Sew not serge fleece? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-11-2006, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there any way to sew fleece, not serge it? I own a sewing machine, but not a serger. Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!
Laura

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#2 of 14 Old 12-11-2006, 01:58 PM

What are you making? I sew fleece all the time and have no problems at all. I've used fleece to make scarves, hats, gloves, blankets, etc. I mostly use my serger for making diapering items or to finish seams in bag construction etc. Sergers really just offer a different way to sew, to finish seams or hem pants not necessarily for different fabrics.

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#3 of 14 Old 12-11-2006, 01:58 PM

You can use a zz stitch. I only recently got a serger and have sewn fleece before without one. Although, I do find that a walking foot makes it easier.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#4 of 14 Old 12-11-2006, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBaby View Post
What are you making? I sew fleece all the time and have no problems at all. I've used fleece to make scarves, hats, gloves, blankets, etc. I mostly use my serger for making diapering items or to finish seams in bag construction etc. Sergers really just offer a different way to sew, to finish seams or hem pants not necessarily for different fabrics.
I actually haven't even tried to make anything because I thought I needed a serger. I'd like to make some fleece sweatshirts, though. My kids love them and so do I!

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#5 of 14 Old 12-11-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLoo View Post
I actually haven't even tried to make anything because I thought I needed a serger. I'd like to make some fleece sweatshirts, though. My kids love them and so do I!
you'll be fine with a sewing machine, mama!! i really like kwik sew patterns, they are easy to read, easy to cut out and have great directions.

Actually, fleece doesn't fray, so really even a straight stitch would be fine. Have fun!!

#6 of 14 Old 12-11-2006, 04:46 PM

I've had no problems sewing fleece with a plain straight stitch, except that it's really hard to rip back out if you make a mistake. Not that I have extensive expirience with ripping out seams or anything.

Mama to a goofy : girl and babycakes :
#7 of 14 Old 12-11-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallriverfox View Post
I've had no problems sewing fleece with a plain straight stitch, except that it's really hard to rip back out if you make a mistake. Not that I have extensive expirience with ripping out seams or anything.

my seam ripper and I are *very* close!!

#8 of 14 Old 12-11-2006, 08:24 PM

Yup, easy peasy -- I love sewing with fleece. I always use a zig zag though, so the fabric will stretch the way it normally does even if you are tugging on a seam.
#9 of 14 Old 12-11-2006, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yippy Skippy! Thanks for all the replies --- I'm going to get some fleece and a pattern or two as soon as I can!

#10 of 14 Old 12-11-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonamon View Post
Yup, easy peasy -- I love sewing with fleece. I always use a zig zag though, so the fabric will stretch the way it normally does even if you are tugging on a seam.
Me too on the zz. I actually have a couple of KS books and a bunch of patterns. I think she recommends a zz stitch for alot of stuff. Love the zz!~

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#11 of 14 Old 12-15-2006, 02:09 PM

I just made a pair of fleece pants for ds and zz the hem. If you pull the fabric as you zz, you will get a ruffle, similar to tulle or any other fabric with stretch. I pulled it *just a smidge* since my plan was for them to look like elf pants. Fleece is great, though, because the edges don't have to be finished, depending on the project.
#12 of 14 Old 12-16-2006, 08:01 PM

I just wanted to add that is think it is necessary or at least recommended to use polyester thread when sewing fleece. I sew lots of fleece with my old machine, and find it very easy to work with.
#13 of 14 Old 12-18-2006, 08:12 AM

I have sewed with fleece alot and have not found a need to even use the zz stich as fleece doesn't fray. It's such an easy fabric to work with... very forgiving!
#14 of 14 Old 12-23-2006, 12:35 PM

make sure to pick a stitch that is made for knits otherwise the fabric stretches, the thread doesnt and it goes POP as happens with my HP scarf all the time

knit stitches have more thread in them - the straight stitch does something like forward once, back once and forward twice or somethign weird like that

its not necessary but you can also use the technique of hand winding the bobbin with wooly nylon. its a thread that has some stretch built into it. polyarn has the same feature but is made of polyester so it has a better tolerance for heat (ie ironing or the dryer)

dont forget to reduce the pressure on the foot when you sew it! unless you want the crazy waves : )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page