Salt dough no fail recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-01-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to make some dough to do handprint tree ornaments.
I've googled for recipes and tried one but it didn't work for us - too hard for trying to make an impression. I really don't want to try a bunch of recipes. Does anybody have a good one that they use? Doesn't have to be alt dough, just something I don't have to bake.
#2 of 5 Old 12-01-2006, 10:32 PM

You could've added some flour & water to the dough and tried sprinkling flour on top so their hands wouldn't stick.

When I was looking this up a few weeks ago, all of the recipes called for 1 C. Salt, 1 + C. water and anywhere from 1 to 4 C. Flour. I just had to keep messing with it until I got it the way I wanted it. I tried the 1 to 1 ratio & the 1 to 3 ratio... both had to be tinkered with.

But, hopefully somebody will have a good tried & true recipe!
#3 of 5 Old 12-02-2006, 10:49 AM

I tried the following recipe for the first time this year. Usually I make a recipe that requires baking and then I'm terrified they are going to burn. (The guilt if I ever ruined their ornaments!!!) We made these earlier this week and they are almost dry now -- we'll probably paint them tomorrow. I was able to make an impression and then "cut" around the handprint. My daughter also made adorable ornaments -- she made sculptures as though she was working with playdough, we poked a hole for the ribbon and let them dry. They look amazing! They dry with a bit of sparkle which she loves.

Air Dry or Bake Clay
1 cup flour

1/2 cup salt

1/2 cup water

Mix together the dry ingredients. Mix constantly while adding the water slowly. You may not need all the water. The mixture should not be sticky.

Knead 10 minutes until the dough is firm.

Roll out the dough to about ¼ inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters (just like you would cookies).

Store extra in a plastic bag for up to 3 weeks.

You can let air dry for 48 hours (in a dry, breezy location)

OR

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Bake on a foil covered cookie sheet for about 30 minutes or until light brown.

Paint with acrylic or tempra paints. (acrylic cover better, but don't wash out of clothes)
#4 of 5 Old 12-02-2006, 10:49 AM

I should add ... I did use more flour. I just kept adding a pinch into the dough was nice and smooth (not sticky) and then the dough was very easy to use!
#5 of 5 Old 12-02-2006, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
plaster of paris works nicely, too.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page