon so it can hang

I read a nice idea using a jar. Empty baby jar. Fill with hot cocoa/hot chocolate mix., sugar( optional) marshmallows and a Hershey kiss. Wrap in nice material. Fix on a label. She could type if it or cut it out. Something cute.

Make cookies cut into shapes and but ribbon inside to hang on tree.

All I can think of right now.....HTH

Playing one day at a time
#9 of 26 Old 12-01-2006, 04:48 PM

nak
great ideas. i love making gift tags with the kids. i am thinking of making a foot and hand-cast out p.o.p. and pressing fast-drying clay or salt-dough into the hardened casts to make 3-d hands and feet that you could then stick stiff wire in to hold up photos. or, no wires, and just have paper weights...

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#10 of 26 Old 12-01-2006, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bath salts.

Stir up regular salt mixed with epsom salt; a couple of drops of food color and essential oil for scent. Put in pretty jars.
#11 of 26 Old 12-01-2006, 05:21 PM

We're making aprons with handprint/footprint reindeer. I bought brown fabric paint and will put one footprint as the reindeer head with two brown handprints above it as the antlers then write "Gram's Deers" in fabric paint and add a red glittery nose and blue (or whatever color) eyes. I also have gold glitter paint to decorate the antlers. We've also done these on small canvas bags -- very cute! I usually outline the prints with a puff paint to really make it stand out and have my oldest DD use puff paints to make designs around the prints. (Like little squiggles over whatever she wants.)

Handprints make cute Santa heads too. Paint fingers white, middle of palm pink and rest of palm and thumb red. It is soooo cute! All you need to add are googly eyes to the face and a cotton ball to the end of the thumb for his pompom. (This year I used snow writer instead of a cotton ball and it looks great!)
#12 of 26 Old 12-02-2006, 06:47 AM

We are getting our wee ones to paint on stretched canvases as presents for grandparents, and for us.
The canvases were really cheap. We're going to give them some acrylics in nice colours and let them at it. Many work in progess pictures will be taken: And the best will be given with the picture.
I'm thinking it might be a good idea to paint over the canvas first in a colour so that white canvas doesn't show, and maybe let them dry a bit between colours. Our boy is a big colour mixer at the moment.
We have also used baby handprints laminated to decorate a tin with my homemade cookies as a gift.
#13 of 26 Old 12-02-2006, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytime View Post
Handprints make cute Santa heads too. Paint fingers white, middle of palm pink and rest of palm and thumb red. It is soooo cute! All you need to add are googly eyes to the face and a cotton ball to the end of the thumb for his pompom. (This year I used snow writer instead of a cotton ball and it looks great!)
Yes! those make the best gift tags/ornaments!! my students made those year after year...always a hit

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#14 of 26 Old 12-02-2006, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
who are the gifts for?

my girls have painted frames both wooden and cardboard (from craft stores) before with good results. i also let dd1 paint the matte one year and just kept the frame black. that looked nice, too. for my dad's 80th birthday they picked out 80 different beads at the bead store and glued them onto a frame. popped a photo of them in and that was a really nice present. for my mom's 80th they made a necklace of 80 beads. painted flower pots are nice (acrylics work well on terra cotta or zero VOC housepaint).

a handprint wreath is nice. i want to help my girls make one for the grands to give early so they can display it. you trace their hands on green paper and then cut them out. then you trace your cut outs a bunch of times and cut those out so you have a gazillion little green hands. cut the center out of a paper plate to make a ring (or just make a ring out of some other paper) and glue all the hands around the ring covering it up completely. the fingers should point out and the base of the palm is in the center. top it off with a bow of red contrstuction paper or real ribbon and you've got a great wreath. if you've got two slightly different shades of green and two kids you can do one kid's hands in one shade and the other in the other shade. looks really great. the kids can help with the gluing though not so much the cutting out.

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#15 of 26 Old 12-04-2006, 04:38 AM

Just thought about making a pomander.
They smell so good.
Orange or satsuma/clementine
whole cloves

Stick them all in and cover the fruit.
Hang with ribbon or thread in a wardrobe etc.

smells great

Playing one day at a time
#16 of 26 Old 12-04-2006, 02:17 PM

Some great ideas here! I'm trying to come up with something, too. I like the idea on another thread for letting them squirt acrylic paint into a glass ornament and swirl it around. I'm taking kid-made gifts on an airplane, though, and others will have to fly with them, too, so that one is out for us.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#17 of 26 Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 PM

Thanks for this thread, Kim (miss you BTW!!!). I'm looking for gift ideas as well and some of these are great!

