Status Checkl - Holiday Knitting! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 101 Old 11-30-2006, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't believe it! I put the finishing touches on my brother's giftbox today! A ribbed scarf for him, a dropstitch Patons SWS scarf for his wife and the LTK vest for my nephew is FINALLY DONE! As soon as I get pictures of it all it's in the mail and gone. I also stitched together my 3rd panta. Unless I get ambitious, I only have a hat for my sister's fiance, another panta, a cowl/hood thing for mil and my mom's cell phone holders. I can't believe I still have 3 weeks left. Of course, right now I'm on Stripey Slipper #2 for my youngest, and would rather cast on another vest than another panta......:
#2 of 101 Old 11-30-2006, 07:02 PM

Lets see, halfway done with a panta I am making for myself in soysilk(leftovers from SIL's armwarmers)red too I only started last night!

SIL has us all sewing her desgn for a tote bag this year, s0 I have about 6-10 to make.
I am also planning to knit some small ornaments from sock yarn remnants.
I am making tons of ornaments this year.

Making the jamesey sweater for dh, from knitty. might get done, we'll see I just cast on....

just finished a hat for dd to wear this fall/winter. I need to make the kids mittens. siah still needs a new hat. Well, not really,

I need a hat too. I might make MIL socks. I want to knit SIL a panta.
I need to make a tiny shawl for a weewonderfuls kitty I made for my grandma, who pretty much taught me to sew, well, her and my mom. The kitty will have a pretty green sock yarn shawl- to be determined.
socks for myself.

Anything else I feel like making.

coffee anyone? Or how about some fresh kombucha? That really gets me energized. I am wound so tight this year. I am like trying to be superwoman or something.

I have decided that several of these things can be finished up on Christmas vacation at dh's parentsthis year. I have a loooong car ride too

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#3 of 101 Old 11-30-2006, 07:23 PM

Let's see. I have been knitting scarves like crazy. I am trying to knit a scarf every day this week for the craft fair I have on Sunday. So far, I have succeeded -- 4 scarves in 4 days!

My list for Christmas gifts is as follows:
8 curly purly dropped stitch scarves and 8 pantas for women on my list. (I have 1 of these scarves and 1/2 of 1 panta completed)
7 ribbed scarves for men on my list (I have not a one of these completed -- this yarn should be delivered to my house today)!
6 wraps for a FIN (I started one and decided I didn't like that yarn for it. I now have the new yarn, but am waiting to finish making scarves before I start on them. Maybe next week should be a wrap a day week!)

Depending how insane I think I am, I may make some scarves for some of the women at work. I have another plan for that in case it doesn't work out.
#4 of 101 Old 11-30-2006, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Eek. Well, I've knitted two pairs of socks (I think they're for my sister and my mom but I can't decide) and am almost finished a cross-stitch of a lighthouse on a tea towel for MIL.

This is my first year trying to make crafts for Christmas - and my first time knitting socks. So, I'm no expert knitter or anything, but I like the socks. I used cotton yarn so they would be soft and so they would shrink a bit in the wash and fit better...

Still planning to knit 3 more pairs of socks... I think I can manage it if I stay focused. However this means I am sitting on the couch more and exercising less - oh well, that's what new year's resolutions are for, right?

PS what the heck is a panta?

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#5 of 101 Old 11-30-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
PS what the heck is a panta?
It is a wide, ribbed headband. It also has the honor of the longest thread (at least since I've been hanging out in Yarn Crafts!), which you can view here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=546469
#6 of 101 Old 11-30-2006, 07:40 PM

I have gotten nowhere really. I am making my grandmother this (P71 in pinks and browns) and some clogs for the kids and BIG ones for my big footed brother and maybe some other small fun things for my nieces and I just cannot get motivated. Maybe tomorrow being The First of December (cue music) will inspire me to get knitting....for now I am reading and remodeling the house.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#7 of 101 Old 11-30-2006, 08:12 PM

Ugh, don't remind me. I was planning on knitting clogs for everyone, but we can't afford all the wool to make them, so now I'm using up my cotton and making dishcloths for everyone. I wish I could do more, but oh well.
#8 of 101 Old 11-30-2006, 08:27 PM
WNB

Need to do the sleeves on my bff's Green Gable, but have to get one more skein of yarn first. Doh!! Then blocking and done, unless I decide I don't like it.

