Could we make a list of make-at-home toys? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 358 Old 10-25-2008, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Another use for those metal round frozen jucie concentrate lids is a memory game. When I was a teacher I would put a sticker on each one and make pairs (ie: 2 fairy stickers, 2 with bear stickers etc) of them. They make a great memory game that doesnt get bent like normal cards do. The kids really loved them.

I dont think this has been mentioned but I have also made storybook glove puppets. You take your childs fav story and make a glove puppet. GEt a cheap glove and sew/glue whatever a mini puppet to each finger. This is great for the song 5 little monkeys. for that song you would start with all 5 fingers up and then hide the monkey (your finger) as each falls off the bed. We did this with goldilocks and the 3 bears. Since it is just one or 2 gloves it only needs one adult to use it instead of full size hand puppets.

I hope that makes sense without seeing it in action.
#242 of 358 Old 10-25-2008, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Totally off-topic, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sorta-fairytale View Post
"If breastfeeding in public makes people uneasy because the breasts are considered sexual then bottle-feeding must be the equivalent of whipping out a dildo."

I love this quote! Where is it from?
#243 of 358 Old 10-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckpond View Post
Totally off-topic, but

I love this quote! Where is it from?
got it from a mama on a birth board
#244 of 358 Old 10-25-2008, 11:24 PM

Anyone have a cape pattern for a toddler?

and a really simple fabric doll pattern?

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#245 of 358 Old 10-26-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

and a really simple fabric doll pattern?
For the cape pattern this one looks really simple
and here is a cute tutorial for a crown to complete the set http://balancingeverything.com/2008/...rown-tutorial/ I made 3 today one for each of the kids out of acrylic felt that I had in our craft cupboard. They were a hit.

Here is a pattern for a simple doll http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/doll.html that I thought turned out really sweet.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#246 of 358 Old 10-26-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-sorta-fairytale View Post
Another use for those metal round frozen jucie concentrate lids is a memory game. When I was a teacher I would put a sticker on each one and make pairs (ie: 2 fairy stickers, 2 with bear stickers etc) of them. They make a great memory game that doesnt get bent like normal cards do. The kids really loved them.

I dont think this has been mentioned but I have also made storybook glove puppets. You take your childs fav story and make a glove puppet. GEt a cheap glove and sew/glue whatever a mini puppet to each finger. This is great for the song 5 little monkeys. for that song you would start with all 5 fingers up and then hide the monkey (your finger) as each falls off the bed. We did this with goldilocks and the 3 bears. Since it is just one or 2 gloves it only needs one adult to use it instead of full size hand puppets.

I hope that makes sense without seeing it in action.
Since it's fall, we've been doing a lot of "5 Little Pumpkins." I may have to implement this glove idea.

ETA: I also saw somewhere that a mom used wooden embroidery hoops for dress-up: Put a playsilk or and cloth (scarve, receiving blanket, whatever) into the embroidery hoop somewhat loosely, and the child can use it as a hat. Put it in tightly and the child can balance it on block columns for a roof on a block house. I thought that was such a great, simple toy with TONS of opportunity for the imagination to flourish.
#247 of 358 Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffykenwell View Post
and here is a cute tutorial for a crown to complete the set http://balancingeverything.com/2008/...rown-tutorial/ I made 3 today one for each of the kids out of acrylic felt that I had in our craft cupboard. They were a hit.

Here is a pattern for a simple doll http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/doll.html that I thought turned out really sweet.

