ARGH! Felting problem; need advice ASAP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-03-2003, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This really should teach me not to wait til the last minute to make gifts!

So I have this snazzy old Pendleton skirt that I wanted to felt to make something out of the fabric. Problem is, it REEKS of mothballs. I've washed it with oxyclean and detergent and now I'm trying it with vinegar and detergent but I'm not sure that will work and if it doesn't I'm out of ideas.
Does anyone know how to get the stench of mothballs out of wool?
#2 of 5 Old 05-04-2003, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Huh. Well the vinegar mostly worked; I'd say the smell is 90% gone.

So there it is, in case anyone else ever runs into that particular problem.

I swear, sometimes I feel like I"m talking to myself. :LOL
#3 of 5 Old 05-05-2003, 02:16 PM

This is good to know.

I bought a very cool sweater at a thrift store a while back that reeked of moth balls.....I wash several times, left it out in the sun with sprinkled baking soda and nothing...I finally threw it away. Next time I know what works....thanks.
#4 of 5 Old 05-05-2003, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, I've done that a time or two- thrown something away or re-donated it because it smelled so barfy.

I left the lid open on my washing machine (distracted? moi?!) so it ended up soaking for at least an hour. That may have made some difference.

FWIW, I've been battling nasty-washing-machine-sour smell and my mom turned me on to the idea of tossing a few glugs of vinegar in now and then. It works extremely well to deodorize the washer. I just run it thru with my towels which probably helps them, too. Oh the joys of living in a moldy climate.
#5 of 5 Old 05-14-2003, 05:35 PM

Vinegar is great to get just about anything out.

I bought one of those downy softener balls, then fill it with vinegar and toss it in the wash. It opens up during the rinse cycle (somehow) and is great to get all the detergent/laundry soap out, super clean diapes and descent them as well.

Another good use for it is to soak any shirts that have stains in the underams. The stain is not usually from perspiration, but from antiperspirant. I just soak that part of my husband's tshirts in straight vinegar over night (or until I remember!!) and then wash as usual.

...course it's great to clean your house too...take away pet odors...disenfect, and it's SOOOO cheap.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page