I was tossing around in my head ideas for Doo's teachers. I came up with peanut butter pinecone birdfeeders (after I google and see if they're actually good for the birds!) or rainbow bean soup layered jar mixes. He can help with both of those.

I looooove the snowman ornaments!! And the handprint wreaths - I'd forgotten about those! - I'm now debating if I should do foam or construction paper or felt!

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#18 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 12:39 AM

When my oldest was 3 or so, we did handprint magnets. Just his hand, traced on a piece of construction paper and then cut out (by me). We put a line/bead of glue around the outline of the hand and he shook glitter ALL over it. When it dried, we glued a flat magnet to the back. Easy and quick, and we did about 20 of them in a short time. They don't last forever, but they're fun.
#19 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanjeepin View Post

I was tossing around in my head ideas for Doo's teachers. I came up with peanut butter pinecone birdfeeders (after I google and see if they're actually good for the birds!) or rainbow bean soup layered jar mixes. He can help with both of those.
I think the prevailing wisdom now is to use suet and birdseed instead of peanut butter? But check around and see what you can find.

Dying silk scarves with koolaid is something young kids can do really easily. Get the scarves from dharmatrading.com http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...rves_silk.html
for $1 - $5 each, and then follow these directions for how to dye them with koolaid...
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=koolaid
I'm doing some of those for family members myself...and I've seen some BEAUTIFUL silks people made. Someone dyed a scarf a deep deep blue then used gold fabric paint to paint some stars and moons on it - it was gorgeous.

Cinnamon apple sauce dough ornaments are great - there are lots of recipes for the dough out there, cut with cookie cutters, use a straw to make the hole, let air dry or put in the oven at a low temp, tie a pretty ribbon through the hold. You can decorate with puffy paints once they're dry too, if you feel like getting that fussy.

I'm Heather, newly married (12/5/10) to James! partners.gif
We are currently "mama" and "papa" to Maisy cat.gif and soon... parents to BABY NEW YEAR 2012!! babyf.gifWe're happily planning a h20homebirth.gif and intend to femalesling.GIFbfinfant.gifdiaper.gif

#20 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTX View Post
That is sooooo cute, we are definately making those!
#21 of 26 Old 12-07-2006, 12:40 PM

We made the snowman handprint ornaments and they are THE BEST ORNAMENTS EVER! Soooo adorable ... very easy and inexpensive too! I bought a pack of nine glass ornaments at Michael's for $6, a tube of paint for .50 and used mini Sharpie markers for the features. Soooo cute -- my daughter wants to make more!
#22 of 26 Old 12-12-2006, 10:52 PM

We just finished our magnents...they turned out fabulously!

I bought a tonne of little wooden cutouts of animals and plants from Michaels, she took a paint brush and some paints and painted them all funky!
Then I hot glued a magnent on the back of each one, modgepodged them so they would last and they are drying on the table.
These were for all her and my friends and distant relatives.

For close family
1) I bought wooden frames and she painted them and I will be putting photos of her and the recipient into them

2) Birdhouses were painted and otherwise decorated

3) Terra cotta pots were painted and we will be buying a plant for each one closer to the date.

I think I spent about $50 total (though more once I get the plants) and we got something for about 25 ppl. I feel pretty good about $2 per person!

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#23 of 26 Old 12-13-2006, 11:48 AM

What is modgepodging? Thinking of making frig magnets.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#24 of 26 Old 12-14-2006, 04:07 PM

I love this magnet idea! Ani will be two tomorrow, but she LOVES paint, so I think I'll buy some wooden shapes, or maybe boxes? and have her paint them for her grandparents.
#25 of 26 Old 12-14-2006, 04:18 PM

We went to a craft session at Michael's Craft Store last weekend. They painted wooden boxes (bigger than a jewerly box ... more like a "treasure" box) and then the teacher used a hot glue gun to make swirls on the top of each box. When that dried, which was just a few minutes, the kids painted the top with gold paint which gave it a funky antique finish. It's really cute! My daughter is using her box to store small trinkets, but they would make a great gift!
#26 of 26 Old 12-19-2006, 03:49 AM

subbing - fun ideas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page