Wound up the hanks of yarn for my headbands projects -- I'm not doing pantas, but trying a variation on the IK "Molly's Headband" project. Planning on knitting several at once beginning from the I-cord and working in toward the center, then kitchenering the two pieces together.

Mailed the b'day present for my boss's son's first birthday She loved it. (He's too young to really care, heh.)

Got totally distracted by a local alpaca farm (local to my parents' home, where I was over t'giving) and picked up some nice super-soft handpainted alpaca which I'm knitting up into a soaker for DD. I'm rationalizing it by saying that even though I got yarn before I'd used up what I already had, I'm "using up" the pattern I purchased for the soaker
#9 of 101 Old 11-30-2006, 08:28 PM

I finsihed remaking swell for one of dh's co-workers

My sister decided last weekend that she wants a bangle bag. :

I still have 2 beanies for my nephew, I am making 3 pantas and matching scarves. And maybe some knucks for me.

I have knitted a few hats and scarves for the HH thread though. And am totally stoked about finishing those first
#10 of 101 Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 PM

Okay, this will hopefully force me to stick with what I have cast on...keep me accountable, mamas!!

I have decided to make this scarf into an afghan. I cast on 4 times the patterna nd so far it is turning out really gorgeous...and warm! (Using 2 strands Cotton Fleece)

I am making a cotton log cabin for IL's that is coming along slowly. As it gets bigger, the knitting gets less rewarding! Trudging on...

I am making ball band warshrags for my sis. May also do some hand towels...they're a fun knit.

For my parents I am finishing my dad's golf club covers. I have had to design them myself thanks to his oversized driver. But, I am hoping to publish the pattern and share it soon. I am also thinking about frogging their in progress log cabin blanket in favor of another version of the besotted scarf afghan in some really chunky fun yarn (to knit up quick ).

DH wants a knit hat...but that would be too easy, so I am cookin' up something more for him. Possibly some slipper socks or fingerless gloves.

I am hoping that will be it for the Holiday projects.:

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#11 of 101 Old 11-30-2006, 10:31 PM

I've finished one Sophie bag with an altered strap and I need to find some way to embelish it and get a metallic clasp for it. Another is almost done and needs to be felted and a 3rd Sophie Bag will need the strap redone and then felted. I'm doing pretty well as I think I'll be done for gifts then. I'm waiting on some DPN's from Joann.com before I start attempting to make socks! Should be an interesting experiment!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#12 of 101 Old 11-30-2006, 10:48 PM

cute pattern
can't wait to see it finished

I am 2/3 done wiht panta...chugging along.... but need sleep badly....

#13 of 101 Old 11-30-2006, 11:49 PM

How do you find the time to knit all that stuff? Do you not have little babies? Or not WOTH? Wow. Anyway, here's my list:

Knitty's Coronet hat for DH. Cable brim (my first cable!) is more than 1/2 done.

That's it. I wanted to knit a scarf for my sister but realized there was no way I'd get it done in time. I'd love to knit a quick chunky hat for my classroom aide, but I don't think that's going to happen either. But I am LOVING dh's hat. I keep stopping to admire the cables--I had no idea they were so easy! It is going to take tremendous self-restraint to not claim it for myself.
#14 of 101 Old 12-01-2006, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
How do you find the time to knit all that stuff? Do you not have little babies? Or not WOTH? Wow. Anyway, here's my list:

Knitty's Coronet hat for DH. Cable brim (my first cable!) is more than 1/2 done.