Steph
THANKS SO MUCH!...i really want to make my ds a doll for when new baby comes(hes got one doll, a cabbage patch that he cant sleep with cause of the hard face!)..and I wanted to make him a cape for solstice! THANKS AGAIN

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#248 of 358 Old 10-29-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
I knitted this in green yarn for my ds to make a really cute hobbit cloak. Only took two weeks to knit (I work full time, so I wasn't knitting every day either).

http://www.fortheloveofyarn.com/Issu...ittlered.shtml
#249 of 358 Old 10-29-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffykenwell View Post

Steph

I'm not getting how to make to dolls head spherical. I've been only making dolls so far for this reason. Can anyone explain it?
#250 of 358 Old 10-30-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
I'm not getting how to make to dolls head spherical. I've been only making dolls so far for this reason. Can anyone explain it?
You make a ball with your stuffing, and then put the ball in stockingette, or in my case, since it's cheap and easy, old pantyhose. Tie off the end with a piece of string, leaving some stuffing and material at the bottom to form shoulders later, and you have a little sphere. Then - if you're doing a Waldorf doll- you tie strings around to make an indentation where the eyes will be, and another perpendicular to those, over the top and under the chin. To cover it with the skin fabric, take a square of fabric and wrap around the head so the two ends meet at the back. Seam up the back and then fold it down over the top, kind of the way you fold down wrapping paper over a gift, and sew. Or you can close it up with a running stitch.

Does that make sense at all??

Of course if you just want a simple sphere,don't worry about the strings.

http://thesilverpenny.homestead.com/...irections.html

http://simmy.typepad.com/echoesofadr...instructi.html

http://www.tiptoefairy.com/jointeddollsewalong1.htm

http://moonchildhandworkstudio.blogs...doll-head.html
#251 of 358 Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 AM

This isn't really something I made at home, but The Toy Maker is a great site where you are print off all kinds of paper toys and fold and create boxes, puppet theatres, even fairy furniture! So maybe something to go with something you are making, or just an exciting gift box. Plus, if you print on cardstock, the little items last a long time. And it's all free. Check it out: www.thetoymaker.com

wife to treehugger.gif, mama to carrot.gif(7/06) and joy.gif(4/09), plusdog2.gif

#252 of 358 Old 11-04-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Robin* View Post
This isn't really something I made at home, but The Toy Maker is a great site where you are print off all kinds of paper toys and fold and create boxes, puppet theatres, even fairy furniture! So maybe something to go with something you are making, or just an exciting gift box. Plus, if you print on cardstock, the little items last a long time. And it's all free. Check it out: www.thetoymaker.com
That is AWESOME. If you want to make your own you could just copy how it's laid out and put your own artwork on there.
#253 of 358 Old 11-05-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Robin* View Post
I went to the link you posted. Thank you so much for posting this! These are so beautiful. My daughters are going to love these. We even have a printer that can handle this project now! Yay!

How do you find wonderful things like this on the net? It seems that whenever I am trying to find specific things, i am online for hours weeding through all I do not want to find the one thing I need.
#254 of 358 Old 11-05-2008, 06:16 PM

subbing
#255 of 358 Old 11-05-2008, 09:46 PM

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet. I've recently discovered the Sew Mama Sew! blog and they have some really great ideas. This Rocket Man pattern is free, and it is soooo cute! I know I'm going to have to make at least one of them. I'm also making this fabric bird mobile.
#256 of 358 Old 11-09-2008, 01:50 AM

Great thread! I have so many ideas my head is buzzing!
#257 of 358 Old 11-09-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
That is AWESOME. If you want to make your own you could just copy how it's laid out and put your own artwork on there.
Some of the things she has on there are blank for that very reason.
http://thetoymaker.com/Toypages/36Bl...ystocolor.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkincat View Post
How do you find wonderful things like this on the net? It seems that whenever I am trying to find specific things, i am online for hours weeding through all I do not want to find the one thing I need.
It takes a while to find good things online sometimes. I teach part time and I keep a Web site of activities for kids, some online, some like the toy maker, so I've had a LOT of time to find things.

BTW, everything my kids at school have printed from this site (which has to be almost everything by now) has turned out beautifully. She really doesn't have a bad 'toy' on there.

wife to treehugger.gif, mama to carrot.gif(7/06) and joy.gif(4/09), plusdog2.gif

#258 of 358 Old 11-09-2008, 10:51 PM

could infant links also be included?
#259 of 358 Old 11-13-2008, 04:26 AM

Wow! Im so glad I found this site, thanks for the great ideas everyone!

