What do I need to start needle felting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2006, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have way too many craft ideas (i.e. $$ spent on crafts) already, but I am thinking about spending some of my birthday money on crafts and want to try this. Can someone suggest a good book and basic supplies, please? I'd love to do a Kathy Kruse-like nativity set for next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 AM

All you actually need is a needle and some wool. When I took it up (which was quite recently) my mother treated me to the whole shabbang though and it is handy. She got me one of these http://www.clover-usa.com/dyn_prod.p...3874&p=CLV8900 and this http://www.clover-usa.com/dyn_prod.p...3874&p=CLV8910 and roving at our LYS. There are other versions of the multi-needle holder around on the web but the clover is the only one at my LYS, it's nice it has a shield that locks when not in use and is springy. The mat is really just an overpriced scrub brush but mom bought it for me anyway b/c it is clean stable and the bristles are the perfect depth for the multi-needle tool.

I didn't bother with a book or anything I just looked at so online instructions. Here are the instructions to make a ladybug http://www.mielkesfarm.com/ladybug_dir.htm . Here are the instuctions for dolls http://www.blacksheepdesigns.com/fel...structions.htm .

So far I've made a gnome and a toy car, and broken 2 needles. The gnome is entirely from roving and quite firm, especially after I washed then sent him for a ride in the dryer. The bulk of the car is old sweaters I felted in the washing machine. The sweaters only sort of hold together on there own needle felted you definitely need the roving to firm everything up.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 12-31-2006, 04:59 AM

You can use a thick piece of foam or a pice of rigid foam insulation for a work surface too. I would invest in extra needles as especially in the beginning you break a lot of them. I got a multineedle set from Maplerose in Canada and had roving already. For the insides of my creations I use wool batting from mostly meat breed sheep (it is easy to get it free around here) and wash it on my own and have it processed but I know I have seen good prices for batting mentioned in here or in doll crafts forum. I use roving for the outsides. There are a few fun books around but really if you just play around with the materials, starting simply with a ball and figuring out what works for you, it is pretty simple stuff. Have fun with it! It is easy to get hooked! You can see a few of my creations on my blog.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much. Antannie, your felted toys are adorable! I got interested in this when I read one of your posts a couple of months ago and saw your work. It is lovely.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:41 AM

Thank you Colleen!

User Tag List