That's it. I wanted to knit a scarf for my sister but realized there was no way I'd get it done in time. I'd love to knit a quick chunky hat for my classroom aide, but I don't think that's going to happen either. But I am LOVING dh's hat. I keep stopping to admire the cables--I had no idea they were so easy! It is going to take tremendous self-restraint to not claim it for myself.
I have a 5 1/2 year old and an 18 month old. I'm busy all day long, so at night, an hour of knitting is quite relaxing for me. And I've turned the little one's naptime into Holiday Knitting Frenzy Time for the last month, so while my housework has suffered, the knitting has come along well. Plus, when my oldest gets home from school, he and the toddler play like mad WITHOUT ME for an hour before I have to get dinner, and I've been known to sneak a few rows on knitting in during that blessed time. Once the holiday is over though I'm going back to my One Project At A Time rule. I want to give myself a few days off, then knit something purely for fun and for me. After that, I'm hoping to start on the felted stuff I want to give for next year's gifts, as I have a feeling I'm going to be a little busier next holiday season than I am this year, and having stuff done in advance would be really, really cool.
#15 of 101 Old 12-01-2006, 01:25 AM

Quote:
How do you find the time to knit all that stuff? Do you not have little babies? Or not WOTH? Wow.
I have no little ones, but I do work full time out of the home. I have been knitting for 1/2 hour in the morning, while at stop lights on my drive to/from work, during my lunch break and for at least an hour at night. Pretty much nothing else is getting done around here this week. I finished another scarf tonight, so I am now 5 for 5 this week.
#16 of 101 Old 12-01-2006, 02:05 AM

Quote:

I have a 4 and 2 year old We just keep busy

#17 of 101 Old 12-01-2006, 02:46 AM

:
i am in too-many-projects-HELL!
right now i have cast on two pairs of picky pants, a panta, and the first of dh's felted mocs (which may end up being for my dad because my *darling* dh has just informed me that he *doesn't like* mocs, he wants slippers with *backs* : )
i still have felted mocs for mom, stepdad, dad, little sister, MIL, FIL, and BIL to do, plus i'm hoping to have dd's picky pants done, 3 scrapbooks for friends, and a panta for my little sister's birthday which oh so conveniently falls 3 days after christmas (but is better than my dad's, which is on christmas and for which i'm hoping to have time to do a scarf but i think that's so not going to happen). someone remind me why i do this to myself? :

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#18 of 101 Old 12-01-2006, 04:49 AM

I have a pair of socks to finish - need to spin a skein of yarn, tops are done. I am going to knit a wee pair of mitts for my great nephew Elwynn as his suoer knitter mum Fern says she has trouble with mittens and I am so glad I can knit something for them!

My daughter wants a sweater but I don't know if I have the time to spin the wool for it but you never know. Other than that I am sewing and building toys this year.

My daughter is knitting washcloths and giving them with homemade soap. It is her first handmade Christmas.
#19 of 101 Old 12-01-2006, 08:04 AM

I have one pair of longies that need posting a week tomorrow, which I can't cast on because the yarn isn't here yet. (whole other story.) I have a hat and scarf that need finishing for the same postal deadline, but different owners.
Yarn for two pairs of felted clogs for the boys, as yet no needles. Little bramble is my next stop Also, yarn for the felted serf bootees for the boys brother, and I have yarn that I'm planning on using for clogs for their new stepsister, if I get time (those two are floating lower on my list of to-dos.)
After that, it's teachers presents: which could jump higher to the top of the queue. Ideally, I'll get the clogs knitted next week, teachers presents the week after, the ex's kids footwear done the week after that and then, hopefully, I'll just have time to do one last felted clutch for my aunt. And then I will collapse into a gibbering heap until January.
Oh, I forgot. Skye is getting longies for Christmas too. AAAAAAAAAARggh. At least it's not a long knit

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#20 of 101 Old 12-01-2006, 10:29 AM

I had big Holiday knitting plans, but life got in the way :
These are great though for quick quick gifts
http://www.white-works.com/slippers.htm They look really goofy in the picture, but once they are stretched out they are much better looking, and they are the most comfiest slippers I own. my dh stole them from me so men like them too. One slipper takes about 45 minutes to knit!
I made a pair for my dd (8) using 3 strands and size 9 or 10's.
#21 of 101 Old 12-01-2006, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm doing horribly!

DH's socks are taking WAY longer than I expected! I'm almost done with the first cuff ... here's hoping the second one goes faster. :

I'm making mittens for DS' 3 teachers at school - they should go fast, but I'm waiting on the yarn still. They are knit in bulky yarn, so again - here's hoping!