Im currently making some felt cookies and teabags for my 2 yr old DS. Im also hoping to make some felt stockings for our advent calendar and some treasure rocks for my cousins and nephew.
#260 of 358 Old 11-16-2008, 09:20 PM

bump and subscribe!
#261 of 358 Old 11-20-2008, 02:43 AM

bump

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#262 of 358 Old 11-21-2008, 03:20 PM

subbing

i just found this.. my next adventure

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...p_crayons.html

its for homemade bath soap crayons

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
#263 of 358 Old 11-24-2008, 03:22 PM

Love this thread! My fav quickie gift of all time are fleece scarves. Just adjust the size to the size person you're making it for.

Super simple. Take a piece of fleece. I usually buy it in 1 yd pieces unless it's a really good sale. 1 yd not on sale runs about $4.50, but sometimes I can find it on the $1 rack. Lay on a flat surface & cut into strips (a rotary cutter with a backer works great for this if you have it). Take each strip & cut fringe into the ends. No need to hem because fleece does fray. Just make sure to get the fleece that is fuzzy on both sides. I get 5-10 scarves per yard depending on how wide I'm making them. If you like your fringe curled just start up near the top of each piece you cut (where it's still attached to the scarf) and pull firmly down, pinching it between your fingers.
#264 of 358 Old 11-26-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janerose View Post
Love this thread! My fav quickie gift of all time are fleece scarves. Just adjust the size to the size person you're making it for.

Super simple. Take a piece of fleece. I usually buy it in 1 yd pieces unless it's a really good sale. 1 yd not on sale runs about $4.50, but sometimes I can find it on the $1 rack. Lay on a flat surface & cut into strips (a rotary cutter with a backer works great for this if you have it). Take each strip & cut fringe into the ends. No need to hem because fleece does fray. Just make sure to get the fleece that is fuzzy on both sides. I get 5-10 scarves per yard depending on how wide I'm making them. If you like your fringe curled just start up near the top of each piece you cut (where it's still attached to the scarf) and pull firmly down, pinching it between your fingers.
Or instead of fringeing, you could do a wide blanket stitch for a folksy look.
#265 of 358 Old 11-26-2008, 11:49 PM

subbing!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#266 of 358 Old 11-27-2008, 03:45 AM

Great ideas! I have recently decided to make most of our toys, dolls, playthings thanks in part to the Creative Family and the gorgeous items here. I'm finding a great need for the simple and beautiful. I never knew I could actually do these things myself.
After sewing the children's halloween costumes this year I began to realize the other neat things I could do!
#267 of 358 Old 11-27-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehndi mama View Post
My dad made something similar for my boys, only for screwdriver skills rather than hammering. He took a block of maple, drilled holes in it, and installed those steel screw-sleeve thingies - they keep the hole from stripping out when you screw a screw in and out repeatedly. Then he put 4 different screws in the block - standard, Phillips head, hex bolt, and hex socket (that you use an allen wrench to move).
What a cute idea! Also love the hammer log.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#268 of 358 Old 11-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Banned

This mouse is easy and cute:
http://www.sewingstars.com/mousepattern.htm
#269 of 358 Old 11-29-2008, 05:51 PM

Aw, that mouse is super cute! Thanks for the link

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#270 of 358 Old 11-30-2008, 06:18 PM

Here's my knitted food:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ver/art005.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ver/art004.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...r/art006-1.jpg

And doll bassinet/purse:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ver/art003.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ver/art001.jpg

I also ordered a blank game board kit (blank board, money, spinner, hourglass, etc. $7!) from Bare Books and bought some blank wooden peg people from Michael's so I'm making a family adventure game for ds.

Tags
Arts Crafts , Wooden Toys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page