My sister's gift was started and frogged. I didn't have the right yarn or needles on hand to do what I wanted, so I started something else. She may get a scarf instead of socks...she is a knitter though, so she may get a scarf and a couple skeins of sock YARN .

Also have a hat for the little girl next door - not even started! It's the i-cord ribbon cap from LMKG...

And a bunch of others. What am I doing here!?!

Mooooom! to  guitar.gifDS (1/05) and whistling.gifDSS (11/05).  TTC fingersx.gifour "ours" after VR on 10/12.  

#22 of 101 Old 12-01-2006, 11:54 AM

The same thing we all are- running and hiding from the dreadful stress and pressure of holiday knitting
I think the technical term is "planning" though.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#23 of 101 Old 12-01-2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
The same thing we all are- running and hiding from the dreadful stress and pressure of holiday knitting
I think the technical term is "planning" though.
definitely I am still "planning"....riiiiigght.

3 more weeks of this, and it shall be upon us! Assuming we all get done in time

#24 of 101 Old 12-01-2006, 09:17 PM

Grandpa's scarf is about half done.
Grandma's scarf is almost completely done, but I lost my copy of the pattern and need to print it out again.
Oma's Cozy(from Knitty) is all of about 6 inches long.
The dishcloths for the fam are roughly 1/3 done, but the soap to wrap up in them and the ribbon to tie them with are already purchased.
Whew. So that's the xmas knitting. BUT DS really needs a hat-we were out in the snow today, and the one he has from last year is just way too small; his poor ears were bright red by the time we came in. (hmmm. if I get off MDC and cast on now, I could have an earwarmer cap done by tomorrow.....)

Monica , DH :cop , DD (8) , DS1 (5) , DS2 (2/09) , and the pup
#25 of 101 Old 12-01-2006, 10:28 PM

I finished my 1/2 done panta! This leaves me with:

7 scarves & 7 pantas for the women on my list.
7 scarves for the men on my list. I'm thinking of adding the LTK cabled skullcap for the men also, but not sure if I want to take that on with all the rest or not!
#26 of 101 Old 12-03-2006, 08:59 PM

i have finished one of the as-yet-to-be-determined-whose mocs and part of the leg of one pair of pickys and a bit more of the panta. so much for "i'll get a whole bunch done whilst riding in the car to grandma's party"

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#27 of 101 Old 12-03-2006, 09:25 PM

Alright I still have 3 pairs of mocs to go, a pair of lace socks, a scarf for my sister who apparently will be here for Christmas. I did finish my baby's blanket, my son's mocs and one sock. Did I mention I'm also in a cookie swap and running a co-op. : I like to bite off more than I can chew.
#28 of 101 Old 12-03-2006, 11:04 PM

When I was posting my list the other day, I knew there was something I was forgetting, but couldn't think what it was. It was 6 wraps for a FIN. I was 5 inches into the first one and had to frog all the way back to the first 8 rows of ribbing. The ribbing is on a number 4 needle, and the rest is on a 6. When I change needle sizes, I routinely knit off the smaller needle with the bigger needle, then continue on with the larger needle. Well I realized I forgot to pick up the other size 6 needle, so had been knitting along with one size 6 and one size 4. Oops.
#29 of 101 Old 12-03-2006, 11:49 PM

Why am I making afghans???? Oh, that's right--I'M INSANE:

Here's progress (that's only about 4 inches)

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#30 of 101 Old 12-04-2006, 12:02 AM

I just updated my blog with finished items. http://hamadryadmomma.blogspot.com

On the needles : # 2 of a pair Ped Socks (MIL)
# 2 of a pair of Cigar Gloves (BIL)
1/3 of the way done with Shedir (sister)
Need to start 2 pairs of man-sized Knucks (step-dad, DH)

After Christmas, I have a pair of longeis to make for a friend, not to mention I am due in April and do not have a whole lot of infant sized woolies because we didn't start wool with Taso until he was six months old. I got my yarn for Babywearer #2, want to start that sometime this decade!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page